The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar

Well that certainly did suck now didn't it?

Have you ever picked up your guitar to play
    and completely sucked?

I just did, Im no rock star but I can play
    fairly well.

But today, total crap!

Ok I fell better now.

Jimmy
    ​It will be mine......oh yes, it will be mine.

Re: Well that certainly did suck now didn't it?

Happens to me all the time.

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

My success at sucking at guitar is usually predetermined from the previous day when I can do no wrong and the amp just sings and all is right with the world.

Even with the same rig, same set up, same ever 'thang, its going to suck.

Why?

I dunno'.

Could be aliens having sex with me while I sleep at night.

All I know is if I can't get a decent sound, I just put the guitar back in the case for awhile.

I'm pretty much happy all the time,
    'cause I really don't know what the fuck I'm doing,
    and I don't give a shit.

Lmao @ Black58....

Opportunity knocks
    Karma hunts you down

That used to happen to me a lot. Since then I've reached a pretty steady level of mediocrity that I'm comfortable with.

Les Paul Forum Member

Well....I can barely play. When I get frustrated, I put on something like The Ramones...and I feel a lot better about my mediocrity....because I remember that I was THAT bad 49 years ago. I'm a little better..not much...but a little better 5 decades later.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Les Paul Forum Member joemags54's Avatar

"Big time Bill. Big time. Big time.".... Ronnie Hawkins

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joemags54 View Post
    Ah Dino. Brilliant.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

Les Paul Forum Member

Brilliant...yes.. He was able to make good money acting like a drunk lounge singer on network TV. Brilliant. I used to watch it...I can imitate a drunk lounge singer singing those songs and do it with conviction!!!!
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Les Paul Forum Member joemags54's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Brilliant...yes.. He was able to make good money acting like a drunk lounge singer on network TV. Brilliant. I used to watch it...I can imitate a drunk lounge singer singing those songs and do it with conviction!!!!
    Just a musical comment on the OP's original post....
    P.S. All I can imitate is a drunk..... ....
    "Big time Bill. Big time. Big time.".... Ronnie Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Blues View Post
    My success at sucking at guitar is usually predetermined from the previous day when I can do no wrong...
    Yup! Been there, done that...
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Blues View Post

All I know is if I can't get a decent sound, I just put the guitar back in the case for awhile.
    +1

Mostly when I try to jump into something difficult with little to no practice or warm-up. It gets frustrating sometimes to compare yourself with professional musicians, but you have to remind yourself that it's not your full time job, so accept occasional suckage and be happy.

On the flipside, anyone playing guitar for a living better be damn good. And I mean REALLY damn good if they're playing music for a full time job, then there is no excuse for sucking
    2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

Over the years I've recorded gigs, jams and band practices. There have been times I thought I was playing well. On listening to the performance later I was not so impressed. I've also had the opposite thing. Thought I sucked, listened back later and thought the playing hit a good spot.

-------------------------------

Re improved solos/fills in particular:

Sometimes your tone is just the most lovely thing and you sort of go for a ride on it. Everything you play sounds like magic. Next time you plug in its a fight: you vs. Crap Tone. A lot of times it's been those situations where I've heard something good on playback. I tend to push myself harder to make the music work when my guitar sound isn't making me happy.

Better music, maybe. But it gives me a headache.
    If it sounds good, it is good.

Les Paul Forum Member

Every time. Bass is my main instrument and I started guitar much, much later. Unfortunately, I don't have an abundance of free time on my hands and sometimes it's all I can do to keep up my bass chops. So when I finally have the time to play my guitar....it's bad.

It's funny....I'll be playing the guitar not plugged in and while I know it's been a while I'll think "well, not too bad considering." But then I'll plug into an amp and it turns out I'm very glad no one is around to hear me! It takes a lot of skill and work to be able to play thru an amp and I'm very envious when listening to some of you guys who do it so well.

