The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

lacquer checking

I've seen some early 2000 historics with some natural checking ....I guess it depends on the guitars life etc ...just wondering when you guys have noticed some checking happening ?

Les Paul Forum Member Trennasol's Avatar

Re: lacquer checking

Oddly enough, I was wiping down my 2007 R9 the other day, and noticed a fair amount of natural finish checking on he back of the guitar. I generally don't look at the back of the guitar too often, so I have no idea of when it happened, but I'd say over the last 6 months. Why it happened is a mystery to me as the guitar hasn't been exposed to extreme temps. The top of the guitar, however, hasn't shown any signs of checking.

And sadly no, I don't have any pics. The only camera I currently have is my cell phone, which isn't good enough to pick up details like that.

In the Zone/Backstage Pass Big Al's Avatar

I try to take care of my guitars, and it is with some pride that none of my Historics are finish checked. Not even a well traveled hard gigged 13 year old R9!.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Les Paul Forum Member GeetarGoul's Avatar

My 03' R9 checked one winter when I sent it to Gibson for a binding repair. I think it sat for a weekend in an unheated shipping warehouse in Memphis one winter. I actually didn't mind. It looks pretty cool and is definitely authentic. It also told me the lacquer had hardened.

This is my 03 Braz R9. Picture was taken about two months ago so it might have increased (I don't play it much). It never leaves my room so it doesn't see temp swings. I know this is good but I would rather it stayed pristine. Oh well.
    Rossington Sig LP
    03 MM 57 Stinger (Cover Girl)
    03 R9 Braz board
    07 R8
    08 R6
    Strummer Tele

Not even a Chicago winter could check the finish on my '09.

what I suspected ...a little bit of checking on some depending on the environment ...was wondering if different years they used slightly different lacquers ...or they sprayed a little thinner ?

also a few of you have checking only on the back of the guitar ...intresting

Les Paul Forum Member Trennasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theorocks View Post
    also a few of you have checking only on the back of the guitar ...intresting
    Yeah, I wonder what's up with that too? I was very surprised to see it on my 2007. Why on the back, but not the top? I'm indifferent to it checking. It's odd that some guitars check for those who don't really want that(me), but not so much for those who really try. Another mystery of the Les Paul. LOL

Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

My 63 Melody Maker has very little checking on the top, none on the back.

All Access/Backstage Pass Black58's Avatar

My '97 R8 started on the face of the headstock. Then the back. The top started 'bout 3-4 years ago.