• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

TonePros Kluson - a "drop in" replacement?

daysleeper

I got the TonePros Kluson TPKG3 tuners for my '03 R9. They seem to be quite excellently made. They were sold, however, as a "drop in" solution. I have found three problems:

1. The tuner shaft is significantly smaller in diameter than the shaft of the original tuners, so that the new tuners are quite loose in the existing bushings.

2. For some reason the mounting holes in the housing do not line up with the holes in the headstock from the mounting screws from the original tuners.

3. The holes in the housing of the new tuners are smaller in diameter than the mounting screws from the original tuners, so that even if the holes lined up, the existing screws would not work.

Have these problems been reported? I assume that the first problem can be adequately addressed by using the supplied bushings, but the other two would require altering the headstock and the tuner housing, respectively.

In any case, it appears to me that the "drop in" characterization is not completely accurate.

denk

I know this is an old post, but thought I would add a note. I ordered Kluson replacements for a Les Paul Junior from 1957. Although these were not the TonePros you describe, the Klusons also had smaller holes which did not properly align with the existing screw holes in the headstock. A side by side comparison showed the Kluson metal holes as smaller and slightly lower than the original holes that came with the guitar in 1957. I ended up having to enlarge and slightly oblong the existing metal holes in the replacement Klusons in order for it to properly align with the original headstock screw holes. Once the screws were in place, you can't tell that I modified the holes. Only drawback would be in the resale value of the replacement Klusons as I would have to state the modification and hope that someone else had the same requirements of larger holes.

latestarter

I've had poor luck with new Kluson fitting old Kluson holes. Not sure why they make it so hard!

beefyburt

I have a 2010 R7 and took of the original Gibson Deluxe tuners and replaced with some Gotoh locking tuners. Fitted perfectly, didn't need the new insert just slotted straight in, and the screw holes lined up perfectly, so reused the existing screws. Took about 10 minutes to do and they look superb, and work perfectly.

Zentar

I had a project guitar with the machine heads wobbling inside the bushings which caused tuning issues. I cut a strip of
drink can aluminum a 1/3" wide and wrapped it around a screw driver shaft so it would curl up. It fit perfectly in between the machine head and bushing. This shim is only about half the size of a stamp and cut with scizzors.