• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Another new pickup: Memphis Historic Spec Humbuckers?

John Potter

From the price increase I've seen on the Memphis 'historic' 335s, I'd say they must have little gold bars attached to the bottom of the pickups...

zombiwoof

I was asking in another thread about these, they seem to be slightly underwound Custom Buckers, that they are putting only in the Memphis semi-hollow guitars. They also have a similarly underwound P90 in some. I'm thinking they changed them to sound better in the semi-hollow body guitars.

Al

1jamman

IIRC the price is same as the 2013's . That 1 was always a bit more $$$ because Gibson uses a better Maple top for the Natual finish . I got mine in the Historic burst finish and it was a few $$$ less .
Imo , This maybe the best Memphis is producing these days .

For me , this guitar turned out to be the best Gibson i've owned . After I sell 2-3 of my guitars I'm looking to move on , If I find another 1 of these with a thinner neck (like I have now ~.875) I'll buy it . And I'm a 60's neck carve lover . Great '59 neck carve on these .

I just have a thing for blonds:rofl and now realize i should have bought the Blond from the get go :## Although , The 1 I have now has all my Birthday #'s . I think it was meant to be . Karma ?

zombiwoof

My understanding is that all of the new Memphis semi-hollow body guitars have these "tweaked" Custom Buckers, or tweaked P90's on the P90 semi-hollows. All I know is what I already said, they seem to be lower wind Custom Buckers and P90's that are tweaked to sound better in the semi-hollow guitars. I don't now if there are any other differences other than the lower winds.

Al

These pickups should be on new 59 and 64 ES345 reissues too.

Elliot Easton

I saw on the specs that they're scatter-wound with uneven coils, like the old PAF's.

joek86

I have that same guitar but it has burstbucker 1 and 2. It's abut a year old..... It is my favorite guitar and the best Gibson that I've owned.
1718AEB9-A23E-460C-97D2-2DAF00C315EC_zpssqyiv91m.jpg

TM1

The MHS pickups are probably the worse sounding "high end" pickups that Gibson makes. The set that came in the '63 Block Inlay ES-335TDC sounded dark and muffled. I could not get any clarity from them at all.
I pulled them and dropped in a set of late Sixties T-Tops and then a set of the Throbak "Pre-T's". The T-Tops were great, but the Throbak's are like a cross between a PAF and the T-Top. These have clarity, balls and harmonics! All the things that the MHS pickups sorely lack!

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
The MHS pickups are probably the worse sounding "high end" pickups that Gibson makes. The set that came in the '63 Block Inlay ES-335TDC sounded dark and muffled. I could not get any clarity from them at all.
I pulled them and dropped in a set of late Sixties T-Tops and then a set of the Throbak "Pre-T's". The T-Tops were great, but the Throbak's are like a cross between a PAF and the T-Top. These have clarity, balls and harmonics! All the things that the MHS pickups sorely lack!

They must be pretty inconsistent. I played a friends guitar last weekend with these in it and overall that guitar hung with couple of my vintage guitars way, way better than most new guitars. His guitar sounded great, it had all the good stuff.

Elliot Easton

I have the same experience. I just got a new 1963 Memphis 335 and those pickups sound pretty clear and sweet. I A/B'd it with my custom shop '63 335 which has Fralin True '60's, new pots and wiring, and it compared favorably. I was a little surprised that Don found them so lacking.

Aloha_Mark

I could not get any clarity from them at all.
I pulled them (MHS) and dropped in a set of late Sixties T-Tops and then a set of the Throbak "Pre-T's". The T-Tops were great, but the Throbak's are like a cross between a PAF and the T-Top. These have clarity, balls and harmonics! All the things that the MHS pickups sorely lack!

This does not surprise me. The extra bit of "crystal" clarity that T-tops have cannot be matched by MHS, which were designed to be a little bit dirtier. Gibson knows that not many buyers have a vintage tube amp which can produce dirt and clean with a twist of the knob, and thus opted to move their pickups away from clean for the normal amp owner. After all, we have been there already with the '57 classic pickups, and their exemplary clean tone.

Good to know that Throbak's work well in the Memphis 335 series. They should since the extra cost is not insubstantial.

Elliot Easton

That is not my experience. I can get a very clean, sweet tone out of the MHS pups. They seem OK to me.

Progrocker111

I liked them too on my former 14 59 ES345.

Bridge pickup was great and very rich and full sounding with nice clean tones too. Neck pickup was a bit muffled though.

TM1

That is not my experience. I can get a very clean, sweet tone out of the MHS pups. They seem OK to me.
I must have gotten a bad pair. The T-Tops with the Throbak A-4's were great but I love the Throbak Pre T-301's that are in it now! Very, very much like the original's that Jon is cloning. I have had a few sets of those and the Throbak's sound exactly like the post PAF/pre T-Top pickups!

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
On another note, a friend brought three guitars up this weekend to swap,pickups in for him. One was a Warren Haynes 335 that sound quite awful. He had bought the guitar new. But, the pickups had the PAF sticker on them and BB1 and BB2 were scratched into the base plate??!!?? Is that how they di it now? And the sides of the covers were bent around hugging the baseplate with just a blob of solder on each side. I can't believe they shipped like that. A pair of Dr. Vintage pickups fixed all the issues and took it to the level it really should have been at to start.