• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Les Paul Juniors...Any good?

Musicman

GULP....
After the great advice from several members I've purchased a BJ model...it's en route for delivery as I write...only hope it arrives in one piece.

It's the sunburst model, which I've been holding out for. I do hope it arrives in time for Christmas...

Can't wait to see it! :salude

oskarbil

"My second choice would probably be an all original '57, possibly even one with a *good* headstock repair. But not a refin. That's just me. If I had to pick one of the two to save some dough, it would be the HS repair."[/QUOTE]

I was reading this post from 2012 and I would like to bring something.

Blackberry smoke vintage gibson les paul junior specs
http://youtu.be/ukSVTtYNn5c

An here the tone of this guitar
http://youtu.be/7rFrCAbBKIg

CBRmatt600

I recently built a DC Junior from a kit, and it is absolutely killer. Blows away any newer Junior that I've played, and all in cost me about $750. That's with a custom handwound P90 and really nice hardware as well, much better than you are likely to find on a new production guitar.

LordByron

"My second choice would probably be an all original '57, possibly even one with a *good* headstock repair. But not a refin. That's just me. If I had to pick one of the two to save some dough, it would be the HS repair."

I was reading this post from 2012 and I would like to bring something.

Blackberry smoke vintage gibson les paul junior specs
http://youtu.be/ukSVTtYNn5c

An here the tone of this guitar
http://youtu.be/7rFrCAbBKIg[/QUOTE]

I played an all original '57 (in VERY good shape, for a non-safe-queen) the other day and it was glorious. The resonance on the thing was ridiculous. I got to play it cranked up through several great amps, including a couple of /13s, Dr. Zs, and Magnatones. WOW! Of course.... it was about $10k. :(

I did, however, just pick up a '15 Junior, which I am liking a lot. Despite the controversy over some of the '15 features (very happily, mine does not have those damnable robot tuner monstrosities), this is a fun little guitar with a tone of great tone. I'm looking forward to doing a little Green Day tribute in my basement this weekend! :hank

24168296943_5a009f43bf_z.jpg
[/URL]Les Paul Jr. by ByronMGSanford, on Flickr[/IMG]

roxrob

I know this is an old thread. but if you want vintage wood for a very good price check out the '59 to '62 melody makers. I've got a mid '61 double cutaway. Single peice body, chunky neck, brazilian fingerboard, proper bumblebee caps, original pots, resonates like crazy, light-weight and only £700 in the UK.

The only mods I've made are new tuners (repro ones that look original) an intonatable bridge and a Curtis Novak P90 Dogear mm pickup mounted on a new scratchplate. No permanent modifications, no extra routing for the pickup and total cost about £850.

Acoustically, my 2000 Les Paul sounds like wet cardboard in comparison.

Check one out if you're in the market for affordable vintage wood, before the prices start getting silly. I've already seen some early ones advertised on ebay for over £2000!!

Cheers

Rob

jrgtr42

I recently built a DC Junior from a kit, and it is absolutely killer. Blows away any newer Junior that I've played, and all in cost me about $750. That's with a custom handwound P90 and really nice hardware as well, much better than you are likely to find on a new production guitar.

What kit did you build?
I kinda have my eye on a '54 Single cut kit from Precision Guitar Kits. They look pretty nice and are at the right price.
Other things I've seen around say they're pretty good quality too.

CBRmatt600

What kit did you build?
I kinda have my eye on a '54 Single cut kit from Precision Guitar Kits. They look pretty nice and are at the right price.
Other things I've seen around say they're pretty good quality too.

I did the 58 Double Cut kit from Precision. It was flawless, and coupled with a P90 from Sanford Magnetics, it screams. Of all the guitars I own, that one is the rowdiest and most fun to play.

Stoj

I'm not sure how the new Juniors are or play but I love my '58 DC Junior Reissue :dude: