• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson new Custom LP

Ryan Givhan

I can understand some people disliking the maple board on the Les Paul. But yesterday I saw a video on youtube of a guy playing the hell out of a maple fingerboard les paul (chambered even) and I gottta tell you guys, it did not sound bad at all! That thing growled and roared in his hands like a wild beast, which made me reconsider my point of view... They may not follow the "ole recipee" of a custom les paul... but they sound pretty good indeed!
they may sound amazing. but they look like crap imo. they look like well, someone took a piece of wood and stuck it in the oven. doesnt look natural and sticks out like a sore thumb. especially on darker colored guitars. but thats just me, i have absolutely no problem if you like them.

Thunder Dump

they may sound amazing. but they look like crap imo. they look like well, someone took a piece of wood and stuck it in the oven. doesnt look natural and sticks out like a sore thumb. especially on darker colored guitars. but thats just me, i have absolutely no problem if you like them.

You don't think this looks natural and sticks out like a sore thumb? (And it looked like this out of the box--no dye/treatment done):

clcu-29.jpg

clcu-44.jpg

clcu-46.jpg

snag

One piece mahogany body is used in the Les Paul Specials and the 1960 Les Paul Custom RI - the one on the picture above and my avatar as well. From what I have read/heard, the original 57-60 Customs are all mahogany body, but they are made of 2 pieces glued together.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

There's my lady:

6444506051_89f2cba296.jpg
[/url]
Black Beauty3 por quarup2011, no Flickr[/IMG]

Black Beauty2 por quarup2011, no Flickr

Dude, is that your house or at a shop? What a great display, more pics of thy please! That custom is LOVELY.

Peter100

I have cherry sunburst LP custom from 2010 with two bindings, good guitar but i have still problems with the neck feeling (but the they have great pick ups), there for I like my LP reissue '59 neck more . But that is maybe a personal opinion.

marshall1987

Got the new big box catalog and Lo

Gibson customs are now maple caps, no binding on the rear, and have a GASP "baked Maple" fretboard for "snap"
I like traditional with ebony and binding on the rear and can really tell the difference with my mahogany top VS my standard with maple top

What the heck is "baked maple"? Something you eat? :spabout

Soup's Uncle

I just ordered a Classic Custom goldtop. I'm very excited. I've heard nothing but great things about these guitars. I do plan on swapping out the black guard, pickup rings, knobs out for some creme joints. I'll post pics when it arrives later this week.

Soup's Uncle

I used my money photoshopping skills (not so money) to see what the cream accessories would look like as opposed to the black. I think I definitely need to get the cream stuff. Looks better to me on a Goldtop. I don't like the black. It reminds me of the Bonamassa signature.

I also hope my fretboard is darker than that. If it's that color, I'll be dousing it in lemon oil.

What do you all think?
tumblr_m55d5gUykY1qi39t0o1_1280.jpg

Also, anyone know how to remove the washer where the pickup switch is?

LCP

I wish that was my house... lol That is indeed Rudy's at Soho... But the Black Beauty is now in my home! Those pics were taken then and there when I picked it up.

PeterLC

Hi all, my third post here (as of yet); found this thread and here's my -currently- only Gibson (my third). I've got myself an Antique Natural Classic Custom as well. It had several QC-flaws, but hey - it's a Gibson. I'd buy it for the smell alone!

Very resonant, it sounds like a decent acoustic unplugged. Less the volume of course. On full steam, it just sounds like a proper Les Paul, period. Those '57 Classics are smooth as silk. The fretboard is nice enough, ebony would almost look out of place on mine.

As you can see, I changed the black knobs for transparant ones and bought an official LPC trussrod-cover. Not to pretend it IS a "real" Custom, but it just looks better this way.

I am mainly a classical guitar player and the one in the middle I built myself, in 2001. I once owned 5 guitars and will probably end up with more than these three again!

Questions, please ask! Thanks for looking!

img1918au.jpg

img1939e.jpg

afbeelding001ut.jpg

afbeelding105.jpg

Soup's Uncle

^That thing is awesome. I was leaning toward that color or the ebony, but all they had was gold top and I've always wanted a gold top.

PeterLC

^That thing is awesome. I was leaning toward that color or the ebony, but all they had was gold top and I've always wanted a gold top.

Thanks! Goldtop is a great colour too, held one in my hands a week ago, and swapping the black for cream - well - you could even go for white PU-surrounds and pickguard (might want to browse eBay for that) because that would'nt clash with the snow-white binding of the top. Or keep the black bits, and swap the black speedknobs for gold bell-types. I hate the look of the black speedknobs on any Custom, except on the ebony one.

Show us pics when it's in!

BTW, that washer comes off by simply turning the knurled ring around the tip. Use any suitable clamping-tool and of course a rag to prevent scratches. Now, the switch will drop out but you can still grab its tip. Or else, remove the round cover on the back. Remove the washer and re-assemble, and make sure the switch can move precisely up and down; and is not repositioned slightly "off".

Last edited:

57Lefty

Gibson has way too many models of LP-again. Compounded by the fact that the names are too similar and the product is all over the web but not on the ground. I went to 2 GC's to feel the difference between a 2012 Std and Traditional neck. It did not go well. What guitar is that? - " Um, its a 2012 LP Std traditional custom classic"...I don't think so.

Trans-Am

You don't think this looks natural and sticks out like a sore thumb? (And it looked like this out of the box--no dye/treatment done):

clcu-29.jpg

clcu-44.jpg

clcu-46.jpg

Simply Stunning!!:bug That fretboard looks just like my 2K7 Ebony Custom after a time well spent cleaning. BB pics btw!:hank

IMG-20120608-00006.jpg

IMG-20120608-00003.jpg

IMG-20120608-00005.jpg

IMG-20120608-00004.jpg

IMG-20120609-00008.jpg

The fact that 2 new offering came out this year is very appalling!!

Maduro Rosewood is being used on another new model offering, Price? is still up your's.

" Richlite " resin material mixed in with other kinds of cheap shit just to fake the real original Ebony just makes me puke...My old man uses them on counter tops for crying out loud. Price? even more. (Richlite is an alternative to Corian and granite counter tops.)

(Richlite is a dense material made from partially recycled paper and phenolic resin. Phenolic resin is made of formeldahyde and phenol. Individually, these are potent chemicals, but create a harmless, inert substance when combined. The paper is soaked in phenolic resin, then molded and baked into net shape in a heated form or press)

Keep your early original non Maduro/Richlite Customs, they are the next one to go on top of the heap.

Shame on Gibson....who would pay good coin for something like that? My old Reverend electric will dance around your unbelievably priced axe.

Give us a break! ( No Rant and Rave meant here, just voicing out ).

Peace!!

Last edited: