• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2103 Traditional Pro 2

yzfchet

New member here, about to put $$ down on a new 2013 LP Traditional Pro 2 with 60's slim neck profile from Guitar Center. $1695 new is hard to beat...at least, so far as I can tell from research.

Any particular problems or issues that would cause any of y'all to scream, "NO!! Don't buy that model/year!"?

Any comments on this model/year would be greatly appreciated. Regarding more expensive models: I don't have the $$ right now - I'm pretty much restricted to <$2,000.00.

Thanks.

Note: The title reads 2103 - meant to write 2013.

Texas Blues

I reckon they're a pretty dang righteous guitar especially for the cha-ching.

I've been lookin' at one for a while myself.

Here's Luther Dickinson playing the Epi Trad Pro.
If the Epi sounds this good, I can't imagine the Gibson not being most excellente'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs0us-9Bp94

TommyTouch

I checked out the LP Trad Pro 2 on GCs site. I am no expert on these model/year LPs so you can take my view "cum grano sali". I think it looks like a nice LP and a nice price. With that LP and a good amp you could conquer the world.

JJC

Nothing wrong with that guitar - but if you buy it, be warned we have a saying here:

:photos Or it NEVER HAPPENED.

:)

yzfchet

Nothing wrong with that guitar - but if you buy it, be warned we have a saying here:

:photos Or it NEVER HAPPENED.

:)
Yeah, we have the same saying on UZITALK.

Turns out every 2013 LP Trad Pro 2 in the store had the old 'open G string is flat/2nd fret G string is sharp' problem that most guitars have. I'm not talking about the intonation which is octave-matching along the neck. I'm sure you know what I mean...is there a specific name for that??

So I paid for & ordered a 2013 Trad Pro 2 Merlot finish LP. If that one, when it comes in, has an unfixable G string step problem then I'll just order another. And another. Until I get one that's acceptable. Then pics will follow.

I had to play probably 12 SG Specials back in '69 before I found one that was acceptable, so it's not like the problem wasn't there in the "good ol' days".

Texas Blues

Yeah, we have the same saying on UZITALK.

Turns out every 2013 LP Trad Pro 2 in the store had the old 'open G string is flat/2nd fret G string is sharp' problem that most guitars have. I'm not talking about the intonation which is octave-matching along the neck. I'm sure you know what I mean...is there a specific name for that??

So I paid for & ordered a 2013 Trad Pro 2 Merlot finish LP. If that one, when it comes in, has an unfixable G string step problem then I'll just order another. And another. Until I get one that's acceptable. Then pics will follow.

I had to play probably 12 SG Specials back in '69 before I found one that was acceptable, so it's not like the problem wasn't there in the "good ol' days".

I would think that is just a malfuctive nut that needs just a tiny bit of love with a pass or

two of fine grit sand paper in the groove.

That's worked for me on more than one Gibson I've bought before.

yzfchet

I would think that is just a malfuctive nut that needs just a tiny bit of love with a pass or

two of fine grit sand paper in the groove.

That's worked for me on more than one Gibson I've bought before.
The in-house luthier did that on the groove for the G string on one of the LPs while I waited, and said any more nut filing and it will buzz. It helped some but still out of pitch. :(

Texas Blues

The in-house luthier did that on the groove for the G string on one of the LPs while I waited, and said any more nut filing and it will buzz. It helped some but still out of pitch. :(

Well that sucks.

Hopefully when the new one arrives they'll be no issues.

Funny how such a little 'thang like a bad cut nut or funked up bridge saddle can turn

a great guitar into a log for the fireplace.

That sheeit drives me plumb loco.

Big Al

Well that sucks.

Hopefully when the new one arrives they'll be no issues.

Funny how such a little 'thang like a bad cut nut or funked up bridge saddle can turn

a great guitar into a log for the fireplace.

That sheeit drives me plumb loco.

Not a bad nut, TB. That is a common problem of most guitars and has to do with physics.

You can tame it with an Earvanna Nut or other similar things. It drives me crazy!

Texas Blues

Not a bad nut, TB. That is a common problem of most guitars and has to do with physics.

You can tame it with an Earvanna Nut or other similar things. It drives me crazy!

I hear what you're saying Al but if its that common then why aren't Gibson's or other

brands fitted with those nuts at the factory?

None of my guitars need them nor any others I've played.

Why would the Trad Pro be different than say my '78 LP or even a '59 burst?

Edjumacate me por favor.

Big Al

I hear what you're saying Al but if its that common then why aren't Gibson's or other

brands fitted with those nuts at the factory?

None of my guitars need them nor any others I've played.

Why would the Trad Pro be different than say my '78 LP or even a '59 burst?

Edjumacate me por favor.

I guarantee you it is a factor on your guitars. Some manufacturers are using it and other schemes of a similar nature. Check it out with a tuner. It is there and for some of us it is agony in the open and first few frets. Some aren't bothered as much.

Texas Blues

I guarantee you it is a factor on your guitars. Some manufacturers are using it and other schemes of a similar nature. Check it out with a tuner. It is there and for some of us it is agony in the open and first few frets. Some aren't bothered as much.

I reckon I'm in the "Some aren't bothered as much" category.

Maybe its my DNA or maybe I'm just tone deaf or some sheeit because my ears can't

hear it.

More experienced cats like yourself that have dealt with these issues and have expertise

in such 'thangs I defer to as I have no knowledge to dispute science, mechanics and facts

as they are known.

I hold your opinions on this forum in high regard.

Muchas gracias senor.