The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded?

Is such a guitar still being produced? I didn't see it on the Gibson website when I took a quick look, yet another thread I saw here said they only started making them in 2005. Was it just a short run, then?

Anyways, reviews of the Faded Std seem to be quite positive. Again, I've seen one on craigslist with a decent looking flame top asking for $1250. Sounded reasonable to me, but I thought I'd check here before I spring on anything. Not to mention that the guy is over 50mi from me.

Thoughts?

Les Paul Forum Member bigtomrodney's Avatar

Re: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded?

Yeah they were discontinued. Perhaps a little bit too much bang for buck, their controversial clambering and thin finish ended up making them sound great. Easy on the shoulder too! I think my number one guitar would be Historic or vintage but I'd happily have one of these in the collection.

bigsby'd

Last edited by bigsby'd; 07-17-14 at 07:54 AM.

I got one of the last HCS from Larry, its swissed not chambered,would like to get one of the chambereds someday.1250 sounds reasonable to me! Go for it!

Les Paul Forum Member ch willie's Avatar

I"ve had mine since 2007, and I will never part with it. It's a real Standard, a great guitar. $1250 is a steal.

50 miles is not very far to check out a guitar. Hell I drive 125 miles 5 days a week just to get to work.

That's a good price for a fine sounding instrument. The finish on my Faded left a lot to be desired but awesome tone.
    Desire - Dedication - Determination

Some folks added a couple of coats of laquer to the finish and have ended up with stunning tops. I friend at work had one and it was really nice, great sound...
    You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up!

www.cutters-law.co.uk

I've been a happy Faded owner since 2008 and it's a favorite, right up there with my vintage pieces.

$1250 is a really good price, if it's stock and has a nice top. eBay prices range from $1500-$1850, which is probably $300 more than street.

A great guitar and value @ $1250. Still a great guitar and value for $1500, but I wouldn't pay any more than that.

I love mine. Some cleaner and polish and it looks really nice. I have a flametop R8 but people always comment on how nice the faded looks.

It has a really bright tone amplified, and a great acoustic resonance unplugged.

Yours looks great, Spoonman. I've put the virtuoso polish to mine, but I haven't done it well enough to get the sheen that you have. How did you do that?

Les Paul Forum Member

A friend of mine has an R7 and a Standard Faded from 2008 and mostly plays his faded. I have tried it and it feels great, very resonant and full sounding, lots of beefy tone, the faded neck feels killer! It is very light and easy on the back! Impressed. He installed Duncans.

Got mine in 2006 and sold it 2009 to get a historic. Still, it was a great guitar..

Les Paul Forum Member Leña_Costoso's Avatar

Sorry... at a buds house today, don't have a picture to post online, but....

My LP Std. (faded) was one of the first out of Nashville. Escaped the factory with the wrong pickups! As was told to me by a former (to be un-named) Gibby employee: "Check your pickups. We did a photoshoot for the faded with Tak Matsumoto pickups in it, since the reverse coil color burstbucker pros hadn't been delivered to us. We screwed up and built about 200 with the Tak Matsumotos by mistake, and about 130 left the factory with the wrong pickups"

As luck would have it - I got one, from Elderly (before they were non-Gibson dealer). Pulled the pickups and they're BB-Tak #1 and BB-Tak #2 marked on the little sticker. Neat. Swiss cheeze chambers. BB-Tak is basically a Burstbucker #1 and #2 with wax potting, but they sound great. Very light when compared to the BB-Pro's that come in the regular and faded Std model. Also did a nitro clear over the faded top. Came out great. I got told that Hank Williams Jr requested several fadeds with gloss tops, which were built for him. Neat factoids.

Les Paul Forum Member

My only LP currently is an '06 Standard Faded. It doesn't get as much play time as my SGs and every once in a while I consider "upgrading" -- right until I plug it in and remember how much I love it.

$1250 if it's in great condition and you like the top sounds like a great deal -- well worth the 50 mile drive -- even more so if the seller is willing to meet you half way!

Here's mine:

Les Paul Forum Member

Sounds like the Standard Fadeds are a great deal but hard to find and I prefer to play before I buy. Since only a small number of fadeds were made, maybe most were good???

I also went and tried some Historics today (LPs) and wasn't that impressed over Standard and Traditional LPs.

LCPG#103 on the right and my '02 Standard on the left.

The faded has such a nice creamy tone through the BJ.

Les Paul Forum Member

I have an 05 ...love it!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, the 05 and many 06s were swiss-cheesed weight relieved, but I remember reading by end of 06 and definitely into 07 they were chambered. Was 07 not the last year?

