• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Any thoughts on the ES Les Paul

Jackyrhode

Agreed. I gigged with mine this past weekend and it went great, handling everything from clean strummy acoustic sounds to overdriven Marshall to a Big Muff pedal wonderfully. Some feedback close to the amp but musical and controllable. The compressor really pushed the solos over the top.

The only issue I had was tuning. It would slip right out when I played hard and had to tune about four times during the set. My standard stays in tune for days. I'm not sure if it's the Gibson strings that shipped with the guitar or the vintage Klusons that don't hold as strongly as the Grovers on my Standard. I'm thinking of swapping the pegs but the ES is so nicely pout together I want to keep it as original as possible.

Any thoughts?

uburoibob

I have been thinking about replacing the pegs on mine. I don't think they slip, but they are sloppy. I have found the nut to be a little tight around the plain strings. Once you bend the G or B, they can stick in the nut. I've put Stewart McDonald Guitar Grease graphite up there a couple of times and that's really helped with the tuning. Also, I put a set of D'Addario NYXLs on (10-46) and that's helped stabilize the tuning.

Bob

Jackyrhode

Thanks. I always use D'addario 10s but I wasn't going to change the Gibsons until they die.

Jackyrhode

Looking in the f hole, it looks like there's 50s wiring in here? Has anyone taken out the pots to check?

mlb

I see that Wildwood has a ES p90 version. Has anyone tried one and, if so, what is the verdict? I have a 1997 Les Paul Florentine with the 57 classics that I like. Probably like it better if I could play it. I know that they made a p90 version; but, I only know of one in captivity at the moment.

FlameTop

My dealer got five in recently. So today I set off to give them a proper try. First one to catch my eye/ear was a VOS Taper Neck model. Really responsive and a great sound as long as you remind yourself its an ES. The middle switch position is particularly nice. Pickups sound warm and 'jazz up' really nicely as the volume is rolled back.

gibson_es_slimtaper_113357314-full.jpg

But I could not resist giving a Black Beauty model a go too. Such a cool vibe. VOS. Three pickup. Nicely aged binding etc.

gibson_es_blackbeauty_111457024-full.jpg

So what to do? Take both home seemed the only right choice :)

(photos courtesy of World Guitars)

Last edited:

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Beautiful guitars! I really like the look of that Custom.
Now they are putting out Gold Tops, P-90 versions, all sorts of variations. I still want to see Pelham Blue

Xpensive Wino

My dealer got five in recently. So today I set off to give them a proper try. First one to catch my eye/ear was a VOS Taper Neck model. Really responsive and a great sound as long as you remind yourself its an ES. The middle switch position is particularly nice. Pickups sound warm and 'jazz up' really nicely as the volume is rolled back.

gibson_es_slimtaper_113357314-full.jpg

But I could not resist giving a Black Beauty model a go too. Such a cool vibe. VOS. Three pickup. Nicely aged binding etc.

gibson_es_blackbeauty_111457024-full.jpg

So what to do? Take both home seemed the only right choice :)

(photos courtesy of World Guitars)

Beauties! :salude

Soulweb

I know I'll be lambasted for this, but why would you get one of these over a 335? When I see these I see a gutted-out Les Paul. I'm sure it has it's merits. Many have extolled the virtues of this fine guitar. However, other than the smaller body size, I just don't see why anyone would buy one of these over a 335?

I have no problem with anyone who buys one. Whatever floats your boat. If ya play it and ya like it then who cares? But...

Isn't this weird LP just a compromised 335? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Because it's not a 335!
lol
Seriously, at 5'6" a 335 just looks goofy on me.

DanD

It's not my cup of tea either. I applaud Gibson tho for making a guitar that doesn't look goofy on the wee people. :ganz

:hee

DanD

I like the 336 over the 335 too. :yah

I just wish I could find one with a mid-size neck in the .84-.87 at the first that Gibson seems to ignore on all but the Johnny A sigs.

And I really wish we could get Gibson to drop the F-holes once in a while. :dang

Until then this one fits all my criteria except for nitro finish. But I guess you can't have it all. :peace2

Edward

Hey, why do you think a CS-336 is my #1? lol

I go back and forth between my LPC and my 336 as the "#1" live guitar: it depends on how "heavy" the set is which tips me toward either.

To me, this ES Paul is a nice concept, to be sure. But the 336 is my preference, personally. The 336's build is a solid-body Lester that has been carved out. That "solidity" in build gives it more beefiness than the lam bodies, at least to my ear, thus lending it more of an "airy Les Paul" vibe than a proper "ES tone" guitar. So while a 336 looks like a small 335 (or really more like a 339's proportions), it sounds far more like a paul than a semi-hollow. So both have their proper niches, IMHO.

BTW, those ES-Paul pics ^^ ...serious lookers, there! :salude

Edward

Mars Hall

Had a chance to play one of the ES Les Paul models today. I thought it was a cool idea but wasn't sure how I would like playing one. I must say, I'm pleasantly suprised. Very cool guitar.

Thundersteel

I played one at a GC last year or so, and I really liked it. I do wish Gibson would leave off the pick guards, though--they look so much better without them.

I love my Memphis-made Cobra Burst. Sounds very cool. A true 335/LP hybrid. It's got a very nice bright jangly tone to it that I just love. Chime.

PmPingJ.jpg

klatuu

This is my 2015 Bourbon burst ES-LP
Really plays well, set at .040 on the high E string. Fit and finish is immaculate, really on a par with my Custom Shop guitars. The MHS custombuckers are articulate and clear, and the low wind specs are a great match with the guitar. No matter what the Gibson bashers are saying, Memphis has stepped up their game and are turning out some great guitars.

IMG_1712.jpg

Really like the one piece veneered tops. Love the grain in this one!

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1725_1.jpg