• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1983 Les Paul Spotlight Special Photos

Tim H.

One of the perks of working in the plant was that you got first shot at the best tops. This is 83 105. My brother, who also recently joined this forum, got to come inside the plant and choose between this one and another one that looked just as good.

20150227_174941_zpswjigtpr9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Wow! stunning top. Thanks for the photo and sharing your logbook notes.

Strings Jr.

MikeSlub: Extremely nice collection! I can tell you that your 83 174 was born on September 20th, 1983. First one I built that day. I noticed I wrote a "B" after the model. I can't remember what that was for. I also built the 83 195. This one is quite interesting. First, it wasn't built until June 8th, 1984. I built two that day, and the other one has that odd 84 serial number. (And it gets even better) My notes say both of the guitars I built that day were for "The Oak Ridge Boys", or more likely someone who played guitar for them. As for the mahogany strip on your 195, being built that late, I would say all the walnut was long gone by then. Also, look for my initials, RFL in the control cavity of both of yours.

83%20174_zpsoqunkrt5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
84%20009_zpszoipnqnx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

MikeSlub

Administrator
MikeSlub: Extremely nice collection! I can tell you that your 83 174 was born on September 20th, 1984. First one I built that day. I noticed I wrote a "B" after the model. I can't remember what that was for. I also built the 83 195. This one is quite interesting. First, it wasn't built until June 8th, 1984. I built two that day, and the other one has that odd 84 serial number. (And it gets even better) My notes say both of the guitars I built that day were for "The Oak Ridge Boys", or more likely someone who played guitar for them. As for the mahogany strip on your 195, being built that late, I would say all the walnut was long gone by then. Also, look for my initials, RFL in the control cavity of both of yours.

83%20174_zpsoqunkrt5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
84%20009_zpszoipnqnx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Thank you Strings Jr.! :dude:

MikeSlub

Administrator
MikeSlub: Extremely nice collection! I can tell you that your 83 174 was born on September 20th, 1984. First one I built that day. I noticed I wrote a "B" after the model. I can't remember what that was for. I also built the 83 195. This one is quite interesting. First, it wasn't built until June 8th, 1984. I built two that day, and the other one has that odd 84 serial number. (And it gets even better) My notes say both of the guitars I built that day were for "The Oak Ridge Boys", or more likely someone who played guitar for them. As for the mahogany strip on your 195, being built that late, I would say all the walnut was long gone by then. Also, look for my initials, RFL in the control cavity of both of yours.

Strings Jr., I opened up the control cavity on 83 174 and didn't see any initials. I took the metal can cover off, and looked all the way around the cavity. Did you write them on the bottom of the cavity under the base metal plate holding the pots in place? If so I am not going to remove that, since it is tacked into the wood. :hank

Strings Jr.

Typically, it would be in the area where the pickup and toggle wires enter the cavity. This pic is from eBay when 83 089 went up for sale a year or so ago.

gibsonspo-1385075606-23380_zpsyd79sxbu.jpg
83 089 initials.jpg

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

That's a beautiful guitar you have there. I have 35 Spotlights in my book, but yours is not one of them. I would love to have built all of them, but it just wasn't possible. According to the dates for a few of the serial numbers that I built close to yours (such as 83 016), I would say yours was built in March 1983. Sorry but that's about all the info I can give you. Congrats on owning such a great guitar!!

loduck

thanks strings for your reply. It would have been cool to have known its creator. It does have great quilting and matches well. I notice some had pickguards and some dont, mine does but i have it off to show more nice wood. Its heavy though, coming in over 11 pounds. Its still all original too.

Breakrite

Hope Strings Jr is still monitoring. Too cool that you built so many of the Spotlights. :dude:

This is mine, #128. Bought new in Honolulu in 1983. I'm the original owner. Did you build it?

IMG_3463.jpg

DanD

One of the perks of working in the plant was that you got first shot at the best tops. This is 83 105. My brother, who also recently joined this forum, got to come inside the plant and choose between this one and another one that looked just as good.

20150227_174941_zpswjigtpr9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hands down the nicest Spotlight I've seen! :3zone

Strings Jr.

Hope Strings Jr is still monitoring. Too cool that you built so many of the Spotlights.
dude.gif

This is mine, #128. Bought new in Honolulu in 1983. I'm the original owner. Did you build it?

Nice guitar! Sorry, I couldn't find #128 in my records.

I did find #129. It was built on August 22nd, 1983 so yours would have been built very close to that timeframe.

Thanks for asking!!

Breakrite

Hope Strings Jr is still monitoring. Too cool that you built so many of the Spotlights. :dude:

Nice guitar! Sorry, I couldn't find #128 in my records.

I did find #129. It was built on August 22nd, 1983 so yours would have been built very close to that timeframe.

Thanks for asking!!

Stings Jr. , that is great information to know even though (as Maury says) "you are not the father!" Still, I'll consider you my Spotlight's "Uncle" . I'm happy to report your Nephew is now 33 years old, all original and in fantastic condition. :peace2

derosarj

That's a beautiful guitar you have there. I have 35 Spotlights in my book, but yours is not one of them. I would love to have built all of them, but it just wasn't possible. According to the dates for a few of the serial numbers that I built close to yours (such as 83 016), I would say yours was built in March 1983. Sorry but that's about all the info I can give you. Congrats on owning such a great guitar!!

Hi Strings,
What a coincidence. I happen to own 83 016. I got it new in 1983 and gigged it extensively in the 80's and 00's. It is a beautiful instrument and a real pleasure to play. Nice job!

Can you tell me anything about it from your notes?

Regards,

Bob DeRosa

Strings Jr.

Hi Strings,
What a coincidence. I happen to own 83 016. I got it new in 1983 and gigged it extensively in the 80's and 00's. It is a beautiful instrument and a real pleasure to play. Nice job!

Can you tell me anything about it from your notes?

Regards,

Bob DeRosa

Hello Bob, Thanks for your message. I love hearing from owners
of guitars I built!

Your Spotlight was built on April 11th, 1983. And, as the serial
number shows, it was one of the early ones. In fact, yours was
the 4th Spotlight that I built, and it has the lowest serial number
of any that I built. I'd love to see a photo of that beauty!!

Here's the entry in my ledger. Thanks again!!

83%20016_zpsbzyhacbi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

nickza

Strings Jr. when you were building these awesome Les Paul's in '82/83 were they doing traditional weight relief at this point?

It's really awesome for the owners to be able to chat to the original builder, love this forum!

Supercurio

Hey Mike! I don't know if you remember me (or if you'll get back on this thread to see this -- hopefully so!) but I'm Colby in Houston. Back around 2003 I purchased a quilted top ASB Spotlight from you. I just looked back at the Vintage Guitar article of yours and the Spotlight I purchased appears to still be in the upper left corner. This one-----> https://www.vintageguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/1029/23.jpg

I thought you'd be pleased to know that the guitar is still in tip-top shape, and I've been thoroughly joyed and inspired by it over these 14 years. Thanks again for give me the opportunity acquire one. Glad to see your Spotlights are looking great as well!

Strings Jr. - I am curious if you have any info on my SS. Its serial no. is "83 007". As I stated earlier, it's a quilted maple sunburst model. I don't have any pics of my own to share at the moment. If you get the chance I'd love to learn more about it and its history.

This is my first post in the Les Paul forum :) it's great to meet everyone! With only 211 Spotlights out there it's really cool to see so many owners all posting in one place. We're a lucky group.