• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Firebird VII from Brian Jones ?

El Gringo

I do remember seeing in person during the Licks tour 2003 Ronnie Wood using a Gibson Firebird VII .I wonder if it was one of these Firebirds?

Arch D. Bunker

I do remember seeing in person during the Licks tour 2003 Ronnie Wood using a Gibson Firebird VII .I wonder if it was one of these Firebirds?

Nah - that's a V.

He got that in Chicago before the tour, but then had to pay a lot of $$ to get it in playing shape since all kinds of things were wrong with it.

if I would had to guess the dealer's name, there would be only one that comes to mind..:teeth

Wally

The guitar is post #3 is NOT the guitar that B. Jones is playing in post #8. The grain in the wood above the pickups proves that. And......A. Pallenberg recently passed.

El Gringo

Nah - that's a V.

He got that in Chicago before the tour, but then had to pay a lot of $$ to get it in playing shape since all kinds of things were wrong with it.

if I would had to guess the dealer's name, there would be only one that comes to mind..:teeth
delete

Roe

Brian Jones' firebird VII allegedly had a head break that wasn't repaired very well, making the guitar almost useless. cant find the source now unfortunately

Last edited:

El Gringo

Nah - that's a V.

I would love to know the dealer that you speak of is it CME ?

Arch D. Bunker

I have to give you a major compliment https://iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,2440840

Thanks, but actually I am a dumbass - that link also shows Ronnie in 1975 with Rod playing a Firebird VII, long before he got the V that he used on the Licks tour. :##

iu

With only few reverse VII's having been made, could that guitar in the 1975 pic be Brian's VII? Ronnie was already playing with the Stones at that time, so he could have borrowed it IF it ended up in the Stones' warehouse as some claim.

According to a post in the linked thread, Brian's Firebird (whether it's the reverse VII remains unclear) was given by Ian Stewart to Stones' office manager Peter Swales. This in itself does not mean much.

The only thing that you can make out from the b/w pic is that the VII's trem handle is missing, like on Brian's VII on period photos just before he changed to playing non-reverse Birds. On these photos it also seems that the front lower knob was replaced or taped over, which is not the case on the '75 pic. :salude

And yeah - I was thinking of CME during the Scott S. era. The many bad stories about that place could have supported a class action suit..

sangandongo

Thanks, but actually I am a dumbass - that link also shows Ronnie in 1975 with Rod playing a Firebird VII, long before he got the V that he used on the Licks tour. :##

iu

With only few reverse VII's having been made, could that guitar in the 1975 pic be Brian's VII? Ronnie was already playing with the Stones at that time, so he could have borrowed it IF it ended up in the Stones' warehouse as some claim.

According to a post in the linked thread, Brian's Firebird (whether it's the reverse VII remains unclear) was given by Ian Stewart to Stones' office manager Peter Swales. This in itself does not mean much.

The only thing that you can make out from the b/w pic is that the VII's trem handle is missing, like on Brian's VII on period photos just before he changed to playing non-reverse Birds. On these photos it also seems that the front lower knob was replaced or taped over, which is not the case on the '75 pic. :salude

And yeah - I was thinking of CME during the Scott S. era. The many bad stories about that place could have supported a class action suit..

There's a 1 in 20 chance that it was. :) There's also a 1 in 20 chance it was mine, though mine seems a wee bit too clean to have been BJ's or RW's.

alicec23

long shot to authenticate it but I believe UK customs was VERY meticulous about what came and went. Rock stars coming back with 10 guitars when they left with one was a bugaboo of theirs Mutuelles senior, they wanted the taxes. So buried in the stones records or customs might be an exact listing of instruments and serial numbers.
Yes, but the only reason is that the rock stars are idolized in the middle and it goes without saying that they are frying on stage.