The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member bizzwriter's Avatar

Any love for '89-ish Bill Lawrence humbuckers?

I recently picked up this '89 ES-335 on fleabay, and although I haven't pulled the pickups yet, I'm pretty sure they're the Bill Lawrence HB-L and HB-R pickups with the circuit boards on the back. I haven't had a chance to crank up the guitar yet and put it through its paces to see if I like the tone or not. Just wondering if anyone out there particularly likes or dislikes these Bill Lawrence pickups. I have a couple of old Gibson Pat# pickups I can swap them for if necessary, but I would like to keep the guitar stock if possible.

So...???

Music is the BEST!

Re: Any love for '89-ish Bill Lawrence humbuckers?

I don't like them, at least to my ears.

P.S. Cool geetar!
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlub View Post
    I don't like them, at least to my ears.

P.S. Cool geetar!
    Thanks, Mike! Yeah -- they seemed a little harsh to me during my low-volume test a couple days ago. Definitely need to crank them up and see what happens.
    Music is the BEST!

Les Paul Forum Member Ryan Givhan's Avatar

i am digging that guitar!

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

I had an `89 SG `61 reissue with those pickups in it.. Those came out in a couple of days. Terrible sounding pickups!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Givhan View Post
    i am digging that guitar!
    Thanks, Ryan -- I've been on a white guitar jag ever since I picked up this '63 SG Jr. a couple years ago (the original tailpiece is back on now). White SG, white Tele, and now a white ES-335. If I can find an old white Firebird I, I think my life will be complete. Okay, maybe not.

Music is the BEST!

Quote Originally Posted by bizzwriter View Post
    Thanks, Ryan -- I've been on a white guitar jag ever since I picked up this '63 SG Jr. a couple years ago (the original tailpiece is back on now). White SG, white Tele, and now a white ES-335. If I can find an old white Firebird I, I think my life will be complete. Okay, maybe not.

Another very cool geetar!
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Patent numbers all the way! Would you have to swap out the polepieces so they match the gold? Or would that interfere with the "mojo" of the pickup? I'd say go all nickel on that baby! Soomethin' about aged nickel looks so good on white...JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Ford View Post
    Patent numbers all the way! Would you have to swap out the polepieces so they match the gold? Or would that interfere with the "mojo" of the pickup? I'd say go all nickel on that baby! Soomethin' about aged nickel looks so good on white...JMHO.
    Good point! One of the pat # pickups has an unsoldered gold cover with gold polepieces and a short lead. The other has a soldered chrome cover and a long lead. Geez.
    Music is the BEST!

Les Paul Forum Member

I've owned that exact model (maybe THAT guitar, who knows?),,I remember the pups as strong and loud, good rock guitar, closer to modern 'buckers, not vintage sounding...

Les Paul Forum Member

They're pretty versitile. The only time I run them wide open is those few moments when you need to be on top. They cover a lot of ground-but apparently they're not for everyone...

Les Paul Forum Member

Back in '90 I bought an '89 "Prehistoric" '59 RI that had those. They weren't bad, but I replaced them with '57 Classics as soon as they were released by Gibson in the early 90s. Liked those a lot better in that particular guitar.

Les Paul Forum Member

They are my favorite Gibson pickups. Very creamy, rich, thick and fat. The neck HB-R is my favorite Gibson neck pickup. I like the bridge HB-L but have recently replaced mine with Rio Grande BBQ buckers which are my all time favorite bridge humbucker.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzwriter View Post
    I recently picked up this '89 ES-335 on fleabay, and although I haven't pulled the pickups yet, I'm pretty sure they're the Bill Lawrence HB-L and HB-R pickups with the circuit boards on the back. I haven't had a chance to crank up the guitar yet and put it through its paces to see if I like the tone or not. Just wondering if anyone out there particularly likes or dislikes these Bill Lawrence pickups. I have a couple of old Gibson Pat# pickups I can swap them for if necessary, but I would like to keep the guitar stock if possible.

So...???

Les Paul Forum Member

I think the Lawrence circuitbacks sound ok, but nothing special. I don't think they sound all that close to PAFs.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

Les Paul Forum Member

Just had a full band practice yesterday and both my LP Standard and SG Special both sounded outstanding. Both have the Bill Lawrence HB-L and HB-R. Keep in mind, pickups are such a small piece of the puzzle, my Gibsons always sound like themselves regardless of pickups. But I will say that these are my current favorite Gibson pickups. On a side note, I hate PAF pickups, can't really stand them. I much prefer hotter pickups that use thinner wire. I am a huge fan of ceramic magnets, such as my PRS Dragon pickups, and that is for all style of music.