• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Are thre any 2002 R9's?

MikeG59

I NEVER see any of these anywhere. Any one here have one? Not signature models.

vintage58

They were not cheap when they came out (as I recall, an R-9 price increase went into effect on the 2002's, no?), and compared with R-9 production totals from years after '02, not terribly many were produced in that year. I also seem to remember Ronn David having a handful of nice-looking ones on his Vintage World site right after these guitars debuted, and that all of that handful had eastern maple tops with fairly "big" figure. Anyway, you're right — not too many pics of the 2002's have surfaced around here lately.

delawaregold

Not mine, I found it in the files.

92160.jpg

hoss

The 2002 seem to be pretty rare. I just checked the HLPDB and there are only 3 out of 270 total R9s

Plankspanker

I owned a 2002 R9 that I bought from Ronn David. There was some unique feature that appeared that year.I can't remember specifically but it could have been the first year for
BB caps or something like that. I remember the R9 having a very nice "big "Top", and was expensive; I don't think they made a lot of em that year. I kept it for a few months and ended up selling it and buying another R9. I don't recall it being a particularly great sounding R9, it was heavy and not that conductive tone-wise,

vintage58

Good to see you here, Robert — haven't seen you post in a while, hope you're well these days.

Here's a Vintage World pic of one of these guitars; not sure what serial number this one was, but this was one of the handful that VW had, that had eastern maple tops with big figure:
lpf2012_00040.jpg

vintage58

....and here's another '02 that was originally at VW:
lpf2012_00041.jpg

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
There were only around 300 '59's built in 2002 and they were only available at about 4-5 dealers. They sold for $5500.00 and they came with some extra goodies including a Gibson Jacket. Some new exclusive appointments that then showed up on the whole line in 2003, new inlays and tuner alignment. Also exclusive to those guitars was NOS CTS pots and special yellow caps which then were covered in the plastic shell and became the Bumblebees in 2003. First guitars to have the lighter colored gold knobs as still currently being used instead of the previous dark amber color.

J.D.

Yep, and you forgot the no-wire ABR-1 bridge, which is the same as the pre-2009 version except not drilled for the retaining wire, and AFAIK only installed on 2002 R9s.

lpflametop

Good to see you here, Robert — haven't seen you post in a while, hope you're well these days.

Here's a Vintage World pic of one of these guitars; not sure what serial number this one was, but this was one of the handful that VW had, that had eastern maple tops with big figure:
lpf2012_00040.jpg

I owned that one, Jimmy Murray has it now!
Here is a picture of it....far right..
I remember the big gullwing flame above the tailpiece..
100_0047.jpg

I top would go from almost plain to killer depending on the angle.. very cool guitar.

pinefd

A "special order" '02 R9, with Braz, Murphy painted and aged, vintage '59 profile neck, hand selected wood, and weighing it at 7.6 lbs., unchambered (and now sporting a set of vintage zebra PAFs):

Sue_B_W.jpg

Frank

Ryan Givhan

A "special order" '02 R9, with Braz, Murphy painted and aged, vintage '59 profile neck, hand selected wood, and weighing it at 7.6 lbs., unchambered (and now sporting a set of vintage zebra PAFs):

Sue_B_W.jpg

Frank
Yessir!!!

BIG Dave

Ronn David's Vintage World was located about a mile from my home. In 2002, I dropped in to look around. The R8's had figured tops that year so I checked out both the R8's and R9's Ronn had on the wall. The R9's were going for (if I remember correctly) about $5K and change. The R8's, which looked pretty close to the R9's, were going for $3K plus change. I figured I'd save myself $2K so I walked out with an 2002 R8 for $3,200. See below...

R8_1.jpg

R8_2.jpg

R8_3.jpg

guitarbob123

Sue_B_W.jpg

Frank

Is that guitar part of the law suit thing where Gibson made a pair of very close replicas?

Todd Louis

There were only around 300 '59's built in 2002 and they were only available at about 4-5 dealers. They sold for $5500.00 and they came with some extra goodies including a Gibson Jacket. Some new exclusive appointments that then showed up on the whole line in 2003, new inlays and tuner alignment. Also exclusive to those guitars was NOS CTS pots and special yellow caps which then were covered in the plastic shell and became the Bumblebees in 2003. First guitars to have the lighter colored gold knobs as still currently being used instead of the previous dark amber color.
You beat me to it..:salude
I had 2 one with a BRW board

MikeG59

Sue_B_W.jpg

Frank

Wow, the best

John Potter

2002 was a big year for the '59 changes:
BB2 & BB3 (later on in the production cycle the 58s got them too).
Non-Gibson marked Klusons. Plain, not marked with Kluson either.
Wireless ABR (with bridge pieces that fall out).
Thinner jackplate and toggle switch.
Sharp inlays.
Tuning pegs lined up correctly.
Better coloration on knobs.
Lifton case.
A bunch of "goodies" - framed Les Paul 'swatch', cable, strap, etc.

The 59s went for $5,500 ($1,000 more than the 1999s) and the 58s (washed cherry and flametop) went for about $3,200.

When they started production on the 2003s, I believe that every model started getting these features (but they changed to BB1 & BB2) and the priced dropped back to $4,500 for the 59s.