• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2015 Les Pauls, what are they smoking?

engineer

I don't get the hate either.

It's like with any business. If you don't like the products, don't buy'em. Vote with your wallet. Most businesses tend to be sensitive to this.

Myself, I have been looking to buy my first Les Paul for the past 3 years. Spent 4 years prior to that looking for an upgrade to my teen guitar. During that time I was looking at everything (including Les Pauls) before I found my Baja Tele which is a wonderful guitar.

When I first got my hands on the 2015 range I was really drawn to the necks which felt amazing. Before I was not really sure If I wanted the 50s or 60s style. They seemed to differ so much and learned that they do that since they're all hand made. So I played a lot of Les Pauls.
Luckily I did not purchase a 2015 Studio as planned since my money went elsewhere (story of everybody's life, right?) but recently they slashed prices here in Sweden and I got a 2015 LP Classic in Vintage Sunburst.

Here she is:

20596988633_c362acbc25_z.jpg

Isn't she beautiful?

I really like the G-Force system. It helps out a lot. I was able to tune my guitars before as well, but this is just easier. And so far It has worked fine.
It has a '57 Classic by the neck and a Super 57 by the bridge that sounds amazing to me. The neck feels great, the pearl inlays look great.
The removable pick guard is also amazing. Why they have not done this previously is beyond me.

I'm sure if my charger broke or when the battery get's too old I could get a new one. If not, I'd probably replace it with either another tuning system or just plain old classic tuners.

So, what's not to like?

EDIT: Oh, and the case is awesome! It's really nice inside and sturdy.

Last edited:

DanD

That's a sweet looking Classic. Very 'classic' finish and flame there! :salude

How does the removable pickguard work?

I've got a couple that came without guards and I really don't want to drill the top but would like to protect it a bit while playing.

hoss

Latest skinny from Germany:

Europe's largest music store Thomann so far did not renew it's Gibson contract for 2016 and is now offering Tokai and FGN guitars.
And Austria's largest dealer, Klangfarbe, has now also denied to renew the contract with Gibson.

Kris Ford

I have to say the above is a very narrow minded, ill-informed, attitude in my opinion. A lot of great Gibsons have been made in the HJ era. To dismiss them all is foolish...

Even almost a year later this comment pisses me off.:pisd
Why didn't you make a negative comment to those who agreed with me?
Am I not allowed to have a preference??
Have you considered the fact that I prefer a certain era??
If so, please keep negativity like this away from me.
Have you considered that my opinion is VERY well informed, and based on negative experiences, let downs and lots of money in the toilet, something that I can't say about ANY Kalamazoo made Gibson I've ever owned, even "Norlins"..side by side comparisons between old and new, have resulted in pretty drastic differences..so for me, the Kzoo wins every time. I have no need to buy anything new.
Do you think I just pulled this comment out of my ass??
I'm a fool then. A fool that prefers Kalamazoo made Gibsons and does not like person in charge of the company now known as Gibson.
And my opinion is also based on PRINCIPAL. I DO NOT LIKE THE MAN, THEREFORE I WILL NOT SUPPORT HIS BUSINESS.
It's my right as a consumer.

What bums me out most, is I actually thought you were a cool guy, posting your early 70's pics with the red JMP stack and the SG Standard, I totally thought someone like you could understand my point of view..I guess not..

theartman

• Huge price increase
  • Ugly headstock logo
  • Super wide fretboard
  • E-Tuners

Check out this video, insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPHKBX7iJt8

My prediction: We will see blow out sales in 12 months.

