• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

baked maple fret boards

ch willie

Thankkkkkk youuuuuuuuu Gibson for 2012 and your lam and baked maple--it helped me to get a great deal on my fave guitar. I've owned Gibbys and Fenders for 3 decades, and this one became my number one immediately. It's neck is the most comfortable I've ever held, and I don't give a shit whether the FB is lam, baked maple, or pin oak....

3_zpsxlfj2jzi.jpg

Big Al

That is bi layered East Indian Rosewood and not baked Maple.

Big Al

BIG AL: no I am not joking at all. gibson must had sent the bad batch to norway. I love playing on maple fretboards, my fender strat has maple fb. what would be the cause of the buzz at the same place on all the guitars I played?? uneven frets?

It is a setup issue. If the neck has the proper relief and the guitar rings through everywhere but the higher fret I would imagine it is a high fret. Easily addressed with a proper level and crown. If the buzz, FRET RATTLE occurs at the 14th fret, let's say, then odds are the 15th fret is too high in relation to the other frets. Does it choke out when you bend the string at the buzz fret?? Or is it mostly a fret/string rattle? A too low action can account for fret buzz on the portion of fingerboard on the body.

I'd take it back to where you bought it and have them do a complete set up.

latkagravas

It is a setup issue. If the neck has the proper relief and the guitar rings through everywhere but the higher fret I would imagine it is a high fret. Easily addressed with a proper level and crown. If the buzz, FRET RATTLE occurs at the 14th fret, let's say, then odds are the 15th fret is too high in relation to the other frets. Does it choke out when you bend the string at the buzz fret?? Or is it mostly a fret/string rattle? A too low action can account for fret buzz on the portion of fingerboard on the body.

I'd take it back to where you bought it and have them do a complete set up.

BIG AL :) the g-string when strummed touched the 5th fret actually and made that buzz. my baked maple fretboards has been taken care of, but I was also talking of the other guitars I tried out at the store(didnt purchase them) and they all had the same problem. it sounds strange that so many guitars had the same problem,but it is a true story.

Brian Krashpad

BIG AL :) the g-string when strummed touched the 5th fret actually and made that buzz. my baked maple fretboards has been taken care of, but I was also talking of the other guitars I tried out at the store (didnt purchase them) and they all had the same problem. it sounds strange that so many guitars had the same problem,but it is a true story.

Sounds like a bad production run from the QC Dept. Probably all those necks were done on the same day.

Unfortunately not unheard of from Gibson in modern times.

djangolad

This.

No issue at all has been proven with the laminated boards. The worst thing they've caused is the witless shunning of guitars with them, but maybe that's not all bad because some people have picked up very good deals on amazing 2012 guitars.

Laminating wood strengthens it's rigidity. Makes it more stable to temp and humidity changes. It does not detract from quality in any way. No one complains that ES Gibsons have laminated maple tops. There is no rational reason to decry the laminated fretboards.

renderit

BIG AL :) the g-string when strummed touched the 5th fret actually and made that buzz. my baked maple fretboards has been taken care of, but I was also talking of the other guitars I tried out at the store(didnt purchase them) and they all had the same problem. it sounds strange that so many guitars had the same problem,but it is a true story.

Whenever I touch that I get slapped!