Oh well, maybe one day!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckNC View Post
    Over the years I've recorded gigs, jams and band practices. There have been times I thought I was playing well. On listening to the performance later I was not so impressed. I've also had the opposite thing. Thought I sucked, listened back later and thought the playing hit a good spot.

-------------------------------

Re improved solos/fills in particular:

Sometimes your tone is just the most lovely thing and you sort of go for a ride on it. Everything you play sounds like magic. Next time you plug in its a fight: you vs. Crap Tone. A lot of times it's been those situations where I've heard something good on playback. I tend to push myself harder to make the music work when my guitar sound isn't making me happy.

Better music, maybe. But it gives me a headache.

Me too.

The playback really points out, to me, how subjective our perceptions are.

I guess I am consistently the same, despite thinking I'm in the pocket some days and have had uninvited sex with aliens the next. According to playbacks, it really doesn't matter if I have had sleep, a stressful day, or a great easy day, my technique and tone are more or less the same. Only my in the moment perception changes, it seems. What i do hear, is that warm up, vocally especially, makes a huge difference I can hear.

What it really points out, is just how amazing pros are, consistency-wise.

Just like any other "athlete," a good warm-up will take you a long way towards being able to maintain your peak performance.

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triburst View Post
    Just like any other "athlete," a good warm-up will take you a long way towards being able to maintain your peak performance.
    Si senor.

Often I'll pull out the ol' National Delphi and toodle around.

After playing that bigass iron sausage baloney neck for 30 minutes and then jumping on my R4, its like going from a dump truck with no power steering to a Ferrari.

I put a strap pin in the neck heel of the Delphi as its easier with a strap even while sitting down to play it.

I pity the fool that would play that boat anchor standing up.

Its like having 3 Norlin LP customs hanging around your neck in a strangle hold.

Les Paul Forum Member

I experience that all the time, one day I feel great like I'm shredding, next day I feel like my playing is shit. I think it happens to most people, and IMO it's a good thing. It's means that you're really thinking about your playing, being critical and motivated to always improve. Like Jimi once said "Sometimes you want to give up guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it you're gonna be rewarded."

Yes, of course! But that's why we have different guitars, amps and a suitcase full of stompboxes, right? Good sounds to be found in the den of lowered expectations.

Life is short but it's wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Black58 View Post
    I'm pretty much happy all the time,
    'cause I really don't know what the fuck I'm doing,
    and I don't give a shit.

WORD! And words to live by...

I tend to make a disgusted face when I hit a bad note, just an automatic reaction. After a set once, somebody came up to me and said, "You know when you hit that weird note and made a face like you didn't like it? Well, it worked for me. I liked it."

"...this thing is a destroyer of planets, a tonal doom-bringer, a wooden warrior from another dimension." Frutiger

Les Paul Froum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

I'm on the complete other end of the spectrum... I'm generally pretty dissatisfied with how I play, so I've kind of gotten used to that fact. But every once in a blue moon (a rare neon blue) I play something and think "hey, that didn't sound half bad". Unfortunately few people agree and it passes rather quickly...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Suck is what I aim for.
    Just another grumpy, gimpy, grizzled geezer, gettin' on the goodfoot!

Quote Originally Posted by jbzoso2002 View Post
    and completely sucked?

Everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by jbzoso2002 View Post
    and completely sucked?

I just did, Im no rock star but I can play
    fairly well.

But today, total crap!

Ok I fell better now.

