• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Iconic Norlins:

miketheserb

I actually own a former John Sykes Black Custom although I've never taken the time to check the serial number to affix a date to it. It was apparently his 2nd in Lizzy and he sold or traded it to Billy Duffy of The Cult who sold it to Steve Jones in the mid-90s. Jonesy then traded it to me for a Norlin LP Standard (which was a cherry/orange sunburst which he had refinished blue sparkle and took on the Pistols' first reunion tour along with one of his newer iconic Norlin white LP Customs) The Sykes/Duffy/Jones Norlin was my touring guitar from '95-'06 til I got a CS '58 TV Model. I can't even handle the complexity of two pickups and a selector switch now ha ha!

kharrison

JP_77.jpg

That's the first #3 a 50's Les Paul. Not a Norlin.

skhan007

Here are a couple of more, very rare, pics of Ace and that guitar. These are from the very first tour and he had just quit his job as a cab driver. Note the very unusual and presumably rare bound headstock on this one...

tobacco__73f.jpg

tobacco__73i.jpg

i remember this pic! the les paul fits ace perfectly!
i think his lp is a deluxe if i remember right

and it looks superb in this pic

what a great shot!

Ah, the '73 costume. Not a whole lotta pics from that year. Very cool! :yah

Tonebender

That's the first #3 a 50's Les Paul. Not a Norlin.

That's the 77 Redtop, a 50's acquired, as I understand, from Micheal Corby of the Babies I do believe circa 1974. The real #3 is a Norlin that had been in Page's possession since 69/70. #3 wasn't present on the 77 US tour (photographic evidence backs this up.) So it's not the first #3 at all.

kharrison

That's the 77 Redtop, a 50's acquired, as I understand, from Micheal Corby of the Babies I do believe circa 1974. The real #3 is a Norlin that had been in Page's possession since 69/70. #3 wasn't present on the 77 US tour (photographic evidence backs this up.) So it's not the first #3 at all.

Yes you are correct. I couldn't remember which one came first. The Norlin or the 50's. I guess the real #3 has always been the Norlin.

Tonebender

Yes you are correct. I couldn't remember which one came first. The Norlin or the 50's. I guess the real #3 has always been the Norlin.

I always think of it this way: If it's pre-77 and red it's #3. If it's 77, it's the refinned 50's. Post Zeppelin, I've never seen a picture of the Redtop in use, but #3 got a B-bender and has seen extensive use.

Winston

Sonic Reducer
I actually own a former John Sykes Black Custom although I've never taken the time to check the serial number to affix a date to it. It was apparently his 2nd in Lizzy and he sold or traded it to Billy Duffy of The Cult who sold it to Steve Jones in the mid-90s. Jonesy then traded it to me for a Norlin LP Standard (which was a cherry/orange sunburst which he had refinished blue sparkle and took on the Pistols' first reunion tour along with one of his newer iconic Norlin white LP Customs) The Sykes/Duffy/Jones Norlin was my touring guitar from '95-'06 til I got a CS '58 TV Model. I can't even handle the complexity of two pickups and a selector switch now ha ha!

Is this the guitar from the Sonic Temple album cover? Could you please share a few pics?

miketheserb

Is this the guitar from the Sonic Temple album cover? Could you please share a few pics?

It might be the Sonic Temple LP Custom but Billy said he simply isn't sure if it is ha ha. Will post some photos. It's been toured and played a' plenty and shows it.

Winston

Sonic Reducer
It might be the Sonic Temple LP Custom but Billy said he simply isn't sure if it is ha ha. Will post some photos. It's been toured and played a' plenty and shows it.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

shred

Cool stuff :2cool

I'd definitely like to see some pics too.

M.H.

Angus Young's main SG is a Norlin. Pretty iconic :yah

Last edited:

gibsonfndr

Someone already mentionned Ronszon. The "most iconic" to me was the cover of his 2nd LP, I would drool all over the cover with (those were the days) no idea about what a "Norlin" could be all i knew was "I WANT one !". LOL.

Mick-Ronson-Play-Dont-Worry-491306_zps6ad4d983.jpg