The "ugly" Logo and hologram is a tribute celebrating LP's B-day and is his "actual" signature unlike all the others which are not his. People act as if these are permanate changes they are not...gez. The fret board is not "super wide". Yes its wider but hardly noticeable...to me anyway. The G-Force is not for everyone but mine works great...and if anything...is damn cool. You are correct however on the sales....since all the negativity want tumbling thru the internet (the majority basing opinions without hands on experience) I was able to score my 2015 cherry sunburst traditional LP for $1800 out the door and I thank you!! It is the most beautiful best playing LP i heve ever set my paws on...and the zero weight reduction makes it feel like a true solid well made battle Ax!!!:dude:

Tokyo Mike

Its all a matter of taste. Just as some guys like tall chicks, some guys like short chicks with hairy backs.

Thanks God 2015 only lasted 12 months.

Telechamp

Scored my 2015 LP Special Double Cut a month or so ago for $599.99 on close-out, and love it.

MdidxrF.jpg

Last edited:

1all's Pub

The "ugly" Logo and hologram is a tribute celebrating LP's B-day and is his "actual" signature unlike all the others which are not his. People act as if these are permanate changes they are not...gez. The fret board is not "super wide". Yes its wider but hardly noticeable...to me anyway. The G-Force is not for everyone but mine works great...and if anything...is damn cool. You are correct however on the sales....since all the negativity want tumbling thru the internet (the majority basing opinions without hands on experience) I was able to score my 2015 cherry sunburst traditional LP for $1800 out the door and I thank you!! It is the most beautiful best playing LP i heve ever set my paws on...and the zero weight reduction makes it feel like a true solid well made battle Ax!!!:dude:

Glad you like yours... you got a heckuva deal... that's like what $1000 off the original 2015 price! Sure goes to show just how poorly the 2015s sold though. Just sayin'.

As for the logo & hologram... clearly it was meant as a way to honor the man on what would have been his 100th year... BUT... fact is, it's ugly and ill-conceived... and even if it's just a one year thing... "ugly" and "ill-conceived" is made no better by adding "short-lived" to its description other than to offer solace by virtue of the fact that it will only last one year. Again... just sayin'.

But again... as long as you like it and you're happy with your new LP... that's all that matters. Congrats may you play it well and for many years and may it become a family heirloom your grandkids play! :) And who knows maybe some day it will be collectible for its... uniqueness. :)

renderit

That is a sharp looking guitar! And I like the case as well. And at that price.....SCORE!

DanD

That is a sharp looking guitar! And I like the case as well. And at that price.....SCORE!

+1

I'm going to stop by the local big box git stores and see what's up....

I'd like to try the wider board with a regular nut and 1 3/4“ string spacing. :yah

engineer

NOBODY wants that freaking wide neck!

Well that, sir, is just wrong.

I LOVE the wider neck on my 2015 Classic which you can see above. The neck is the reason I bought the guitar.
Oh, the price helped too.

engineer

Scored my 2015 LP Special Double Cut a month or so ago for $599.99 on close-out, and love it.

I can see it's a 3-piece body, but that grain looks lovely!
And the case, I just love mine. Can't understand why they went back to the old case again.

Telechamp

I can see it's a 3-piece body, but that grain looks lovely!
And the case, I just love mine. Can't understand why they went back to the old case again.

Yep, it's definitely a 3-piece body - but as you say, the grain is really nice on this one. Mine's really light as well, and plays and sounds great. It was the only '15 LP Special Double Cut in the store (GC) at the time, but I'm glad I got this particular one.

And I agree about the case - I really like these 2015 gold cases. They look great (IMO), and are really sturdy as well.

VTOCXNH.jpg

Last edited:

AeroFishOne

I went to Guitar Center a couple weeks ago with the intention of grabbing my first Traditional. I had my mind set on a 2016 Trad but all they had were standards. The guy I deal with most of the time said the 2015s were showing $1999 on sale but they ended up being 1699. I had the option of purchasing a Blue or honeyburst. The honeyburst played great even with the wide neck and had a beautiful top. Tried a 2015 Standard but I hated the thin wide neck. Long story not so short, I went home with it.
The gforce while nice in theory is too cumbersome and slow mechanically to be any advantage. So far I'm really enjoying it.

aspirantfail

And I agree about the case - I really like these 2015 gold cases. They look great (IMO), and are really sturdy as well.

