• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

74 Black Beauty

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Looking great Max!

I just checked the pot codes on my Les Paul Custom. I hadn't dated them since buying the guitar and took the last owners word that it was in fact a 1971 model. 137 7107 so it's an early '71.

Mine has a massive neck and sounds killer. I bought a fitted period case for it as they offer more protection than the original oblong shaped case it came with.

maxwedge

Looking great Max!

I just checked the pot codes on my Les Paul Custom. I hadn't dated them since buying the guitar and took the last owners word that it was in fact a 1971 model. 137 7107 so it's an early '71.

Mine has a massive neck and sounds killer. I bought a fitted period case for it as they offer more protection than the original oblong shaped case it came with.

That one is sweet! :salude
Love mine more and more but I think I'm just going to have to it up for a refrett. Their just too uneven and I get significant fret buzz.

for research reference: my '72 has nearly identical Sprague cavity as photo above- thanks for this great thread- Ebony rules.

Last edited:

stephan_l

B/c of defore im going to face loosing my second historic. But my 81 custom....never. Ok, i had too much wine tonight, but these old norlins are special. Would never led go "her". Too much history, and and least they sound great. This BB looks great.

Kris Ford

Looking great Max!

Killer Custom..I have SERIOUS GAS for one! Also, that purple velvet lined case is my all time favorite! It doesn't get any cooler IMO.:yah

maxwedge

Well I'm off to Gary Brawer's shop to get this baby re-fretted today because I just can't stand the worn out low frets. Probably going with Dunlop 6150s or similar.:hmm

maxwedge

Thought that I should update this one.
It ended off going to Gary Brawer for a refret and pleck job and it came out great. I decided on Jascar 47104. I guess that it is a medium Jumbo fret wire and it's awesome.
In the beginning I wanted to "cheaply" go from the chrome that the original owner had applied to all the parts to nickel, and that was largely successful but as time went on I really wanted it to be gold, as it was born.

So here are some new pictures.
The pickup covers are Area 51, the bridge and stop tail are Pigtail, the stop tail studs Retospec and the tuners Kluson Waffle Backs. Miscellaneous parts from Philadelphia Luthiers and No witch hats, don't like 'em!
Need to get some aging going on the gold LOL!
It still sports it's original T-tops but has RS 500k pots and Russian PIO caps.

uDhR8PH.jpg

DfF7X07.jpg

CrF3qdF.jpg

4IaRm47.jpg

YyHjxrS.jpg

ee6Z6d6.jpg

Anje

The LP looks great nice work :salude
Love those early 70's Custom LP!