• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage Goldtop Finish Work

JJ Blair

Nothing against Joel's work at all, and maybe it's just the lighting and/or camera settings, but the gold on the refin looks a little off compared to what was under the 3-way cover...

It's the white balance. He did a friend's '68 to perfection. (See pic below.)

BTW, the request on the particular guitar to which you referred was to make it as close to new as possible. Why the owner wanted that, I don't know.

I have a project that is supposed to be sent to Dave Johnson at some point, whenever it gets finished, but I've been hearing so many nightmares about his turnaround time, that I might just send it to Joel. Anybody else know anything about that?

The main problem with getting GTs done is nobody knows how to age them properly. Joel can get the greening in the checking. The unfortunate thing about his website is that his best work is not on it. I'm assuming that it's because it's for the privacy of his customers. But he's done some restoration stuff I've seen that I'd say is better than DJ.

JJ Blair

BTW, here's a close up detail of a JW refin and relic job. NOBODY's checking looks this good. This is art, right here, if you care about detail that much.

jwjr1.jpg

TM1

There are a handful of folks who do excellent finish work on GoldTops. I think you need to research what you want and go with the person who you think will do it best. I've had both Dave & Kim do work for me. Both excellent & no complaints!:dude:

Y

yeti

BTW, here's a close up detail of a JW refin and relic job. NOBODY's checking looks this good. This is art, right here, if you care about detail that much.

jwjr1.jpg

That is the best looking aged refin I've ever seen, WOW.
I'd go with that guy based on this pic alone:salude

edit: I just checked out the Goldtop restoration on JW's website, good stuff.

alschnier

I went thru this same process. I chose Gord Miller of GM Vintage Restorations. His work speaks for itself. His customer service went a long way. He returned every email & call, & was a pleasure to work with. It goes a LONG way in this day & age.

8b81b50c.jpg

TM1

I went thru this same process. I chose Gord Miller of GM Vintage Restorations. His work speaks for itself. His customer service went a long way. He returned every email & call, & was a pleasure to work with. It goes a LONG way in this day & age.

8b81b50c.jpg
Gord's a great guy ain't he! He gets too little recognition around here for his talents and his customer service skills!