• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Maybe I bought the wrong LP?

Thunderheart

Hey Guy's:

I have a question. I've seen the posts about the 2015 LP'S and some earlier models. I'm not the historian that many of you are so please bear with me.

I bought a new 2012 LP Standard. The first delivery was pretty messed up so I had the store reorder another - (I'm a lefty so I'm at the mercy of ordering). The second was better but still not pristine. But what is? So I accepted it with a few very minor blemishes never knowing there is contention at Gibson.

Once I got it home I cleaned it and put my strings on it and it plays fine. The question is; Are these 2012 models in some way inferior?

JJC

Not inferior, just different, more modern features from the more traditional Les Paul. If it plays and sounds good and you like it, that's all that matters. Post some photos, we'd love to see it.

Texas Blues

Hey Guy's:

I have a question. I've seen the posts about the 2015 LP'S and some earlier models. I'm not the historian that many of you are so please bear with me.

I bought a new 2012 LP Standard. The first delivery was pretty messed up so I had the store reorder another - (I'm a lefty so I'm at the mercy of ordering). The second was better but still not pristine. But what is? So I accepted it with a few very minor blemishes never knowing there is contention at Gibson.

Once I got it home I cleaned it and put my strings on it and it plays fine. The question is; Are these 2012 models in some way inferior?

A Les Paul is a Les Paul, thats it.

Your Les Paul is legit as any.

Some will poo poo that 2012's have 2 piece boards but there is not a person on the

planet that would be able to tell the difference on an audible level.

Play your guitar.

Stroke it.

Pet it.

If she sounds and feels good, thats all that matters.

And yes, please post pics of that bitch.

We love bitches!

Thunderheart

Thanks for the responses I really appreciate it. You save your pennies and finally get that one LP you really wanted it's good to know its not inferior.

I would like to post a photo but not sure how to do it.

Doc Sausage

Look, it's not a '59. Every guitar from that point forward falls short of the glory of Les. Ok, maybe a '60 gets grandfathered in just cuz it's, well, so close to a '59. But hey, look on the bright side, in 55 years, yours will be just like a '59! Only it won't be a '59. It'll be a 2012.

Seriously, as TB says, if you like it and it speaks with a honk accent, embrace it and make some beautiful music. Or just turn it up to 11 and annoy the neighbors.:dude:

(And remember, those blemishes, they're called, Mojo and you could have paid through the nose if someone had put them on there purposely:ganz )

sonar

Like the other's said, it's about the relationship between you and the particular guitar. As far as I know there is nothing inherently wrong with the 2012 models as a whole.

As a lefty I feel for you. The choices suck. Because of lack of choice, availability (and another person's influence) I learned to play right handed.

JJC

Thanks for the responses I really appreciate it. You save your pennies and finally get that one LP you really wanted it's good to know its not inferior.

I would like to post a photo but not sure how to do it.

You have to open an account with a free hosting site like Photobucket and then you post the link to a particular photo in the body of the message. A couple of the features of your guitar not found on a traditional Les Paul or Historic are the assymetrical neck (which many like) and the push-pull pots for more tone options. Tuners are locking, I believe..stuff like that. The two-piece fretboard that Texas Blues mentioned stemmed from the government raid on Gibson's factory in which illegal rosewood was seized - forcing Gibson to sandwich two thinner sheets of Rosewood to make the fretboard for the 2012 models. It's highly unlikely you could tell a difference in sound, but those spending large dollars for a Historic expect specs based on those vintage guitars. On a USA Standard, which doesn't try for vintage specs, it's much less of a gripe.

Thunderheart

Thanks for more great information. I'll work on that photo - I'm a technical Neanderthal.:biggrin:

Yeah being a lefty can be a real pain. Music stores full of all those great guitars and maybe two I can try out. I play in the traditional method - low E on the top - so flipping a righty over and playing doesn't work. I watch Doyle Bramhall II play, his high E on the top....it's gives me a headache. I can't imagine how he does it.

Texas Blues

Thanks for more great information. I'll work on that photo - I'm a technical Neanderthal.:biggrin:

Yeah being a lefty can be a real pain. Music stores full of all those great guitars and maybe two I can try out. I play in the traditional method - low E on the top - so flipping a righty over and playing doesn't work. I watch Doyle Bramhall II play, his high E on the top....it's gives me a headache. I can't imagine how he does it.

Funny.

Jimi could flip it and still rock it and freaked folks out.

Albert King was a stone lefty too that also played it flipped.

Folks are still trying to figure out how to play like him.

Doyle II is a monster.

Have mercy if I could be a lefty like that.

Do your 'thang and play what you got the way you know.

Thunderheart

Texas Blues:

Saw Hendrix and Albert several times (Geezer). Doyle caught my attention on his fathers album, Bird Nest on the Ground. Then he played with the Arc Angels and really dug in. A monster is right. Whoa.

Saw you playing- Muddy Waters -man you got some blues in you. If I had a third of your talent I would be happy.

Long story about why I play left handed. But best saved for another time.