• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson 2014: pure BS marketing drivel

Pat Boyack

I saw a guy like that at the Houston guitar show in '94. Except he looked like Mack Davis in a tube top. You could tell the isles he had been down because everybody was in shell shock. I shit you not.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
As an attention whore, maybe it's time I should interject something into this thread that has nothing to do w/the subject so as to make it about me.
Dang, too late!

djangolad

Just STOP making LPs for a couple of seasons. Better than perverting nature.
:foghorn

davidd

Resurrecting an old thread to say that the 2014 LP Melody Maker in TV yellow I just bought used but in mint condition is the best bang for the buck guitar I've owned in many a moon. This thing is LP meets Tele on steroids. Killer neck with a full and beefy profile. The P90S pickups have a clarity and definition to them that the Gibson P90's I have in my CS 1960 Special doesn't have. They may be onto something in the way they designed them with alnico slugs instead of adjustable pole pieces. The matte finish was truly awful so I spent an hour with some McGuires polish and buffed it to a nice low sheen that looks really great. Intonates perfectly with 10's. The nut is cut well and the action is perfect. Kluson tuners are just fine with no slippage whatsoever. The body is about is the same thickness of an SG. The belly cut out on the back is very comfortable IMO. Not crazy about the new speed knobs, they will be gone soon, and I wished they had left the stupid 120th anniversary inlay off the neck. Changed the truss rod cover out to a plain one.

Used, I paid less than half of what the internet sites are selling them for, but even at full price these things just scream. I'm not a purist so I don't mind these new twists on things. Its certainly is no Melody Maker that's for sure. I have no idea why they would call it that. If you find one cheap I highly recommend. Pics to follow when I find a new image hosting outfit. Imageshack sucks these days.

Last edited:

davidd

OK so TinyPic works sweet!

sb7eqp.jpg

25u1o4n.jpg

4hjmg.jpg

oadnid.jpg

35lhgy1.jpg

chuckNC

Congrats on a nice score!

The P90S pickups have a clarity and definition to them that the Gibson P90's I have in my CS 1960 Special doesn't have. They may be onto something in the way they designed them with alnico slugs instead of adjustable pole pieces.
Gibson made P90's with alnico slugs back in the 40's -- and that design is still interesting to me. I'll have to see if I can find one of these little devils to try out.:salude

trapland

But the dude has tats. In Austin that will get you a 4pm gig at Emo's any Sunday of the year.....

My wife is so pissed I woke hr up laughing out loud at this......this one statement sums up many "musical artists" under 40. It's more of a sport than an art for me. I like it when we're on the brink of injury. Then I go home and wash it all off.

Since I can't PM you, you'll have to tell me if you don't want it in my sig.

Last edited:

renderit

But the dude has tats. In Austin that will get you a 4pm gig at Emo's any Sunday of the year.....

What does it pay? Where's a good place to get me some tats? Are they more discerning in Dripping Springs? I be retired now, I got's the time...

renderit

I ain't workin' one of those clubs where you expose yourself!

Unless....what does it pay?

Scott L

I think the move to frets over binding really sucks. First of all, nibs are classic Gibson. The nibs were a major thing that differentiated Gibbys from the Chinese copies. This was clearly just a cost saving move. Me no likey. :hank

Could not agree more !

j45

I saw a guy like that at the Houston guitar show in '94. Except he looked like Mack Davis in a tube top. You could tell the isles he had been down because everybody was in shell shock. I shit you not.

Dude, I WAS THERE!!!... I swear and I remember him well... tube top, light casual makeup and a purse... I think women's shoes too unless I'm wrong...came in late in the afternoon, walked down the isles nonchalantly, then just went on his way with everyone trying to figure out what they just saw. He wasn't your typical cross dresser or transgender... just a big mook.. kinda of a lumberjackish looking dude... oh crap... now that reminds me ...

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok,
I work all night and I work all day,
I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I goes to the lavatory.
I cut down trees. I wears high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear Papa.

JDUB

I think the move to frets over binding really sucks. First of all, nibs are classic Gibson. The nibs were a major thing that differentiated Gibbys from the Chinese copies. This was clearly just a cost saving move. Me no likey. :hank

Gibson's guys all say it's more expensive to finish the fret ends. I like the fret over, but don't have strong leanings against nibs. They are a pain when they shrink or distort enough to catch the high E string and yes, I have had it happen.

PayDay

Bugger,
I loved my 2014 Les Paul Plus until I read this thread.

EDIT:
I've had a few days to reflect now, i'm actually really happy with my LP 2014. It plays well, sounds amazing and the flame top is to die for.
I will definitely be going for a honey burst R9 or something in future but there's nothing wrong with my guitar.

Something I would say for the whole 2014 anniversary model thing is that, for many people, guitars are a very personal choice and the very fact that they are linked to music, guitars are often chosen for emotional connected reasons.

In that way, the 2014 speaks volumes about the place I was in before and when I purchased that guitar. 2014 was a very important year to me and that guitar marks that fact :salude

I played a few 2015's but stuck with the 2014. I do kinda miss the binding at the ends of the frets, aesthetically, but that's no real issue for me personally.

I guess my conclusion on the 2014/15 is that to own one is fantastic and because I am a fan, I will get a custom eventually. That will be more accurate to the LP's of the past I am sure.

I had a 2008 Standard, nice guitar, no amazing flame. One thing that I will always remember about that guitar was there was what appeared to be a small dot of black sharpy under the finish, next to the neck of the guitar near the poker chip.

If I saw that guitar again, i'd recognize it straight away. What's more, I actually quite liked it being there. It was unique and added character. Sadly I had to part with that one for one reason or another.

Last edited: