• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Broken Headstock repair - as good as new?

martie6621

Never did research on this before - if a headsdtock repair is done right, can the guitar live a normal healthy life - meaning is the playability impaired? I have heard some say that they can be as good or stronger than new?

Second question - on a vintage piece (early 60s 335) what does a solid repair to a headstock reduced the value by? Is it 50% assuming all else is equal>

Thanks

joemags54

Short answer is yes on a proper repair.
With respect to the value of a guitar , others will have to chime in. My impression is it shouldn't hurt the value too much, provided the repair was done well. Are you thinking of buying or selling?

Bluefinger

If it's done by a pro, the only thing you have to worry about is resale value. It's bad if you have one you are intending to sell but if you are in the market for a player and not a collector's item the a headstock repair might be your ticket to an otherwise unaffordable guitar.

martie6621

I have a line on a 63 335 with what looks to be solid neck repair done many years ago. It plays great and appears no worse for wear. I can get it for half of what a non repaired one would be. As a player it is 100 per cent. I know it will catch up to me if I sell it but I am tempted as it's just a fine player. The break is there for sure but so is the tone. On the fence but leaning

TomGuitar

Proper headstock repairs have no effect on the playability, tone, or longevity of a guitar.

They do have a roughly 50% hit on the price. Not talking should or shouldn't. But that's what the market for these things has taught me.

Jumping@Shadows

I've had 4 early 60s ES guitars with headstock repairs- '61/'62'/'63 335's and a '64 345 and all the repairs did were make them affordable, and not affect the tone in anyway that i could detect. A '63 335 is one of the most desirable guitars out there and you will have no trouble at all selling it on at what you paid or at a small profit, as long as you pay the 'right' money, plus the enjoyment you'll get from it will be profound- all of mine were outstanding guitars..

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
No two breaks are alike, and a severely broken off headstock is different than the fairly typical neck crack under the nut.
In most cases they can be restored to a solid joint with no real affect on playing and stability. But anytime the headstock comes all the way off, it's a much more difficult repair, and those situations still vary a lot.
Look it over closely. :)

Dave G

As already stated by others, a GOOD repair will allow a guitar to live a normal healthy life.
Remember, most Gibsons necks are glued in and most remain solid for a VERY long time.

thunderkyss

I'm not trying to sell my '98 LP Standard, but every time I bring it out, I get a lot of interest, until I tell them about the broken neck. Usually got to get the light just right for them to see it.

But a lot of that interest quickly evaporates, whether they see it or not.

karl1

Funny that this comes up- just got- and returned- :wah :wah a LP Jr.- 2001- that had a pro-job- so- called- headstock repair - that showed up- thanks most likely - to the men in BROWN- with a re-break in the same spot- the guy I got it from was very understanding and will refund my $- this is the first time I have had this- I have 3 other Gibsons with this repair and they are all solid- I come to find out that this guitar had to have the 1st repair re-done- so it will need it's 3rd repair-

emmadet

I had a '63 335 when I was a teenager. It was my first really seriously wonderful guitar. It had been lennonized to the bare wood, all the cherry was stripped off. A friend of mine played it drunk, dropped it, and WHACK the whole headstock came off. I had it repaired with superglue. A couple of months after that I started loving it again. Then I got the bright idea to have it refinished. It came back with 50+ coats of black. That killed it. Of course I still miss it. Most likely you can just tip over your fence and grab it