The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are thre any 2002 R9's?

I NEVER see any of these anywhere. Any one here have one? Not signature models.

Les Paul Forum Member vintage58's Avatar
    Detached and subdivided in the mass-production zone.
    They were not cheap when they came out (as I recall, an R-9 price increase went into effect on the 2002's, no?), and compared with R-9 production totals from years after '02, not terribly many were produced in that year. I also seem to remember Ronn David having a handful of nice-looking ones on his Vintage World site right after these guitars debuted, and that all of that handful had eastern maple tops with fairly "big" figure. Anyway, you're right — not too many pics of the 2002's have surfaced around here lately.
    "And it seems to me perfectly in the cards that there will be, within the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making
    people love their servitude, and producing . . . a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact
    have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propa-
    ganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods." Aldous Huxley, 1961

Re: Are thre any 2002 R9's?

Not mine, I found it in the files.

The original Idiot Savant

The 2002 seem to be pretty rare. I just checked the HLPDB and there are only 3 out of 270 total R9s

Les Paul Forum Member Plankspanker's Avatar

I owned a 2002 R9 that I bought from Ronn David. There was some unique feature that appeared that year.I can't remember specifically but it could have been the first year for
    BB caps or something like that. I remember the R9 having a very nice "big "Top", and was expensive; I don't think they made a lot of em that year. I kept it for a few months and ended up selling it and buying another R9. I don't recall it being a particularly great sounding R9, it was heavy and not that conductive tone-wise,

Good to see you here, Robert — haven't seen you post in a while, hope you're well these days.

Here's a Vintage World pic of one of these guitars; not sure what serial number this one was, but this was one of the handful that VW had, that had eastern maple tops with big figure:
    "And it seems to me perfectly in the cards that there will be, within the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making
    people love their servitude, and producing . . . a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact
    have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propa-
    ganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods." Aldous Huxley, 1961

....and here's another '02 that was originally at VW:

There were only around 300 '59's built in 2002 and they were only available at about 4-5 dealers. They sold for $5500.00 and they came with some extra goodies including a Gibson Jacket. Some new exclusive appointments that then showed up on the whole line in 2003, new inlays and tuner alignment. Also exclusive to those guitars was NOS CTS pots and special yellow caps which then were covered in the plastic shell and became the Bumblebees in 2003. First guitars to have the lighter colored gold knobs as still currently being used instead of the previous dark amber color.

Yep, and you forgot the no-wire ABR-1 bridge, which is the same as the pre-2009 version except not drilled for the retaining wire, and AFAIK only installed on 2002 R9s.

Les Paul Forum Member lpflametop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintage58 View Post
    Good to see you here, Robert — haven't seen you post in a while, hope you're well these days.

Here's a Vintage World pic of one of these guitars; not sure what serial number this one was, but this was one of the handful that VW had, that had eastern maple tops with big figure:
    I owned that one, Jimmy Murray has it now!
    Here is a picture of it....far right..
    I remember the big gullwing flame above the tailpiece..

I top would go from almost plain to killer depending on the angle.. very cool guitar.

All Access/Backstage Pass pinefd's Avatar

A "special order" '02 R9, with Braz, Murphy painted and aged, vintage '59 profile neck, hand selected wood, and weighing it at 7.6 lbs., unchambered (and now sporting a set of vintage zebra PAFs):

Frank

Les Paul Forum Member Ryan Givhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pinefd View Post
    A "special order" '02 R9, with Braz, Murphy painted and aged, vintage '59 profile neck, hand selected wood, and weighing it at 7.6 lbs., unchambered (and now sporting a set of vintage zebra PAFs):

Frank
    Yessir!!!

Ronn David's Vintage World was located about a mile from my home. In 2002, I dropped in to look around. The R8's had figured tops that year so I checked out both the R8's and R9's Ronn had on the wall. The R9's were going for (if I remember correctly) about $5K and change. The R8's, which looked pretty close to the R9's, were going for $3K plus change. I figured I'd save myself $2K so I walked out with an 2002 R8 for $3,200. See below...

Les Paul's, Marshall's, Corvettes! 'Nuff said.

Gibson: R8 '14, R9 BRZ '03, R8 '02, '89 Chet Atkins SST
    Fender: '57 Strat RI USA '82, '83, '03, '07, '05 Custom Shop
    Marshall: '71 JMP50, '80 2204, '84 2204, '88 1987S, '97 1987X WHITE, '99 JTM45, '06 2061X
    Marshall: '68 4x12 Basketweave, '74 4x12 Creambacks, '77 2x12 w/Alnico Blues, '83 2x12, '84 2x12, '88 4x12
    Fender: '63 Princeton, '67 SFDR, '77 SFPR, '79 SFPR
    Transportation: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51, 2011 Jeep Patriot

Les Paul Forum Member guitarbob123's Avatar

Frank
    Is that guitar part of the law suit thing where Gibson made a pair of very close replicas?

Les Paul Forum Member Todd Louis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markguitar View Post
    There were only around 300 '59's built in 2002 and they were only available at about 4-5 dealers. They sold for $5500.00 and they came with some extra goodies including a Gibson Jacket. Some new exclusive appointments that then showed up on the whole line in 2003, new inlays and tuner alignment. Also exclusive to those guitars was NOS CTS pots and special yellow caps which then were covered in the plastic shell and became the Bumblebees in 2003. First guitars to have the lighter colored gold knobs as still currently being used instead of the previous dark amber color.
    You beat me to it..
    I had 2 one with a BRW board
    The World Needs a MARSHALL ENEMA !

Brooklyn,Manhattan,Queens,Da Bronx, Staten Island.....
    NYC The Greatest Country in DA World....!

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.
    I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that.
    That's what's insane about it."
    John Lennon

All Access/Backstage Pass pinefd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbob123 View Post
    Is that guitar part of the law suit thing where Gibson made a pair of very close replicas?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by delawaregold View Post

Not mine, I found it in the files.

awesome

Frank
    Wow, the best

2002 was a big year for the '59 changes:
    BB2 & BB3 (later on in the production cycle the 58s got them too).
    Non-Gibson marked Klusons. Plain, not marked with Kluson either.
    Wireless ABR (with bridge pieces that fall out).
    Thinner jackplate and toggle switch.
    Sharp inlays.
    Tuning pegs lined up correctly.
    Better coloration on knobs.
    Lifton case.
    A bunch of "goodies" - framed Les Paul 'swatch', cable, strap, etc.

The 59s went for $5,500 ($1,000 more than the 1999s) and the 58s (washed cherry and flametop) went for about $3,200.

When they started production on the 2003s, I believe that every model started getting these features (but they changed to BB1 & BB2) and the priced dropped back to $4,500 for the 59s.

Re: Are there any 2002 R9's?

I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that.
    John Lennon

John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by John Potter View Post
    2002 was a big year for the '59 changes:
    BB2 & BB3 (later on in the production cycle the 58s got them too).
    Non-Gibson marked Klusons. Plain, not marked with Kluson either.
    Wireless ABR (with bridge pieces that fall out).
    Thinner jackplate and toggle switch.
    Sharp inlays.
    Tuning pegs lined up correctly.
    Better coloration on knobs.
    Lifton case.
    A bunch of "goodies" - framed Les Paul 'swatch', cable, strap, etc.

The 59s went for $5,500 ($1,000 more than the 1999s) and the 58s (washed cherry and flametop) went for about $3,200.

When they started production on the 2003s, I believe that every model started getting these features (but they changed to BB1 & BB2) and the priced dropped back to $4,500 for the 59s.
    A few thinds to clarify here.
    BB where 1 and 2 and that is the year they started un officially the PU's in the 02' 59's where the transition BB's with no PAT No. Sticker.
    The Tuners where marked.
    The Lifton started in 01'
    In 03' more changes went into effect that remained till 09'
    The price was dropped and BRW was added.

John Lennon

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Louis View Post
    The Lifton started in 01'
    Didn't the '99 R9s have a Lifton as one of two cases ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Yes.

