• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Well that certainly did suck now didn't it?

jbzoso2002

Have you ever picked up your guitar to play
and completely sucked?

I just did, Im no rock star but I can play
fairly well.

But today, total crap!

Ok I fell better now.

Jimmy

Texas Blues

My success at sucking at guitar is usually predetermined from the previous day when I can do no wrong and the amp just sings and all is right with the world.

Even with the same rig, same set up, same ever 'thang, its going to suck.

Why?

I dunno'.

Could be aliens having sex with me while I sleep at night.

All I know is if I can't get a decent sound, I just put the guitar back in the case for awhile.

Black58

I'm pretty much happy all the time,
'cause I really don't know what the fuck I'm doing,
and I don't give a shit.

:jim

Don

That used to happen to me a lot. Since then I've reached a pretty steady level of mediocrity that I'm comfortable with.:hee

Wally

Well....I can barely play. When I get frustrated, I put on something like The Ramones...and I feel a lot better about my mediocrity....because I remember that I was THAT bad 49 years ago. I'm a little better..not much...but a little better 5 decades later.

Wally

Brilliant...yes.. He was able to make good money acting like a drunk lounge singer on network TV. Brilliant. I used to watch it...I can imitate a drunk lounge singer singing those songs and do it with conviction!!!!

joemags54

Brilliant...yes.. He was able to make good money acting like a drunk lounge singer on network TV. Brilliant. I used to watch it...I can imitate a drunk lounge singer singing those songs and do it with conviction!!!!

Just a musical comment on the OP's original post....
P.S. All I can imitate is a drunk.....:rofl ....

thejaf

All I know is if I can't get a decent sound, I just put the guitar back in the case for awhile.

+1

Mostly when I try to jump into something difficult with little to no practice or warm-up. It gets frustrating sometimes to compare yourself with professional musicians, but you have to remind yourself that it's not your full time job, so accept occasional suckage and be happy. :laugh2:

On the flipside, anyone playing guitar for a living better be damn good. And I mean REALLY damn good if they're playing music for a full time job, then there is no excuse for sucking :yah

chuckNC

Over the years I've recorded gigs, jams and band practices. There have been times I thought I was playing well. On listening to the performance later I was not so impressed. I've also had the opposite thing. Thought I sucked, listened back later and thought the playing hit a good spot.

-------------------------------

Re improved solos/fills in particular:

Sometimes your tone is just the most lovely thing and you sort of go for a ride on it. Everything you play sounds like magic. Next time you plug in its a fight: you vs. Crap Tone. A lot of times it's been those situations where I've heard something good on playback. I tend to push myself harder to make the music work when my guitar sound isn't making me happy.

Better music, maybe. But it gives me a headache.

Mike M.

Every time. Bass is my main instrument and I started guitar much, much later. Unfortunately, I don't have an abundance of free time on my hands and sometimes it's all I can do to keep up my bass chops. So when I finally have the time to play my guitar....it's bad.

It's funny....I'll be playing the guitar not plugged in and while I know it's been a while I'll think "well, not too bad considering." But then I'll plug into an amp and it turns out I'm very glad no one is around to hear me! It takes a lot of skill and work to be able to play thru an amp and I'm very envious when listening to some of you guys who do it so well.

Oh well, maybe one day!

Stevedenver

Over the years I've recorded gigs, jams and band practices. There have been times I thought I was playing well. On listening to the performance later I was not so impressed. I've also had the opposite thing. Thought I sucked, listened back later and thought the playing hit a good spot.

-------------------------------

Re improved solos/fills in particular:

Sometimes your tone is just the most lovely thing and you sort of go for a ride on it. Everything you play sounds like magic. Next time you plug in its a fight: you vs. Crap Tone. A lot of times it's been those situations where I've heard something good on playback. I tend to push myself harder to make the music work when my guitar sound isn't making me happy.

Better music, maybe. But it gives me a headache.

:salude
Me too.

The playback really points out, to me, how subjective our perceptions are.

I guess I am consistently the same, despite thinking I'm in the pocket some days and have had uninvited sex with aliens the next. According to playbacks, it really doesn't matter if I have had sleep, a stressful day, or a great easy day, my technique and tone are more or less the same. Only my in the moment perception changes, it seems. What i do hear, is that warm up, vocally especially, makes a huge difference I can hear.

What it really points out, is just how amazing pros are, consistency-wise.

Triburst

Just like any other "athlete," a good warm-up will take you a long way towards being able to maintain your peak performance.:jim

Texas Blues

Just like any other "athlete," a good warm-up will take you a long way towards being able to maintain your peak performance.:jim

Si senor.

Often I'll pull out the ol' National Delphi and toodle around.

After playing that bigass iron sausage baloney neck for 30 minutes and then jumping on my R4, its like going from a dump truck with no power steering to a Ferrari.

I put a strap pin in the neck heel of the Delphi as its easier with a strap even while sitting down to play it.

I pity the fool that would play that boat anchor standing up.

Its like having 3 Norlin LP customs hanging around your neck in a strangle hold.

Jeremy G

I experience that all the time, one day I feel great like I'm shredding, next day I feel like my playing is shit. I think it happens to most people, and IMO it's a good thing. It's means that you're really thinking about your playing, being critical and motivated to always improve. Like Jimi once said "Sometimes you want to give up guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it you're gonna be rewarded."

TT100

Yes, of course! But that's why we have different guitars, amps and a suitcase full of stompboxes, right? Good sounds to be found in the den of lowered expectations.

:hank