• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: 2002 R8

Tubes 'n Wood

Hola!! First post as T'nW (formally "dfs69"), been a long time post stalker/limited poster, but the reason for my post...

Recently acquired a 2002 R8, serial number 8 2633 (I will post pics tonight). First impressions... AMAZING!! Always wanted a R8 and finally got one. Amber-ish colored/figured top, baseball bat neck, weighing in at 9lbs 2oz. Very resonant/loud acousticly unplugged and plays like a dream.

I understand the serial number, but have a question about the last three digits. I was curious if it tells the day it was built (like the old serial numbers that gave the julian date)? I dont know many specifics of it yet, but wanna research and learn as much as possible about my new #1! Like I said, I WILL post pics tonight, but wanted to post this.

madformac

8 for Reissue (1958) 2 for year of production (2002) 633 for 633rd guitar built that year. So early 2002, the experts will give you a closer timeframe but 1st quarter of 2002.

Congratulations on your new Historic! :salude

Personally I think 2002 was one of the best years for the '58 Reissue.

Tubes 'n Wood

Thanx for the replies! "8 for Reissue (1958) 2 for year of production (2002) 633 for 633rd guitar built that year."... I understood all of this, and THINK I know that it was the 633rd guitar built out of all the '58 reissues that year, but didnt understand "when" in '02 it was built? madformac, is there a place to find when it was made? Its cool that now I know it was an early '02. I tried the gibson website and all it gives is info I already have. I'll post pics tonight :yah

MS 57

is there a place to find when it was made?

Have you tried Gibson Customer service. They are very good at giving info on vintage Gibsons, so they should also be able to help with newer ones.
Compared to today Gibson did not build many Historics in 2002, so if the number only refers to the Custom shop I would say that 633 suggests later in the year.
Looking forward to hearing more and seeing pics !!

Tubes 'n Wood

065_zpsa8e42526.jpg
062_zps708d8eec.jpg
060_zps58657ac8.jpg

Tubes 'n Wood

TYVM!! Ive lived with this R8 for awhile now and Im still amazed with it!? The only thing Im not sure about is the pots? They seem linear?! Debating putting in a CTS pot kit/50's style wiring with BB's I have and my set of early patent# picks now, or waiting till after my first chance to play a full gig with her and see how I like the current set up? Ill update this post later...