Todd,

It may well be that my tuners were the only ones that were blank, but they were.

With regards to BB2&3 vs BB1&2: It is something that I recall, as I also recall that for 2003 they went to BB1&2 to be more "vintage". I seem to recall some discussion here about that but, alas alak, age may be playing tricks with my memory!

But, it seems to be something that Danelectro recalls as that's how he has things written up in the Historic LP transitions/changes.

I pulled mine out and there were no markings of BB#. Don't recall PAF sticker, but I can check.

I think they also made the switch in 2002 to the 500k linear cts pots, however, the markings were on the backs in 2002 and on the side starting in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by John Potter View Post
    Todd,

It may well be that my tuners were the only ones that were blank, but they were.

With regards to BB2&3 vs BB1&2: It is something that I recall, as I also recall that for 2003 they went to BB1&2 to be more "vintage". I seem to recall some discussion here about that but, alas alak, age may be playing tricks with my memory!

But, it seems to be something that Danelectro recalls as that's how he has things written up in the Historic LP transitions/changes.

I pulled mine out and there were no markings of BB#. Don't recall PAF sticker, but I can check.
    But remember the Custom Authentic had the real first BB's and they could have had the 2 and 3...I think they did...
    I have a CA from 05' I have to look at the BB there in storage....
    That is cool about you tuner...I don't think I've seen that.

In all the 02' where a hodgepodge of things a real transition year to say the least... To the modern Historic. or the 03' to 08' era.
    But in truth the 09' really didn't have much change.

John Lennon

Not all of them just certain ones.
    The anniversary one's had the lifton and you got a Hard Boud BOTB copy.

John Lennon

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Louis View Post
    Not all of them just certain ones.
    The anniversary one's had the lifton and you got a Hard Boud BOTB copy.
    Yepp, and why did you say 2001 then ? Wasn't all the '99 R9s Anniversaries ? My '99 R9 has a orignial Lifton, and a original 'soft' BOTB.

Yepp, and why did you say 2001 then ? Wasn't all the '99 R9s Anniversaries ? My '99 R9 has a orignial Lifton, and a original 'soft' BOTB.
    No the reg 99' came with the old case.
    It was in 01' that it was stand issue for the 59'

John Lennon

Les Paul Forum Member

Okay, whats the difference between a regular '99, and a Annversary '99 ?
    And how can one spot the difference ?

Les Paul Forum Member

Okay, whats the difference between a regular '99, and a Anniversary '99 ?
    And how can one spot the difference ?

Anyone ?

Les Paul Forum Member

Anyone ?
    About $1000 US Dollars.......

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tspoon View Post
    About $1000 US Dollars.......
    Serious.......

Les Paul Forum Member

Seriously, two cases and hardback copy of BOTB book........

Technically, same guitar, but like the 2009 gold coa, all the 2009's were technically
    an anniversary........

I think the 99's had coa's and Murphy painted 100 of them.......

Some R9K Killer Tops that year.....

Frank or Mike could really nail down the differences.......

Some Plain Tops were also available.......
    Last edited by tspoon; 05-02-12 at 04:56 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Frank
    Frank, I think that is the rarest Historic out there, and the nicest.....

A grand trophy......

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tspoon View Post
    Frank or Mike could really nail down the differences.......
    Hope they'll chime inn.

ALL 1999 R9's were considered 40th Annv. guitars. They ALL came with the black case and when the warranty was sent in, Gibson then shipped the customer the brown reissue Lifton case which included the case candy. I sold many of these guitars in that year and never heard or saw one thing about 2 different models.

The 2002 R9's did have Burstbucker 2&3's and many had zebra coils. I removed the covers on a number of the '59's I had. There also were some different tuners on some of the R9's. I know that Ronn David from Vintage World bought reissue single line Kluson tuners and put them on many of his guitars that he sold. If I remember right, the pots may have been linear and they were all NOS pots that dated anywhere from the '60's to early '80's.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by markguitar View Post
    ALL 1999 R9's were considered 40th Annv. guitars.
    Just what I thought. Thanks Mark.