• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best choice for Les Paul Studio model years

DANELECTRO

I sold my 1990 about ten years ago in order to help fund a sunburst Classic. The Classic was nice, but I still regret selling the Studio. Mine had the Chromite (balsa) inserts and it weighed 8.0 lbs even.. Not much of a looker, but it had a great neck profile and great tone.

studio6.jpg

zoltan

Why is it that the OP asked about LP Studios made between 90 and 93 and people here are still pushing the ninety's and 2000's models? He obviously wants an honest answer regarding those years.

As for MY answer. I have a 92 Studio Lite. The Studio Lite series was made during those years. All of the 'Lites' came with ebony fretboards, not like other years where only white ones did. Yes, the Lites have a 'balsa' center (officially called chromyte) but it does not sacrifice tone or sustain. I have to say, my 92 Lite is one of the most resonant, sustaining LP's I have ever played. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I would buy more if I was in the position to have extra cash lying around.

As for which year to get?? You would have to try different ones because like it was said there are bum ones in each year but overall I would go for a 92 or 93. I have heard that they are pretty much the sought after years.

Thanks, and thanks everybody. It seems that any of those year models are quite good.

BTW, I just realized the following:

Custom Historic was introduced in 1992.
Sentinel year is 1994.

Do you think they could have used a nicer (?) wood and material to build a Studio in those years ?

Last edited:

Gilbie40

I have a 1990 Les Paul studio. It is solid. Great sound and it isn't chambered. Great sound. Plays as good as a 1977 custom I have.

Progrocker111

I always liked early 90s Studios with ebony fingerboard. Well made and great sounding LPs.

renderit

When were the GEM's? I always liked those. A lot. As in I would buy one now if they were out.

tommersjay

When were the GEM's? I always liked those. A lot. As in I would buy one now if they were out.

The GEM series should have started in 94. The real winner imo is the 93 studio with an ebony fretboard and p90's. I passed on one and have been kicking myself in the ass since.

HSTR

Take it from your ears not certain years or type of guitar.