• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Historic Production numbers?

CoolJoMark

wow thanks for all the great info about the numbers..as well as the definitions of trimester and semester... what a bonus

wooderson

How many did Gibson make? As many as Gibson could sell at their price points at the time.

RUFFCUT

I have a question. If I'm not mistaken (and I may be), Gibson's numbering system when the originals were produced was inclusive of all guitars produced. Not just Les Pauls or any single model of Les Paul. For example, no. 9 1980 was obviously not the 1980th Burst produced that year but it was the 1980th instrument produced overall that year. If this is right, does it still apply? Would no. 9 1980 produced in 2011 be the 980th overall instrument produced in the custom shop this particular year or the 980th R9? Could someone in the know clear this up?...:hmm

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
I have a question. If I'm not mistaken (and I may be), Gibson's numbering system when the originals were produced was inclusive of all guitars produced. Not just Les Pauls or any single model of Les Paul. For example, no. 9 1980 was obviously not the 1980th Burst produced that year but it was the 1980th instrument produced overall that year. If this is right, does it still apply? Would no. 9 1980 produced in 2011 be the 980th overall instrument produced in the custom shop this particular year or the 980th R9? Could someone in the know clear this up?...:hmm

No, that original system is not used for the reissues. Each reissue year model has it's own set of numbers. So this year you have R9 serial number "9 1250" but also have R8 serial number "8 1250".

Zoomer

I am thinking the production totals for the R 8's might have shot up in 1998 -- I have a 1998 Black R8 serial number 88734

doodman

No, that original system is not used for the reissues. Each reissue year model has it's own set of numbers. So this year you have R9 serial number "9 1250" but also have R8 serial number "8 1250".

With your example in mind, does that mean that we (or Gibson, I suppose) can guarantee that there were 1249 guitars made that year before each of these examples? Do we know that they started with "9 0001" and "8 0001?" And beyond that- do we know if they did or did not skip any numbers?

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
With your example in mind, does that mean that we (or Gibson, I suppose) can guarantee that there were 1249 guitars made that year before each of these examples? Do we know that they started with "9 0001" and "8 0001?" And beyond that- do we know if they did or did not skip any numbers?

1249 guitars? The serial numbers I used would be the 250th guitar made. But yes, as far as I know they go from 001 to whatever the ending number is in sequence. Sometimes for special runs they will reserve a group of serial numbers so the run is sequential. This was done for the 50th Annv. guitars. But the ending serial number for the year still represents the total number of guitars made for that model as far as I know.

doodman

1249 guitars? The serial numbers I used would be the 250th guitar made. But yes, as far as I know they go from 001 to whatever the ending number is in sequence. Sometimes for special runs they will reserve a group of serial numbers so the run is sequential. This was done for the 50th Annv. guitars. But the ending serial number for the year still represents the total number of guitars made for that model as far as I know.

OOPS! Sorry, I typed too fast. I was anxious to go look at the "story" off of the Gibson site I referenced a few posts back about there being only 500 made in 2001. There is a VERY important word in that story that I didn't remember-

"Only 500 '59 Reissue guitars AVAILABLE in the U.S. in 2001."

Big difference. Mine is 9 1388, for the record. I'll retype the thing if anyone wants to see it. Coincidentally, I bought it 10 years ago last Thursday (maybe Wednesday.....damn. Gotta do some diggin' and find that date!).

RUFFCUT

Thanks...

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
This is interesting, but in 2010 I ordered a specific serial number, and this was not my impression. But you are the expert here.

I guess the number you wanted in 2010 hadn't been used yet so you were able to get it.