Jimmy
    Yup, happens to me all the time. Sometimes I avoid the guitar because I KNOW it's going to happen that day......
    '69 ES 335 - Sunburst
    '78 Les Paul Custom
    '91 Les Paul Standard
    '98 Les Paul Standard
    '72 Les Paul Deluxe
    '97 Les Paul Special
    '79 Strat
    '80 Strat
    '78 Tele
    '96 Strat
    '08 Dano '59 DC
    '65 Ricky 450 12

Rivera 55-12
    Marshall JCM 800
    Marshall JMP 100
    Fender Blues Junior

Wow, it just happened. In fact the suck was sooo great- I gently placed it back in the case and fired up the ipad. But this to shall pass. But, its still fun after 40 or so years! Just remember how it felt when you struggled to play your first chords or even attempted to jam with your buddies! Bottom line,its about the music. Not all of us have been blessed with the talent of our guitar hero's-that said even a blind squirrel finds a nut....eventually.
    07' R8 Washed Cherry- WCR "Fillmore's"
    07' R8 Iced Tea- Throback PG-102LTD's (no magnet flip)
    07' James Trussart Steeldeville
    Martin HD-28

Reeves Custom Lead - Carr Hammerhead
    Carr Mercury- Metro JTM45 - Metro 1987
    Hoarding N.O.S. tubes since 1990.

My playing is pretty dreadful by any reasonable standard even when I'm "on". But when I delve into complete incompetence it is usually from having a left hand death grip and picking too hard. I'll go back to acoustic to work it out, starting with very simple material.

Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar

Nice to see Im not the only one that has a bad guitar day
    once and a while.

Jimmy
    ​It will be mine......oh yes, it will be mine.

This thread must have been brought back from the dead just for me.
    I suck all the time. But I have recorded myself on different occasions, and one thing I notice is I am always pleased with my tone. I just don't have the skills or talent to play even what would be considered at an intermediate level. But I do enjoy it, especially with this Les Paul. I do believe this is the guitar that was made for me.

I think everyone has better nights and worse nights.
    I also am convinced that sometimes there is some mysterious phenomenon sucking away the good tone.
    Not sure if it's barametric pressure, humidity, bio-rhythms, etc.
    But from one night to the next, with not a single knob being touched, my tone can go from golden to gaaaack.
    Or from gaaaack to golden...
    When I spend all my efforts trying to acheive my sound, my playing suffers.
    But the worst thing in my case is when the rhythm section is off their game. It kills everything.
    When my drummer is trying to text his old lady IN THE MIDDLE OF A SONG, the whole vibe falls apart.
    Hard to relax and let it flow when a band mate is phoning it in (no pun intended)

I have the "show signatures" box unchecked.

Les Paul Forum Member johnnyslim's Avatar

Yes...happens now and again. Unplug one day, plug in the next, touch no amp settings and any hint of mojo or good tone is gone. I also notice for myself that when low pressure sets in my guitars take on different vibe. The strings become a bit more slinky and the tone is usually better. As in, more woody and more mellow. I love playing guitar when it is raining. Raining the night of a gig...even better.
    Winning isn't everything...but losing isn't anything.

I embrace the suckage when at home. It's humbling and at the same time gives me incentive to improve as a player.

That said, 25 years of playing and I still cringe at my Johnny B. Goode riffing.

With the band or jamming I take suck to heart and occasionally get depressed over it, especially when I feel like I'm wasting other's time. Like some of you this can happen following a strong show, practice or jam... which makes it all the more disheartening.

Unfortunately, as I get older, things on the guitar that came easy to me (at an early age) are a little harder to achieve on a consistent basis nowadays. So I now have that dynamic to deal with... along with the suck.

The same thing happens to me with golf. It is a malaise- my attutidue. I am a good guitar player. Sadly that's it. I can play scales and swap pickups.
    Like RevWilly VK says " wherever I go there I am".
    The Suck though is a thing. It happens a lot when I think someone in my house would rather I not be playing- it is always when I play plugged in.
    I have a whiteboard with a bunch of songs that were hard to learn on it - so I remember to practice them. One of my frustrations is not being able to think of anything to play. That leads to nonsense noodling and creates Suck conditions.
    You are not alone.
    I do sometimes really enjoy my playing though. With a particular singer I almost always hit it out of the park. He acts like he enjoys my playing. That helps.