• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall '65 JTM 45/100 Reissue Cab Help

skeletor

I got a reply from dr.decibel and he said the reissue T652 is basically a vox blue but with different cosmetics. no spec change. Celestion rate the alnico blue at 15w.

However Marshall rate the same speakers at 25 watts in their spiel about the 40th anniversary amp. Maybe they tested them and came to 25 watts? Whereas celestion probably just say they are 15 watts so the spec for the reissue alnico blue looks the same as the originals? I would imagine the modern materials they use nowadays can handle more than 15w.

humbucking

by 1965-66ish, the celestion silver alnico went up a little in power handling. the switch to Pulsonic cones may have improved things? By 1968 & the switch to the reinforced voice coil former, the speaker's handling also improved. Today, they use the same cone on a number of speakers, but the voicecoil is wound accordingly.

goldtop0

the 25w silver alnicos discussed in this thread

It's sometimes a popular misconception that the reissue Celestion T652 Alnico 15w speaker is something more than that regarding its power rating, unfortunately it isn't as pointed out by Dr Decibel in post #42.
No matter what Marshall might say........they don't/didn't make the speaker and their sales spiel/description in the 40th Anniversary cabs is misleading if it indicates a higher rating.
Can you show specs for the T652 speaker with a 25w rating?

Last edited:

skeletor

My thinking is that they can probably handle 25w. But celestion rate them at 15w so they look more authentic.

As I said earlier, I very much doubt the materials and glues they use thesedays would fail at 15w, unlike the old early 60's spreakers that were very fragile.

Zoomer

you think a 4x12 is awkward, you should try moving this bad boy around:

9796179_orig.jpg

3776981_orig.jpg

I was lucky enough to grab this a couple of years back. Its one of the few 8x12's Marshall made for trade shows to promote the 40th anniversary stacks. Only 6 were ever made. Its an exact replica of the townsend cabs, with 8 x reissue T652's inside.

The bottom section did sound best in my opinion. But both together was... :dude: :dude: :dude: I felt the urge to ram my guitar through the grill but resisted.

DAMN !!!

Did it come with a fork lift !! :)

Sure is gorgeous !!!

herb

Just came across this old thread that I started. I did end up buying the cab. It is a the perfect match to my JTM 45 Clark built clone. Sorry to leave you all hanging. I probably forgot all about this forum and thread for a few months after I bought it.

Kris Ford

Just came across this old thread that I started. I did end up buying the cab. It is a the perfect match to my JTM 45 Clark built clone. Sorry to leave you all hanging. I probably forgot all about this forum and thread for a few months after I bought it.

Pics?:spabout

becks bolero

sweet....I love those cabs

the 8x12 is like THE BIGGEST COCK of the Marshall amp world. but good luck moving that mother *** around

bigcock.jpg

mdubya

A couple of things struck me while reading this very informative thread:

1. JTM 45's are rated at 30 watts.

2. A JTM 45/100 is closer to 60 watts than 100.

Carry on. : P

I would like to see the cab and hear it with the Clark JTM 45. :dude:

herb

Just got back home from being out of town for a few days. Pictures? I'll get a couple for you in the next few days. I owe you guys. :eek:la

herb

Here are finally some pictures I took in my studio:

P1000881_zpsviq6hrok.jpg
P1000877_zpse2txhech.jpg
P1000877_zpse2txhech.jpg
P1000883_zpso4vdgk2j.jpg

P1000874_zpsxlthdtbc.jpg

P1000871_zps6tivdrep.jpg
P1000883_zpso4vdgk2j.jpg
P1000878_zpshnslf8pp.jpg

goldtop0

Good to see herb......and also see the misleading '100W RMS' on the tag.
If it were me I'd cut a 6" panel out of back of the cab(like the top cabs have got) so the alnicos can breathe a little........that's only if I were never going to sell it.

herb

If it were me I'd cut a 6" panel out of back of the cab(like the top cabs have got) so the alnicos can breathe a little........that's only if I were never going to sell it.

I do have a 2X12 cab with an open back that I use when I'm out sometime. It's loaded with a Weber Blue Dog and a Weber Silver Bell. You can see it in some of the pictures above. I have never taken the Marshall cab out. Probably will sell it someday and want to keep it original.

becks bolero

a better idea would be to make two new pieces, tolex them, and save the original back panel in case you ever sell it/posterity!

that is a great looking setup herb!!

goldtop0

I do have a 2X12 cab with an open back that I use when I'm out sometime. It's loaded with a Weber Blue Dog and a Weber Silver Bell. You can see it in some of the pictures above. I have never taken the Marshall cab out. Probably will sell it someday and want to keep it original.

I've got some Dogs and Bells also...... good all round alnicos for the dollars.