• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Classic ... strange marking in neck pup rout

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I opened up this 96 LP Classic looking for the markings indicating it was a Plus model.

Bridge pup rout:

DSCN2958~0.JPG

When I removed the neck pickup, I found this! :wah

DSCN2950~0.JPG

The neck looks perfect, except one side of the nut:

DSCN2961.JPG

I believe the markings are from the factory.
Has anyone seen this before?
Ideas? :hmm

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Come on guys, I know it's the weekend, but someone must have an informed opinion on this. :hmm

DonRowe

HS (Headstock) repair with something scribbled .. perhaps if it is factory it might have been a finish(quality control) repair ? At least it doesn't say "27 bunnies and a free goat" then the mystery would be unsolvable LOL :)

krapac

I have had for a brief period a '96 Classic with the same kind of slotted nut dig, mine was deeper (on both sides) than your, i tought was a glitch and sold the guitar.
Regardin' the script inside PU cavity, i can't help.

Mike Shaw

What's the last word? Looks like it says HS repair on heel. Apparently, whatever it was , it was fixed.

Badoogie

Perhaps 'HS' is someone's initials. It seems unnecessary to say it is a 'headstock repair on neck', as the headstock is always on the neck.

donw35

did you buy this guitar new ?, looks like the pin markings are untop of the finish...

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
did you buy this guitar new ?, looks like the pin markings are untop of the finish...

No, I didn't. I've had it a few months and decided to look for the Plus markings when I found the other writing.

donw35

Seems like a very strange thing for Gibson to put on a guitar, maybe it was repaired by someone who wanted to make it known for future buyers, the picture of the neck close to the nut you can see the red finish on the binding and nut, I haven't seen that before but never look that close either.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Seems like a very strange thing for Gibson to put on a guitar, maybe it was repaired by someone who wanted to make it known for future buyers, the picture of the neck close to the nut you can see the red finish on the binding and nut, I haven't seen that before but never look that close either.

I have a 98 Classic that has the exact same "over the binding" cherry finish. This 96 and that 98 have it on both sides.

I spoke to Gibson Customer Service, and they said the HS was code for the heritage cherry sunburst color.
They had no notes written about repair for this particular serial number. Just that it was a Plus model in that heritage sunburst.
They also asked me to send them photos of the markings. I did and will let everyone know what they report back.

rifle

I spoke to Gibson Customer Service, and they said the HS was code for the heritage cherry sunburst color.

I mine -97 Classic PP in Heritage Cherry, it is written HS in the neck pickup route.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Gibson Customer Service came through!
Let's look at it again:

DSCN2950.JPG

The scratched out area says TA for "trans amber". There was some type of finish or cosmetic flaw, and it was stripped and resprayed in heritage cherry sunburst.
Apparently the repair info was written on the neck [and removed when the guitar was refinished].
There was no structural problem or repair on the neck, nor was it replaced. It was merely refinished before it was fitted with hardware.

:)