• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jimmy Page Les Paul

CLAYPOOL

Congratulations on a fabulous deal! I'm sure you'll love it, but if you find you don't like it give me a shout- :jim

dfs69

lol!! My lead player says I need to go to confession for buying it that cheap, but thats what he wanted for it! But...10 hours of cleaning and scrubbing on it!! Lots of naptha/spit and elbow grease. Its at my techs house now getting set up, as soon as its back Ill go to that site and post pics. Thank you for your help Steve...(you must be a teacher with that kind of patience, and the step by step directions!). Hopefully have it back this weekend, well see.

dfs69

lol! Ill keep you in mind Strat God...but, do Strat Gods...play Les Pauls?! Isnt that sacrilegious?!?

dfs69

Ok, lets try to post a few pics from my cell phone. I'll post more detailed pics when I get it back from my tech. Hope these teasers will work for now.
downsized_0504112255.jpg

dfs69

Ive been looking on line and havent seen one with this color? Are they all way different? or just a few color schemes on them? Mine seems more butterscotch/honeyburst combination? Hope you like the few I have. I will post more after its back with a much better camera.

Stevedenver

well actually im a G(&D(*&ed lawyer!

and i havent seen that finish -very cool
there no doubt its page indeed -at least from the gold pups screws and other appointments i recognize
fingerboard looks like mine too
what a nice looking one too-interesting top

youll have to give us your impressions on the pups -especially thru your twin-should be very revealing

i have had great luck with two products for shingin stuff up-
the first is called Novus fine plastic polish-it will take some elbow grease but will shine things up

and if youre really motivated-there a product called Dry Wash and Guard-
its a miracle product-super fine pumice suspende in liquid-looks like greenish Comet cleaner water-will shine things like new-really-and leave things like hand pin striping -very very gentle

used for concours cars-but its amazing on nitro and plastics -and its pricey -just in case you want that sucker to be glossy new-youve gotten such an amazing price you should buy yourself something-perhaps a new car?

btw if this is your first LP youll need to turn that stop bar around to have any success ...........................LOL!

dfs69

I havent seen this finish either?! I like it, but its growing on me...so Im liking it more and more. I had a 2000 Classic Plus that got stolen a year ago, so this falling into my lap (especially at this price!!!) has been great! The classic had the same pickup combo and I loved it for hard rock/metal, but I play in a classic rock/new country (with a little blues thrown in) band now so I had to lower the pickups quite a bit to get the sound I wanted. My avatar pic is my main now, so Ill keep it for the country/blues songs, but if this JP sounds and plays great, itll be my main for rock.

Ive had a '95 Studio and a '76 Standard besides the classic and now the JP, so I know how the stop bar goes!!! But, thank you for your concern!! lol!! But...I usually wrap the stop tail so I can screw it all the way down...but, for the sake of the pics...it wouldnt stay on if it wasnt flipped!

dfs69

I know its been awhile since I posted on this thread, but I got the JP back and finally got a couple extra pics. Feels good and sounds good (still getting my rig tweeked in with it), but I have a large street dance tomorrow night so I'll post pics of it in action sometime on sunday, but for now...
672011JPLP003.jpg

dfs69

Thank you!! Im really starting to dig it. It has a pickgaurd now, so Im thinking it looks a hell of allot better!!

dfs69

Thanks Steve. Still needs more buffing, but june/july are very busy months so I'll have to wait to take the hardware off and buff the hell out of it. I should get my gig pics from sat back tomorrow and I can post them. Got some great shots w/ my 335, and some good ones w/ the JP. Hopefully tomorrow I can have them posted.

LedHed

Glad to help - $800 - that's a killer deal!! Congrats and post the pics when you can. Rock On !!
Hey DFS-

First of all - CONGRATS!! $800 for that guitar is "is a steal", IMO, given its original cost.

To further illustrate what a great deal you got on this guitar, when it was offered for sale at retail shops in the late 90's, it was one of the most expensive LP's that Gibson offered, especially for a non Custom Shop guitar... They blamed the price on the "exotic electronics"...

For example, the local Guitar Center (I know, I know.....) at the time had one on the wall that was priced at $4300 new.....

I got one of the 90's JPLP's at the time, but replaced all the gold hardware and pickups with nickel hardware, and put in covered Gibson Classic 57's modified by 4 conductor wiring. Lastly, I replaced the Gold Keystone tips, with some Grover Gold kidney bean knobs, like Mr Page has one his Number One.

The pickup variations (21 of them) are pretty comprehensive and I used the wiring diagram to create a 4 push/pull JP wired version of a 58 Historic "JPLP" that Tom Murphy helped me with back in the 90's

I love my Historic Collection 58 with the 4 Push Pull pot wiring scheme - pretty much does everything you could want in an electric....

Enjoy that JPLP!!