• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best P90 Pickups Currently on Market?

Wayne Alexander

I had a set of TV Jones P-90s in a guitar once, they were spectacular. Live at Leeds is the tonal reference.

frazettafan

If I were going to go with one of the OP's choices it would Fralins.

Hey Kerry, why particularly do you like the Fralins? And would you recommend any other makers outside the OP's original list of choices? I'm trying to decide between a Fralin dogear and maybe a Shed "Mutz'sNutz" right now.

johnny73

I'm thinking of getting one of these. Do you know - does he do the single Dog-ear version or just the soap-bar?

I have the TV Jones P90s in a Flying V. They sound awesome. They only sell them in soapbars though.

frazettafan

Thanks Johnny, I thought that was the case - the '64 SG I mentioned had some kind of mounting ring to accommodate the pickup.

TM1

Thro-bak!!!

been there and back:dude:

+1!! I tried them all pretty much(except diMarrzio which I never like anything they made..) and to my ears the ThroBak's are the real deal! Made exactly the same way and with the same materials as the originals were made and wound on the exact same make of machines.

renderit

Thrōbak for sure. I put his Specials in my Collings to replace the Lollars. Awesome! Gave it total balls!

Don

I recently put a Tyson Tone Dogear '57 Wraptail in my '64 Epiphone Olympic and it sounds pretty incredible.

Zentar

I've used three P90 brands: Gibson, Epiphone and Kent Armstrong.
For the money you can't beat the KAs.
The Gibdson P90s are what everybody else is copying. Very nice R&R pups. They cost a bit more than KA but both KA and Gibson P90s are impressive. The KA P90s are available in chrome dogear style which is hard to find.
I did not like the Epi P90.

EFLOW

Lindy Fralin P90 with 10% underwound neck pickup is an incredible upgrade​

image_26.jpg

jhmp

I'd like to try some P-90's from Dan Dunham, and his guitars for that matter!

toxpert

Thrōbak for sure. I put his Specials in my Collings to replace the Lollars. Awesome! Gave it total balls!

Ditto for Throbak

I had Jon wind a P90 for my '58 Junior. It ranges from bell-like clear to a snarling bad dog!
Drop Jon a note and start the dialogue for what you want.

renderit

Ditto for Throbak

I had Jon wind a P90 for my '58 Junior. It ranges from bell-like clear to a snarling bad dog!
Drop Jon a note and start the dialogue for what you want.

He even wound mine so they would have the number of winds for my anniversary! That way I could get it past my wife and it was pretty close to his usual ones. Killer set!

marshall1987

If there ever was a dedicated P-90 aficionado pickup winder, it has to be Jason Lollar. It's his stock and trade. :dude:

Mairena Red

Lollar, Fralin, SD, DiM, Lundgren, Bare Knuckle, Gibson or what?

DC (KΩ)/Inductance charts can’t be found on most websites. Nor have I been able to find tech info on the differences between the soapbars used on the Goldtops and the dogears used on the LP Jr’s. The dogears appears to be more aggressive and dirty. Overwound compared to the soapbar?

I’m looking for a p-u close to the dogear of the 50’s, as a replacement for the modern dogear on the LP Jr VOS which I find rather lame and unlively.

Shopping for a vintage dogear, is out of reach right now. Hopefully, an aftermarket dogear and perhaps upgraded electronics, will do the trick.

But what should I be looking for, as the websites leaves poor info? And where can I find more info (tech specifications, not emotional assumptions) on the differences between the soapbars and the dogears of the 50’s?

I have a 2010 Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top and was thinking of upgrading the pots and pickups. Reading through all the comments here the most popular choices seem to be Lindy Fralin or Lollar. Are there any head-to-head demos out there? Any advice on pots and caps? Somebody mentioned RS Electronics but are they the only option?

Kutt

I'll throw Curtis Novak pickups into the mix. I put his P90s into a Fender Strat-o-sonic and another set into a Fender Jazzmaster years ago. I love 'em. I think most if not all of the brands mentioned here are excellent in the end. It's hard to decide.