• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

PRS pics/discussion

Dave P

I still don't understand the whole "dead spots" thing. Never experienced that myself.

I had 3 maple topped pre-1990 Customs that had dead spots on the neck, the notes would just peter out without much sustain in certain places on the neck. I tried fret leveling, different strings, etc to no avail. Apparently it was a common problem,

My '88 Studio/Standard, all mahogany. The bridge pickup sounds pretty good, I think it is a Vintage Hot, not the HFS which Paul stuck in everything. Has a nice, fat Junior-ish vibe to it when playing the humbucker. The single coils suck, real screechy and ungodly bright. I'm going to swap them out for something better eventually.
studio2.jpg

J.D.

IMO the Studio single coils sound better clean than dirty; yes they are bright. I think this was Paul's "super Strat" and yes the bridge pickup is more vintage sounding than the HFS.

Love mine. I think they are every bit as good as a Gibson and Fender and PRS is my favorite manufacturer for new guitars outside of the custom shops at Gibson and Fender. For production guitars, they are top notch and have their own unique tone. I love them.

I first saw one on a country music awards show because I'm a huge modern country fan (I like it because it DOESN'T sound like classic country) and love the rocked up stuff and the fact it sounds like classic rock (more than modern rock could ever dream of) and so back in 2006 I got my first one. Great quality, great looks, and great tone. To me they are thicker than a Fender but thinner than a Les Paul in sound. I'd say they are pretty close to a SG. Lots of midrange and guts to the sound. Cuts through like a knife. The playability is second to none. I feel at home on them and they play like butter.

I still love my old Gibsons and Fenders but I love the new guitars coming out of PRS in Maryland and in Korea.

ayui5v.jpg

Dave P

IMO the Studio single coils sound better clean than dirty; yes they are bright. I think this was Paul's "super Strat" and yes the bridge pickup is more vintage sounding than the HFS.

Yea, they sound OK clean. I've never dissected one, but Paul used a humbucker bobbin with slug magnets to make the single coils, basically the slug magnet bobbins as used on the B&T pickups. Not sure if he used a thinner gauge of wire on the single coils to get a little more output, but I would guess he did. Way different in construction than a Fender type single coil for sure, very similar to the single coils Dimarzio made for the Hamer SS guitars.

class5lp

I can tell you they are way more consistent than a Gibson right out of the case. The build quality is fantastic and there is no question they have the best trem system on the market today IMHO.

class5lp

Time for a PRS thread. I've always loved the look and feel of classic PRS custom 22/24 double cuts. I've owned 4: Custom 24, Custom 22, Modern Eagle II and McCarty Hollowbody I.

The ME was especially nice:

photo1_zps1154493f.jpg

NAMM show McCarty HB I:

DSCF1528_zps663efdbf.jpg

In all my years for collecting I have had 8 Modern Eagles, 3 Private Stocks, and a host of the Custom 22 and also a few McCarty's. I cant say enough good about them. The regular production run guitars have fantastic build quality right out of the box. The Eagles and PS guitars are some of the best built guitars in the world. Their over all quality on all guitars seem better to me than a Gibson right out of the box. However I still tend to find them to be a niche guitar and let me explain. As good as those guitars are there should be a whole lot more artists playing them plus is still takes a lot of effort to the sell them. Obviously they have not been around as long as Gibson and just not as popular in my opinion. However in Europe and Japan (especially Japan) the PRS guitars are very hot and sell very well. Interestingly enough though the Japanese tend to only play the Custom 24 model for what ever reason? 90% of all PRS guitars in Japan are the CU24. My personal fav PRS though without any question in the Modern Eagle 1.

shred

Yeah, they're great guitars. Here's another pic of the ME II (with a Suhr Modern)

DSCF2355_zps3e631b56.jpg

cliffclaven

This is my ce-24.. The "cheap" prs, lol. For $1000, its tough to beat this guitar, IMO. Its become my #1 for gigs. I have an all mahog ce-22 also, but i dont like the wide fat neck on it really.

buyusfear

This one isn't mine, but one I photographed. It used to belong to forum member Swervin55.
Figured i'd add it to this thread for the eye candy factor.

07PRSSCtremartistpkg2.jpg~original

07PRSSCtremartistpkg8.jpg~original

07PRSSCtremartistpkg9.jpg~original

07PRSSCtremartistpkg3.jpg~original

drog1602

Finally purchased my first PRS. It's a CU24 10 top 30th anniversary, black gold.
I will post some better pics later.

redisburning

Les Paul Froum Member
here's my custom 24. pretty standard affair other than the quilt top:

My guitar is a bird by P M, on Flickr

this is my first PRS and I've got some thoughts and Im not sure where I've landed.

Pros:
  • 7lbs 11oz for a mahogany guitar with a tremolo isn't too bad.
  • the guitar is quite resonant and the pickups are so hot that the guitar has immense amplified sustain even at lower volume levels.
  • neck, both humbuckers and whatever the one right before the bridge alone are great
  • the guitar will not lose tune
  • wide thin carve is suprisingly tolerable given I like old strat and les paul style necks. also access to higher frets is pretty revalatory compared to strat/les paul
  • it's pretty ridiculously good looking

Cons:

• I have not decided how I feel about the HFS though; it's not my favorite clean sound alone.
  • the neck is so far off of the body it feels a bit alien to play
  • 16" may be too flat for me. I really like 9.5-12 as that fits the shape of my hand best for chords
  • like every not brand new PRS I've ever played the volume knob does not have enough resistance

MrFender

My PRS McCarty 594. I've never really cared for the tone of PRS guitars but this one does it for me. Has a very 50's Gibson tone. And you can split the pickups to single coils which also sound great.

J.D.

While the PRS Custom 24 doesn't sound really anything like a Les Paul (despite some people's best efforts), the McCarty's, especially those with the 24.5" scale, do. And they are a much better quality guitar IMO than even the Gibson Historic, and at a lower price point.

J.D.

For those who are not familiar with the "408" and "Paul's Guitar" model pickups, this is pretty cool. These models come standard with model-specific pickups, each with humbucker/single-coil mode switches.

How each humbucker works is one bobbin is wound standard to about 4K and the other bobbin is wound more to about 6K, with a true coil tap placed at 4K within the overwound coil. When switched to humbucking mode, it's a standard balanced 8K humbucker using the overwound coil's tap, and when switched to single coil mode, the standard coil is dropped and overwound coil is switched to full on at 6K (ignoring the tap). Balanced humbucker & single coil output levels! Lots of different and usable sounds in these guitars.

straight1.png

straight1.png

TheArchitect

What year did the neck heel get ridiculously long and intrusive...and why?

That anyone on a les Paul forum would complain about a PRS heel is laughable. The heel argument is ridiculous and started by Ed Roman when prs dropped him as a dealer