• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The New 2013 Les Paul Specs

jcs

I've used many A3 magnets with great success in PAF types....not as hard and strident as an A5 or as compressed as an A2.

I like A4 as well, matter of fact i mix and A2 in P-90s with very good results.

Remember much depends on the amount of charge in any given magnet.

The only A5 i like is a really weakened (or degaussed) version.

Triburst

If you're going to try to tweak your Burstbuckers, etc. with an A3, you might be in for a surprise. Many luthier supply shops send their A3 and A4 humbucker magnets completely degaussed (they have never been charged). You have to use a pair of strong neodymium magnets to put a charge on them. The good news is that you can actually tweak them using the same magnets while they're in your pickups mounted on your guitar.

zombiwoof

All of this info on A3 mags is appreciated, but what I'm still trying to figure out is why Gibson seems to be using them in the "clone" guitars so much, like the Page and Beano LP's. I'm thinking that in trying to replicate the sound of the original pickups, which probably had A5 or A2 originally, and A3 more closely replicates the sound of those vintage pickups after all these years of aging to the originals. Just something I noticed and wondered about.

Al

Red Baron

All of this info on A3 mags is appreciated, but what I'm still trying to figure out is why Gibson seems to be using them in the "clone" guitars so much, like the Page and Beano LP's. I'm thinking that in trying to replicate the sound of the original pickups, which probably had A5 or A2 originally, and A3 more closely replicates the sound of those vintage pickups after all these years of aging to the originals. Just something I noticed and wondered about.

Al

It's probably a case of "if all else fails, use A3" ...it's a great all-rounder.

Red Baron

I own two 2013 R9s.
Here is the Iced tea burst..
r9corrected-vi.jpg

So you can see a clear difference in top carve and neck shape from 2012 Historic's? ...the only reason I ask is because I've not seen any mention of top carve and neck shape being different in 2013.

korus

Al

- The definition of A2,A3,A5 were not cast in stone then and are not cast now.
- Technology some 60 years ago was different - less 'precise' while making alloys for magnets ...

So, it just might be the case that today's A3 is tonally closer to 50's A2 then today's A2.

Also if the WIND on these has not changed from regular Burstbuckers to 'Custom' Bursbuckers (and the WIND is the key ingredient to any pickup's tone) - A3 can help in taming those nasty peaks in highs in bridge pickup and it also makes higher positions of unwound strings less thin sounding which happens when coils are unbalanced ... This was the good side.

Now the other one - current A3 can not be charged/magnetized as much as A2 - so even if the overall tone of Custom Burstbucker might be closer to a good PAF it will not have dynamics and punch of a good PAF - kind of 'a bit warmer sounding T-Top' ...

Too put it simply - if the regular Burstbucker's were described as too 'hot' for a PAF replica then Custom Burstbuckers will be not 'hot' enough for a PAF replica.

But with all the positive changes that are happening at this moment (glue,trussrod etc) this one will also be perceived as a good one by most, although it is actually not positive - it is neutral. However, most of us got tired of listening selling and replacing BBs and since every change IS good, let's enjoy this one while honeymoon lasts ... and even the SD put an A3 in bridge of that Joe Bonamassa set ...

bluesforstevie

Guys...what are the guitars officially called now? Gibson Les Paul and (whatever year they're copying) reissue....no custom shop or historic in the title?

Is the nut still being made from the 6/6 nylon or whatever...it looks so white compared to when they first switched back to nylon...or does it?

Also, the plastic looks like it has that pinkish hue again..is that just the photography?]

Other than the A3 mags what other differences in the custom buckers? Materials, scattered wind, uneven coils ????

jrr

- Too put it simply - if the regular Burstbucker's were described as too 'hot' for a PAF replica then Custom Burstbuckers will be not 'hot' enough for a PAF replica.

