• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Double Stacked Fretboard?

jalevinemd

Not sure what Gibson means by "double stacked", but your Avatar certainly does. :wow

slammintone

I don't know which I like less, baked and stained maple for fretboards or this double stacking rosewood/ebony scheme. But I wouldn't pay more than $60 for a guitar that had either. Just my .02.

slammintone

Actually, what Gibson should be doing on Historics is sell them with whatever scrap wood for a fretboard this year and deduct the price Historic Makeovers would charge for a new solid rosewood fretboard from the retail cost of the new Historics. Then at least you could get them fixed right without leaving an extra hole in yer wallet.

Greco

The whole thing gives me the creeps, along with baked maple and whatever other crap they have. Never buying a 2012 or later Gibson, ever. Putting glue joints where there is no logical or structural reason to do so is just bad, not to mention the historical accuracy thing.

Todd Louis

Not true. Talk to some dealers that know what's up. This was the line a few weeks ago, but not anymore.
I'll talk to to the guys I know.

I don't belive that for a second.

Gibson could be going to shit once again.... 1970's

cryptozoo

Word I'm hearing is new-production Historics will ship with double-stacked RW boards. I don't give a damn either way, because I never buy anything new.

Gold Tone

Will we know which...will they be secretive with information on the guitar in your hands?

Axel

Will we know which...will they be secretive with information on the guitar in your hands?

You mean you wouldn't be able to tell from the sound if the fretboard was made from two pieces of rosewood?!

Sorry.

I agree with everything said, but it would be far worse if the backs were made of two glued pieces of mahogany so the seam showed than this. In my opinion of course.

Gold Tone

You mean you wouldn't be able to tell from the sound if the fretboard was made from two pieces of rosewood?!

Sorry.

I can't hear or play guitars online...I don't have many to choose from locally (VERY few!)

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Yeah, and the North German RW is supposed to be superior quality, too. :jim

I find it very hard to believe that any form of rosewood is being grown in any part of Germany, much less northern Germany.
The only tropical forest I have seen in Germany is in the chocolate museum in Cologne. :ganz
However, Noth America has large areas of tropical forest and supposedly Brazillian rosewood was planted here decades ago, and is now being harvested. :hmm

RevPearly

I find it amusing that in an effort to conform to rules to limit destruction of rosewood forests by enforcing the Lacey act, the "law of unintended consequences" comes into play: it takes MORE wood to get the same thickness for the fretboard out of 2 pieces of rosewood laminated together than a single piece of wood.........kerf of the saw cut making two pieces and then the finishing/planing process on the extra 2 sides. But hey, when the wood is loaded on the boat and it is legal when it is unloaded here then that is all that counts.:rolleyes:

RUFFCUT

If it sounds good, plays good and looks good, I don't give a s**t if the fret board is double stacked or not, I'll buy it...

Last edited: