• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Collectors Choice impressions

GotTheSilver

I agree. But, dude — do realize that this is a forum which, among other hundreds of threads, has at times featured discussions of subjects that include (and I shit thee not):

- the smell of vintage M-69 pickup rings;*

M-69 rings from 1959 smell better than those from 1958 or 1960! :hee

tangerine

I know what you mean V58, esp. if you play in the same style as the player that made the sig or CC in question, famous. I did see a fantastic guitarist playing a Grace Potter V in a bar last year, and it looked cool as hell to me. I certainly wasn't laughing :hank :salude

calaway

The southern Rock CC should be sold at Hallmark card store , the heart in the middle is a Joke. The believer burst and Sandy have the best vibe overall.

renderit

Damn! That's the one I was doing an impression of. I had the heart symbol all up with my fingers here and I was goin' "nawr nawr nawr nawr".

L.A.Man

I would never use a famous artist / cc model onstage either. Especially when I go up to play a cover song of some famous artist, that would be hypocrisy.

Unless the audience is filled with LPF anal retentive, smell your pickup ring, know everything about LP's, no one is going to have a clue who any of these people are.

I can hear it now, "that poser is not Mike Slubowski, how dare he pose with #6" :dang
" I see Sandy, but no Wittrock", said no one ever. :)spabout)
"That is not Nicky, nor is it Daughtry" poser!!

Oh, and lets not forget the depth of knowledge that would be able to identify who John Shanks is, and what his guitar looks like.

Although I understand the theory of not overposing via guitar, lets walk down the road and ask anyone, do you know what a Redeye is?, and would you ever be seen playing one unless your name is Ed?

I get the SRV thang, that would be just wrong. I sold mine years ago, along with my Clapton sig. No lie, I had three of one, and two of the other. I thought I would sound just like those guys, but alas, I was wrong. I sound like me.

Last edited:

Redhood1979

I sort of figured that there'd be at least one question about the "disguise" comment. It's mostly an outgrowth of my opinion that to play or own a meticulous copy of a specific guitar — particularly a copy of a visually recognizable "original" instrument played by some known famous person — is possibly the most innately uncool thing a person could do. At least if you plan to use the guitar as an actual working instrument to play in front of an audience. I mean, it's one thing if you're "the" actual famous guy... but I, for one, would not be caught dead playing a CC guitar onstage. Being interested in owning one specifically as a collectible is a different story; I can at least "see" that. But when you have guitars that like every scratch and ding is replicated, I would be a little embarrassed to go on stage with a guitar like that. So, what I meant by "disguise," is that I would possibly make exceptions if you could do something to the guitar in the way of a simple cosmetic modification, that would make it less recognizable as such-and-such a CC model, and more like a regular non-CC reissue. An example would be putting pickup covers on a Sandy or putting pickup covers on one of the recent Allman artist signature models. So, what I meant with the Redeye is, even if you put covers on that, or reflector knobs (or whatever), the guitar's paintjob itself — the revision of which would not exactly be, IMO, an "easy" or reversible mod — makes it a little impossible to not instantly recognize that guitar as a Redeye CC. So, I can't say I'd ever be interested in one, but only for that reason. Whereas a lot of the other CC's at least have some visual flexibility about them. I mean, you can "dress them up" (or "undress" them), so as to take them in a visual direction that makes it less obvious that they're such-and-such a CC guitar. That's what I meant. I'm sure as usual everyone here will violently disagree with every word I'm saying [laughs]. But I view these CC guitars as not entirely unlike playing a Stevie Ray Vaughan Stratocaster replica with "SRV" on the pickguard. If I saw any guy onstage with one of those OTHER than Stevie himself, first thought that would go through my head would be, That person is fucking pathetic. I mean, how could you ever take yourself seriously as a musician to use such a guitar? YMMV.

I partly agree... I wouldn't say "pathetic" though... Also, I'm sure alot of people are going to be politically correct (not sure why) but many examples of the "Redeye" are just ugly. I've seen 1 or 2 that are cool... Internet pictures show the best examples but the vast majority in stores are just really ugly. The flame, the position of the cherry etc...

Max89

I don't know what you guys are talking about. All the collector's choice's I've played at Wildwood have been great, very well made guitars. Among the best every produced by Gibson. I own one myself. I didn't buy it because it is a "famous" guitar or because it is associated with anyone, I bought it because when I plugged it in it played and sounding amazing and unique. Who cares if it looks like someone else's guitar? If it feels and sounds right to you, that is all that should matter.

Crunchyoverdrive

Tops are about taste. I have a CC dutchburst and I really like the straight line flame. In my opinion one of my absolute fav tops.

guitty

Here's my CC experience:
I own two CC that I've choosen from about 50 Les Pauls in various shops over here. These two CC sounded best, which has been and still is my main base for choosing a guitar. Both CC happened to be a CC15, the neck of it turned out to be the best for my hand as well. Additionally, I would say that at least about 80 % of the other CC sounded better than the regular R8 and R9.

Max89

Here's my CC experience:
I own two CC that I've choosen from about 50 Les Pauls in various shops over here. These two CC sounded best, which has been and still is my main base for choosing a guitar. Both CC happened to be a CC15, the neck of it turned out to be the best for my hand as well. Additionally, I would say that at least about 80 % of the other CC sounded better than the regular R8 and R9.

I agree, and my experience was the same. I compared my CC with a bunch of 2015 True Historics and some leftover 2014 Les Pauls. The CC sounded and played the best, and was a better fit for my personal playing style.

sreynolds

My CC #28 is a great guitar. My favorite to date out of 14 Historics. I put OX4s in it. Incredible! Best Les Paul Ive ever played and I own it. Now thats a good feeling.

jbyrd1

I sort of figured that there'd be at least one question about the "disguise" comment. It's mostly an outgrowth of my opinion that to play or own a meticulous copy of a specific guitar — particularly a copy of a visually recognizable "original" instrument played by some known famous person — is possibly the most innately uncool thing a person could do. At least if you plan to use the guitar as an actual working instrument to play in front of an audience. I mean, it's one thing if you're "the" actual famous guy... but I, for one, would not be caught dead playing a CC guitar onstage. Being interested in owning one specifically as a collectible is a different story; I can at least "see" that. But when you have guitars that like every scratch and ding is replicated, I would be a little embarrassed to go on stage with a guitar like that. So, what I meant by "disguise," is that I would possibly make exceptions if you could do something to the guitar in the way of a simple cosmetic modification, that would make it less recognizable as such-and-such a CC model, and more like a regular non-CC reissue. An example would be putting pickup covers on a Sandy or putting pickup covers on one of the recent Allman artist signature models. So, what I meant with the Redeye is, even if you put covers on that, or reflector knobs (or whatever), the guitar's paintjob itself — the revision of which would not exactly be, IMO, an "easy" or reversible mod — makes it a little impossible to not instantly recognize that guitar as a Redeye CC. So, I can't say I'd ever be interested in one, but only for that reason. Whereas a lot of the other CC's at least have some visual flexibility about them. I mean, you can "dress them up" (or "undress" them), so as to take them in a visual direction that makes it less obvious that they're such-and-such a CC guitar. That's what I meant. I'm sure as usual everyone here will violently disagree with every word I'm saying [laughs]. But I view these CC guitars as not entirely unlike playing a Stevie Ray Vaughan Stratocaster replica with "SRV" on the pickguard. If I saw any guy onstage with one of those OTHER than Stevie himself, first thought that would go through my head would be, That person is fucking pathetic. I mean, how could you ever take yourself seriously as a musician to use such a guitar? YMMV.

Well.....MY opinion is, anybody who can "see" owning a guitar to simply let it "collect" dust vs. putting it to work gigging is a douche. I have owned and gigged many CC's, and many are simply great guitars in their own right. If you catch one of our gigs, there will most likely be at least one on stage, so, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! :laugh2:

Big Al

Some people are self appointed defenders of self described versions of what is "cool". I never knew that the guitar you choose to play defined how cool or uncool you are and whether you are a "poser".

Of course these are the same folks who like to declare which colors are right, which type of figure is right and which isn't.

Seems too me only uncool posers are concerned with this crap.

I'll decide what I like and play whatever I choose and the poser police patrol can kiss my ass.:bigal:spabout

lubra65

I don't know what you guys are talking about. All the collector's choice's I've played at Wildwood have been great, very well made guitars. Among the best every produced by Gibson. I own one myself. I didn't buy it because it is a "famous" guitar or because it is associated with anyone, I bought it because when I plugged it in it played and sounding amazing and unique. Who cares if it looks like someone else's guitar? If it feels and sounds right to you, that is all that should matter.

Yes, I agree!

CC29V

I agree too!