• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bill Lawrence HBR/HBL Circuit Board Pickups

rlan52

Big mistake based on how you just described these p/u's. Don't chase the PAF ghost or cave to forum peer pressure. Everyone is an expert and has their own opinion. In the end, your's is the only one that matters.

Well, it's been a year now and this ES-347 has become my main GO-TO guitar for both recording and performing. The set of Classic 57's never made it into this guitar, they did end up in my ES-333 which I now have up for sale.

Most of my work these days is recording. I find that going direct into Pro Tools using a modeling program like Amplitude gives me a great range of sound to work with. For live shows, I now use a new Fender Champ 15 watt Tube amp with modeling. I dial in the Bassman amp sound, pretty much crank it and send the output to a 50 watt Marshall. No more tube screamer, no more pedals.

In hindsight, i was chasing a PAF sound but the ES-347 is a unique bird and needs to be celebrated on her own terms. I don't know how the Bill Lawrence pups stack up against the earlier models that had the Dirty Finger pups but I am truly in love with the guitar, the way it sounds, the way it feels, the way it plays, it's weight, it's balance, etc. Honestly, I have this guitar in my lap even when I am watching TV. Of note, I tried the coil splitting once or twice and it really doesn't do Fender very well so I have not used that switch since. If I have anything done to the guitar in the future it will be to remove the coil splitting and I will probably put a period correct stop tail on instead of the TP-6 which works perfectly but my arm leans on it occasionally and it bothers me. I wouldn't change it for sound or sustain as the guitar has plenty of great sound and sustain with it's original parts.

Thanks everyone for your interest and great comments...Ricky

MikeSlub

Administrator
While I don't hate them, I am not a huge fan of the Lawrence "circuit board" pickups. To my ears they sound better than Dirty Fingers, so IMHO they are a step up. :hank

At the end of the day, if the guitar sounds good to your ears with those pickups and inspires you to play, that's all that really matters! :dude:

chuckNC

Well, it's been a year now and this ES-347 has become my main GO-TO guitar for both recording and performing....

In hindsight, i was chasing a PAF sound but the ES-347 is a unique bird and needs to be celebrated on her own terms. I don't know how the Bill Lawrence pups stack up against the earlier models that had the Dirty Finger pups but I am truly in love with the guitar, the way it sounds, the way it feels, the way it plays, it's weight, it's balance, etc....

I wouldn't change it for sound or sustain as the guitar has plenty of great sound and sustain with it's original parts.
That really is what it's all about. Sometimes we find our #1 guitar is right there in the corner waiting for us to get done chasing something else.

papersoul

My favorite pickup of all time is the HB-L!!! Hands down. It has this angry growl that I LOVE!

Mr. Papa

Resurrecting this zombie thread from 2012-2014. Any new thoughts or opinions on Bill Lawrence HBR/HBL pickups? I am experimenting with a set and am trying to hear what people who hate them hate about them. There are a few strong opinions for and against, but not many opinions overall. Maybe because they were used for such a short time?

mrfett

I really like these pickups. They aren't vintage flavored but they are far superior to 490R/498T sets and even 57 Classics IMO.

Old School

I had the Bill Lawerence's in a `89 `61 SG I bought new. Hated them. I ended up putting a set of Pearly Gates in the SG. Much better!

Do you still have the Bill Lawrence pickups, would you sell them, Cheers

Old School

I finally got a chance to plug it in and let it rip. Over the last year I have been used to Burstbucker 2's and the 490/498T combo in my ES-333. These Bill Lawrence pickups are a very nice upgrade in that they are very defined in the mids and highs. In fact, when I plugged in my ES-333 right after an hour of playing the ES-347 the ES-333 seemed almost muddy and bassy.

Clearly the HBR/HBL combo is higher output but they are extremely clear and well balanced. With the coil tapping there a wide variety of sounds. Not exactly Tele/Strat but in that vein. When the toggle witch is in the middle and the coil tap is engaged it almost sounds like a Gretsch.

Overall, the Bill Lawrence pickups are very nice. That said, they don't have that vintage PAF sound that the Classic 57's has or the Classic 57+. I also have a SD 59 in one of my LP's and that has more of a PAF sound than the Bill Lawrence pickups.

The ES-347 plays like a dream. It is spectacular. The neck feels perfect. A bit on the heavy side but the guitar is solid. Extremely well built. Stays in tune perfectly.

For now, I will keep the pickups as they are but I think I will seriously consider getting a pair of Classic 57's...

Hi, let me know if you ever want to sell the Bill Laurence pickups. Cheers

Old School

Resurrecting this zombie thread from 2012-2014. Any new thoughts or opinions on Bill Lawrence HBR/HBL pickups? I am experimenting with a set and am trying to hear what people who hate them hate about them. There are a few strong opinions for and against, but not many opinions overall. Maybe because they were used for such a short time?

Hi, if you ever want to sell them please let me know. Cheers