But with all the positive changes that are happening at this moment (glue,trussrod etc) this one will also be perceived as a good one by most, although it is actually not positive - it is neutral. ...

i'm not as worldly experienced as some here :)..i have played a lester from one period or another consistently for,gasp,38 yrs..what you've said here is consistent with my 2010 R8.The BB's are too hot to be a PAF replica.But they sound great.I wouldn't change them for the world.Just have to back off the tone controls,particularly the mids and bass.Can't imagine a pickup paf replica thats weaker than original pafs :rolleyes: ...imho,the changes are cool,i welcome them,and i will be hard pressed to hear a difference.I wouldn't trade my 2007 Warren Haynes 072 for a new 2013 "R",the wood on my WH is simply too good(as are the pups)....or my 2010 R8,for that matter.Hide glue neck joint and trussrod upgrade won't change the fact my 2 R8's are magnificent instruments.

zombiwoof

It seems to me that they are referring to the guitars as "Reissue" guitars now, and not Historic. I'm not positive, but that looks like what most sites are calling them.

Al

fjminor

For 2013 features, curious how Gibson "colors" the fretboard:

"Also, the fretboard and body binding has been darkened color-wise for a more vintage-accurate look. "

Pat Boyack

It seems to me that they are referring to the guitars as "Reissue" guitars now, and not Historic. I'm not positive, but that looks like what most sites are calling them.

Al

Shhhhhhh.......there are those who just can't admit it. Denial, you know......

cfljames

The music zoo just loaded up about a dozen 2013 Les Pauls for your viewing pleasure....

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I really don't know what the words "historic" & "reissue" mean anymore.

CoolJoMark

the worst part about this whole thing is how Gibson is advertising these new models with "1 Piece Boards!", where was this type of acknowledgment when they weren't 1 piece?!...very shady!

K

Kim R

I just put this up on the "2012" thread but it should have been over here:

Observations on 2013 R7 7 3037 at Wildwood:

I had to stop by the store today and spent about an hour with the guitar listed above - mostly due to curiousity by some of the points raised here. Very unscientific observations:

The tuners look very nice to me, both the button and the gear case. Yes, the very top of the capstan is slightly domed.

The Gibson logo is in the same position as my own 2010 Hysteric, but it is made from darker, tinted material.

The nut is made from the same nylon material as my 2010 and is the same color when viewed in person.

As Slub has already posted, the fret board is nice and dark with the newer style "celluloid" (simulated celluloid??) material.

The binding is slightly darker and is also painted with a darker coat of lacquer.

The neck pickup is very clear and just slightly less hot than Custom Buckers on the Wildwood Spec guitars (slightly more subdued than the Wildwood Spec pickup when compared to the BurstBucker I).

The bridge pickup is much more subdued than any PAF clone I've heard from Gibson and sounds absolutely glorious (seriously). It compresses with just average attack and blooms with that squish-splatt treble statement. If this is typical (don't have any idea), I think it's a landscape changer with regard to Gibson and their in-house pups.

Neck angle is slightly more pronounced than my 2010. The strings clear the bridge pup frame by 1/8" with very low action. My 2010 is slightly more than half that with the exact same action height.

The guitar was set up extremely well: Zero relief, treble-side clearance at 3/64 and bass at 4/64 (twelth fret). No buzz with big bends and stiff attack, all the way up to 22.

Standard TOM, wireless ABR. The tail piece is held down by longer studs (3/16" longer than previous stock Gibson). The studs are still brass and I held a few new "extras" from Gibson Custom in my hand to compare. I was told that the steel anchors are also longer but did not see an example.

To my eyes and in excellent flourescent light, the top carve looked the same as my 2010 model ('55 "refin"). My guitar is a gloss-burst and the new R7 is VOS'd which makes this comparison a little more challenging. Both guitars show a flatter pickup deck and a concave edge gully around the tail bouts when compared to years before 2009. I didn't measure any of this; it's all by visual comparison.

The gold color is a tinge darker and definitely shows that greenish hue in the shadows. The back/neck color is also darker and IMO, much more attractive. 'Reminds me of an old piano.

Pickup rings and pickguard are exactly the same color as those on my 2010.

The "badge" on the pick guard is a paper/plastic sticker and it comes off. The badge on the selector plate (back) is metalic and stays on.

The new Lifton-style brown case is better than an example from a decade ago but it still isn't good enough (latches). There is more padding around the edges and back panel.

In general: A fantastic new LP! I'm not in the market - I don't collect and I have the right Les Paul already (2010 '55 Refin with wrapover). My guitar was slightly louder and a bit brighter than the 2013, but I'll avoid further comparisons due to their subjectivity.

Oh: The neck did - without question - appear to be glued to the body of the guitar. It did not move, at all.