• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Whiten my Classic's inlays..!

Argoth

Hello fellow Les Paul owners !

First, just so you know I'm french, so mistakes are..well normals I guess ?

I've got this Classic Premium Plus Les Paul from 94, and obviously the inlays seem a bit green.

I know it's not that noticeable, but with all the threads around about this matter, I'm beginning to be a little paranoiac about it..!

So here's a picture where we can't really see the greenish tone

But as soon as a few lights hit the wood, it really pops out (IMO)

Example here on a live

So my question was, will I be able to dye it with an halogen lamp ? I know the sun's UVs work better, but we're on winter and sun doesn't really like showing his face right now...

I know it make take a bit longer (maybe a whole week at close range like 1 meter ?) But it will still work right ?

Anyway, thanks for your consideration and your answers ! :)

Big Al

That's the way they are. I know of no easy way to lighten them, and I'm not sure UV exposer will do it. It may darken them!! Wish I had an answer.

toxpert

You can always replace the inlays and the greenish glue that was used.

Replacing the inlays is a relatively simple task that many forum members have posted 'how to' threads.

JJC

Welcome to the forum, Argoth. No need to apologize for your English, it's very good. A joke told to me by a German friend:
What do you call a person who can speak two languages? Bi-lingual.
What do you call a person who can speak three languages? Tri-lingual.
What do you call a person who can speak one language? American. :)

I believe others here have found that UV turns the inlays more of a darker gray color, but replacement would probably be the easier method.

J T

The bottom of the inlay cut out on the Classic fretboard has yellow glue. The inlays are a bit translucent so that yellow beneath contributes to the yellow/green hue of the inlay. You would have to remove the inlay and clean out the cavity to change the color.

Argoth

Thanks everyone for your replies !

I really don't mind a dark grey tone if I can get rid of those yellow-green inlays...
I hope the UV light of an halogen will do the trick

However, I will look around for those threads on how to swap the said inlays, but still, I'd rather have it done by a professional (will it be expensive ?)

I've already found a few perloid inlays for Les pauls, but I have been told the Classic's cavities are of a different shape, so I might need to re-cut them. That's a problem here as I don't have any tool for that ! (but still if a guitar shop can do this, it's no problem, only the price matters...!)

Argoth

Well, as I realized you guys quite like it the way she was, I decided not to swap the inlays.

However, I think the halogen light managed to lighten them up a bit
Judge for yourself (first pic without effect, second with a few contrast added)

trapland

Ive seen some rediculous yellow green inlays on some classics. Ive also seen
some that just had a subtle aged look and looked great. Yours looks great.

DMartini

very nice guitar :salude
is the reason the inlays are that colour to differentiate them from a 1960 RI?