Edward

Les Paul Forum Member Nihon Jim's Avatar

My '05 Faded is my #1. Great guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I have an 05 ...love it!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, the 05 and many 06s were swiss-cheesed weight relieved, but I remember reading by end of 06 and definitely into 07 they were chambered. Was 07 not the last year?

Edward
    The Standard Faded was on Gibson's price sheet from 2005-2008.

Although not on the dealer list some 2009's were made.

The body was weight relieved until sometime in mid '06, when replaced with chambering. Gibson had the '09 spec's reverting back to weight relief, but...
    Larry Corsa (CV guitars) was able to procure several 09's for the PG mods. He was convinced that at least some of the 09's were in fact chambered and not weight relieved.

50's & 60's profile necks were both available from '05-'07. '08 was available only with 50's profile.

Hope it helps.

Les Paul Forum Member

Nice specifics!

Edward

Mine is a 2005, not chambered (sonar is right). Mine has a 60s neck. Geez, I love it.

Strange. I can read the words on the books normally, but somehow the guitar is backwards . . . . .

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I"ve had mine since 2007, and I will never part with it. It's a real Standard, a great guitar. $1250 is a steal.
    Some folks this side of the pond (UK) would say £1250 is a steal

Quote Originally Posted by dknight16 View Post
    Strange. I can read the words on the books normally, but somehow the guitar is backwards . . . . .
    That's because I have backward hands.

$1250 is very reasonable right now assuming it is in good shape. I sold mine this week for $1575...and it was the chambered 50's neck...and clownburst (actually luckily it was a very pretty orange...not the red/yellow ugly ones).

2007. Great sound. 7lbs. 12oz.

Quote Originally Posted by sonar View Post
    The Standard Faded was on Gibson's price sheet from 2005-2008.

Although not on the dealer list some 2009's were made.

The body was weight relieved until sometime in mid '06, when replaced with chambering. Gibson had the '09 spec's reverting back to weight relief, but...
    Larry Corsa (CV guitars) was able to procure several 09's for the PG mods. He was convinced that at least some of the 09's were in fact chambered and not weight relieved.

50's & 60's profile necks were both available from '05-'07. '08 was available only with 50's profile.

Hope it helps.
    Question: were these 50's and 60's neck profiles similar to those being produced today?
    Thanks.

Chambering in '06 and before Faded's.

Chambering in '07 Faded's.

Cloud 9.

WTF

Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post
    Question: were these 50's and 60's neck profiles similar to those being produced today?
    Thanks.
    Gibson neck profiles are all over the place, with the 60's varying more than 50's. So I guess similar in regards to literature, but even two 60's (or 50's) necks made on the same day can be noticeably different.

ok, thanks. I'm looking for a 60's so that's good to know...

Hi guys,
    I'm new here but have always used this site for Les Paul info..
    Just bought my first Gibson (LP Standard Faded Honetburst) and I'm thrilled with it. It has the 50's neck which I was going to try and avoid in my hunt for my first Gibson, but when I actually played it I fell in love. It's not the enormous fatty that I had pictured it to be....
    If you typically like a slim neck don't let the 50's style scare you away!
    I have to mention that I bought this guitar for $900 (9.5/10 condition IMO) from a guy who bought it brand new on an impulse, and doesn't even play guitar! Serial #s checked out so I snapped it up!
    The top has some very gnarly figuring and the perfectionists who only love a symetrical top will probably call it ugly, but I LOVE it and think the strange pattern makes it look kind of aged and unique...
    I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how...
    Obviously they're all a gang of idiots. But, you know, live and let live... - David Gilmour

Quote Originally Posted by jerns View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm new here but have always used this site for Les Paul info..
    Just bought my first Gibson (LP Standard Faded Honetburst) and I'm thrilled with it. It has the 50's neck which I was going to try and avoid in my hunt for my first Gibson, but when I actually played it I fell in love. It's not the enormous fatty that I had pictured it to be....
    If you typically like a slim neck don't let the 50's style scare you away!
    I have to mention that I bought this guitar for $900 (9.5/10 condition IMO) from a guy who bought it brand new on an impulse, and doesn't even play guitar! Serial #s checked out so I snapped it up!
    The top has some very gnarly figuring and the perfectionists who only love a symetrical top will probably call it ugly, but I LOVE it and think the strange pattern makes it look kind of aged and unique...
    I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how...
    Welcome!

Thanks sonar! Happy to be here with all you knowledgeable guitar wizards...
    Obviously they're all a gang of idiots. But, you know, live and let live... - David Gilmour

Great series!

Beautiful top on that one! Did you replace the neck pup or just add the cover?
    Now I have to ask the ultimate noob question... How do I post pics? It's asking for a URL so do I have to upload to a third party like photobucket first? No way to upload right off my hard drive?

Sorry in advance, take it easy on me I'm new here...