IMG_2064%20copy_zpsducmdew6.jpg

I dig these too. They look like the torpedo tube they buried Spock in. :peace2

I just bagged one of these myself in yesterday's Black Friday blowouts. Its a Cherry one. Amazon.co.uk.

Wait for it .. .£389. To go with the Less Plus I got for £289 in January. At those prices, I hope they don't go out of business! :hee

CdHei98j5mYXmJPT-NZdncwmO7mM-61utLvL1Ji2OcJVHL6gaY-8ZC00jjcjYEPOTV4drK_3kCDRp-v8katYLB-3JOOnseSv3FHdht-D_Ad1H0-h14-I4oCIZkab5VNKbAFCPp5VUzXxBZrWAeM-uG06r5KNilXfYbw8tVdFN0EN0I8o3OWgQCgW9m6OympknhrCXHvZXAscKPz-AdubvvVoKhrmH9LH_kMlIW2f_Q3BsToW7nJOO_4pJabMjW3dGm-3QF--OvJh9_YV3rh0uQyDYuIQxjCYQvZuOP_RTVnNb1NHI41i-eoPP0U00dVXeaWWLqz3uryq5mqtGBc7LZDwJ0nAEVfODB56z5VGLjlm0rIIANroVSLuHQapSekFSG1KLcelgJLOWSvgHysNlY_ZMJWLVUHi34SeABUkVslR9ytyJBS1XtcgqH8pktElPX30lNEXDMmtcjQwCTZFXEXIkofvSjzkJvafdqRCpOCx4yt-bCTiBf8jCw89z_H2yyVnllYfthVbEO_aWdNb4GG1eZiFS1ZyH7KzS1z90xXm_ENoWgIm4M_W2sjn_25dq_r73iqWUsFYNxDh2jUxxIC5QmfemLv7w4OAAw52REn4r8mI=w660-h387-no

OldStrummer

I dig these too. They look like the torpedo tube they buried Spock in. :peace2

I just bagged one of these myself in yesterday's Black Friday blowouts. Its a Cherry one. Amazon.co.uk.

Wait for it .. .£389. To go with the Less Plus I got for £289 in January. At those prices, I hope they don't go out of business! :hee

CdHei98j5mYXmJPT-NZdncwmO7mM-61utLvL1Ji2OcJVHL6gaY-8ZC00jjcjYEPOTV4drK_3kCDRp-v8katYLB-3JOOnseSv3FHdht-D_Ad1H0-h14-I4oCIZkab5VNKbAFCPp5VUzXxBZrWAeM-uG06r5KNilXfYbw8tVdFN0EN0I8o3OWgQCgW9m6OympknhrCXHvZXAscKPz-AdubvvVoKhrmH9LH_kMlIW2f_Q3BsToW7nJOO_4pJabMjW3dGm-3QF--OvJh9_YV3rh0uQyDYuIQxjCYQvZuOP_RTVnNb1NHI41i-eoPP0U00dVXeaWWLqz3uryq5mqtGBc7LZDwJ0nAEVfODB56z5VGLjlm0rIIANroVSLuHQapSekFSG1KLcelgJLOWSvgHysNlY_ZMJWLVUHi34SeABUkVslR9ytyJBS1XtcgqH8pktElPX30lNEXDMmtcjQwCTZFXEXIkofvSjzkJvafdqRCpOCx4yt-bCTiBf8jCw89z_H2yyVnllYfthVbEO_aWdNb4GG1eZiFS1ZyH7KzS1z90xXm_ENoWgIm4M_W2sjn_25dq_r73iqWUsFYNxDh2jUxxIC5QmfemLv7w4OAAw52REn4r8mI=w660-h387-no

Wow, that 20% VAT really sucks! It's been suggested here in the States, and thankfully, has been shot down every time. So far.