• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Classic Custom Frets

Dale O

Hi Guys

It's been awhile. I had to sell my Custom many years ago to keep business going. Anyway, just took delivery of a new Classic Custom and to me the frets appear kind of flat. Is this the way Gibson now dresses frets for this range of guitar, or Plek system?

Also, I think the top looks great. Wrothy of no pick guard?

Thanks

IMG_1812_zpsb7a8d00c.jpg

IMG_1815_zpsa7878171.jpg

Last edited:

D'Mule

Are all the frets like that or just at the end? Definitely ground down with no attempt to crown them.

Dale O

All are like that, consistent top to bottom and side to side. Purchased from Music Zoo so I know it's not a second. Just find it odd that there is no crown.

donw35

Here are the frets on my 2012 Studio for comparison if it helps.
studiofrets.jpg

Dale O

Mine are more of the school bus profile I've read about, high - last fret is the flattest. The flatter areas of all frets are where the frets meet binding. Very consistent so not sure if this is acceptable or should return. While doing a search I've read a few other posts on other forums about flat frets but no conclusion really given.

Last edited:

Dale O

It actually plays great! That's what surprised me, always thought you needed a domed top to play well.

D'Mule

It actually plays great! That's what surprised me, always thought you needed a domed top to play well.

That's what I used to think, too. I used to grind down my frets with vibrato and bends and then spend good money to crown them.

Now I just grind them down and it plays like butta.:2cool