• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson new Custom LP

jb315

Got the new big box catalog and Lo

Gibson customs are now maple caps, no binding on the rear, and have a GASP "baked Maple" fretboard for "snap"
I like traditional with ebony and binding on the rear and can really tell the difference with my mahogany top VS my standard with maple top

Trans-Am

Times a Changin'

It'll only make the pre 2010 Customs more likable.
You think?:rolleyes:

LCP

I'm glad I bought mine... every day I see a new change in material and I get happier to have the closest thing to the original I could get... one piece mahogany body, ebony fretboard, tortoise dots on the frame and mother of pearl blocks...

Hopefully it will change back to best quality sometime in the future... or we better hang on to the guitars we got...

donw35

Looks interesting, I would like to give it go and see how much hdifferent the playability is and sound. I own three LPC's, a 71 and two 74's and like the feel of the olders models.

Gibson has to keep evolving to meet the needs of new players and attract new customers so good for them.

jb315

I wonder if the wood choices are predicated upon current export restrictions????

Ryan Givhan

the regular les paul customs have been maple caps since the late 60's. its the reissue and the 50's customs that have either a mahogany cap (reissue) or a one pieced mahogany body (50's). if im wrong, someone please correct me.

the baked maple is something new, and the "no binding on the back" makes me think its the "custom classic" like mentioned before.

jb315

I have an 88 black custom I would swear had mahogany top as it sounds warmer than my maple cap burst, but I could be wrong Don't know enough about it obviously.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I think the guitar you are referring to is the "LP Custom Classic"...

That's what I was thinking...

If so, there are a few guys who have them and they look pretty nice, considering the price...

Haven't played one yet myself, but I'd like to...

D'Mule

Les Paul Custom Classic-$1,899
Nice.
LPCCTEBCH1-Glam-Shot.jpg

50th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul Custom-$5,999
Be still my heart...
68c9f13e-0889-46c6-ae7a-dc72f60b9d15.jpg

jb315

I have an 88 Custom with 3 pickups and all the bells and whistles and an ebony board and cannot see myself going another way, i guess i like old school

micgtr71

I just don't care for the look of the baked maple, especially with the block inlays on the custom. I played one on the sg and it was fine...I just don't like the look.

LCP

One piece mahogany body is used in the Les Paul Specials and the 1960 Les Paul Custom RI - the one on the picture above and my avatar as well. From what I have read/heard, the original 57-60 Customs are all mahogany body, but they are made of 2 pieces glued together.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

There's my lady:

6444506051_89f2cba296.jpg
[/url]
Black Beauty3 por quarup2011, no Flickr[/IMG]

Black Beauty2 por quarup2011, no Flickr

Last edited:

Edward

But what's the reason for even offering a "Custom Classic" at all? For me, the term "Custom" is all about the regular appointments of an LPC. Sounds like Gibson is again answering a question nobedy asked. Unless I'm missing something ...

FWIW, my "lowly" 06 LPC (maple cap and all ;) ) represents what an LPC should be. Nothing against change, but why name it what it is not. Ugh!

Edward

djem

But what's the reason for even offering a "Custom Classic" at all? For me, the term "Custom" is all about the regular appointments of an LPC. Sounds like Gibson is again answering a question nobedy asked. Unless I'm missing something ...

FWIW, my "lowly" 06 LPC (maple cap and all ;) ) represents what an LPC should be. Nothing against change, but why name it what it is not. Ugh!

Edward

The way I read the name is that it's a Les Paul Classic with some 'Custom' attributes.

Just another marketing strategy to offer, yet again, another Les Paul model.

Ryan Givhan

Edward
i would rock one of these in a heart beat, if it didnt have the maple board. that is a deal breaker for me. but the older ones with the yellowed binding looks pretty sweet, imo.

Edward

OK, I guess as a "classic" with appointments, I get it. I just don't dig the "custom" moniker when an LP "Custom" occupies a very specific and established spot in guitardom. IMHO, anyway :)

Edward

LCP

I can understand some people disliking the maple board on the Les Paul. But yesterday I saw a video on youtube of a guy playing the hell out of a maple fingerboard les paul (chambered even) and I gottta tell you guys, it did not sound bad at all! That thing growled and roared in his hands like a wild beast, which made me reconsider my point of view... They may not follow the "ole recipee" of a custom les paul... but they sound pretty good indeed!