• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Glenn Frey's guitar

JJ Blair

if i was gibson i'd have already made about a million glen frey les pauls and sold em for 2 grand each .. but if the word ever got out it wasn't even a gibson it would make gibson look silly to have a guy like glen still playin a jap copy instead of the real thing after all these years ..

You mean like all those Slash model Les Pauls based on the original which was a fake Gibson?

I don't think that's what kept them from doing it.

Great info, though. Thanks for the update.

Last edited:

dragonfire

I'm pretty sure that Glenn, nor Jackson for that matter gives a rats ass about the origins of the guitar. . . .the just play 'em!

Only us freaks on the forums seem to remotely care about this minutiae!

I'm sure it's special to Glenn because he got it from his friend JB and him and JD Souther used to do lines off of it!!

Doc Sausage

"I'm sure it's special to Glenn because he got it from his friend JB and him and JD Souther used to do lines off of it!!

Har! There's probably a lot of truth to that statement!

albacorky

all probably true .. cept for the gibson not makin a glen frey model .. i don't understand why they don't ?? there's a lotta money on the table and they're just leavin it there .. i mean come on dickenbacker made a glen frey model and i think glen played it for all of 6 minutes .. how much more mileage would gibson get outta a glen frey lester ?? i'm sure glen would do it if he did the dickenbacker which he didn't play anyway .. maybe if we all sent gibson a bunch of emails askin em when are they gonna have them glen frey lesters hit the street they might say heeeeeeeeey .. we outta make some of these suckers .. why didn't we think of this before ?? gibson can't be that stooopid not to do it ..

MikeSlub

Administrator
I vote for a '50s Junior with an added neck pup, ABR/TOM, and toggle.

800px-Glenn_Frey.jpg

+1

Triburst

I agree, too, Mike. It's not the first one I've seen, either.

I remember a "Junior conversion" being posted on the "eBay" thread a couple of years ago that had humbuckers and binding (and possibly a maple cap, if I remember correctly).

albacorky

now here we go .. i just found this .. a roy buchanan les paul .. i never knew they gave him a les paul model .. and this is from 1971 .. not sayin its wrong but who here knew that roy played a les paul ?? all i've ever seen him with was a tele .. always a tele .. don't get me wrong i like it .. if i had 15 grand just layin around i'd be callin cowtown guitars right now .. ( what can i say i'm a sucker for a lester with p90's ) and this one is a beauty .. but roy gettin a lester before glen ?? really .. i mean really ??

http://cowtownguitars.com/iframe/page16/files/stacks_image_46.jpg

EvLectric

now here we go .. i just found this .. a roy buchanan les paul .. i never knew they gave him a les paul model .. and this is from 1971 .. not sayin its wrong but who here knew that roy played a les paul ?? all i've ever seen him with was a tele .. always a tele .. don't get me wrong i like it .. if i had 15 grand just layin around i'd be callin cowtown guitars right now .. ( what can i say i'm a sucker for a lester with p90's ) and this one is a beauty .. but roy gettin a lester before glen ?? really .. i mean really ??

http://cowtownguitars.com/iframe/page16/files/stacks_image_46.jpg

Roy had a Lester (a black custom) on the cover of one of his later albums, "When a guitar plays the blues", iirc. He did an interview saying he could do anything on it that he could do on a tele.
I cant read that paper in that pic, but i think thats literally Roy's guitar, not a signature model.

mbowen

Made a few Black Jr's never saw an original Black Special from the 50's but i bet there is one out there.M.B.

Last edited:

garywright

Roy had a Lester (a black custom) on the cover of one of his later albums, "When a guitar plays the blues", iirc. He did an interview saying he could do anything on it that he could do on a tele.
I cant read that paper in that pic, but i think thats literally Roy's guitar, not a signature model.

fwiw, there was a guy who dealt guitars outta his house in Baltimore in the mid-70s early 80s that told me years ago that he had gotten a call from Roy saying he wanted a les Paul ..no model mention..just a les Paul guitar :) ...the guy ( Paul Marsheck ) said he did and come on over ..he described Roy's arrival being in a beat up old station wagon with kids and wife in tow ...said he sold him a Paul and he was on his was back to DC :jim

Black58

Going by the "History Of The Eagles" info, it seems to me, a whole "Fuck 'em, keep 'em guessing",
sourpuss game; Across the board.

.. btw, I'm predicting from this photo, that in 5-10 years (if he's still alive),
that his face and head will actually become a potato, instead of just looking like one!

Big Al

It is a modified Jr. He talked at length about it in a Guitar Magazine ages ago. He also mentions his Deluxe Amp with a 12" Vox Blue Alnico spkr. IIRC he claimed both as his most precious gear.

I don't understand the confusion. No neck binding, dog ear P90 and gold not pearl logo and two knobs equals Jr.

Flogger

Glen Frey has played that black guitar publicly since at least 1974.

I was talking about the 4 knob, flat topped sunburst guitar, you can see the edge of humbucker routes peeking out under the dogears.

Flogger

Her was also pictured on an anthology cover with a sunburst Les Paul Pro with P90s.

Prot63

Hi guys! If you take a look at the cover of Frey's work "No fun aloud", there's the axe we're talking about! And if you look at the headstock there's no Gibson mother of pearl logo... Maybe it's a very special axe made with assembled original and not original parts... and if you look at the other pick it seems those pickups are quite different...one (P90), the other (at the bridge) it seems something else...:hmm:2zone
0_0_productGfx_d965c2c57d336c3431b30dc74de67581.jpg

glennacl.jpg

Kris Ford

Hi guys! If you take a look at the cover of Frey's work "No fun aloud", there's the axe we're talking about! And if you look at the headstock there's no Gibson mother of pearl logo... Maybe it's a very special axe made with assembled original and not original parts... and if you look at the other pick it seems those pickups are quite different...one (P90), the other (at the bridge) it seems something else...:hmm:2zone
0_0_productGfx_d965c2c57d336c3431b30dc74de67581.jpg

glennacl.jpg

Yep, the Gibson DECAL (which is correct for a Junior) was painted over, and they're CLEARLY two dogear P90s..
It's special in the way that an original Junior got painted black, has a tuneomatic and stop tail installed, had a neck dogear P90 and tele style switch installed..(both unoriginal to the guitar of course) is that what you mean?

Prot63

Yep, the Gibson DECAL (which is correct for a Junior) was painted over, and they're CLEARLY two dogear P90s..
It's special in the way that an original Junior got painted black, has a tuneomatic and stop tail installed, had a neck dogear P90 and tele style switch installed..(both unoriginal to the guitar of course) is that what you mean?

Do you see the screw poles on bridge pickup? Unfortunately I can't see them at all...:hmm That's why I can't correctly identify that bridge pickup.
Anyway I see two ear holes on the top of the body for installing the dog ear P90 on the neck...
And by the way why did they paint over the logo? Do you think it's a common thing?

Kris Ford

Do you see the screw poles on bridge pickup? Unfortunately I can't see them at all...:hmm That's why I can't correctly identify that bridge pickup.
Anyway I see two ear holes on the top of the body for installing the dog ear P90 on the neck...
And by the way why did they paint over the logo? Do you think it's a common thing?

They're there..just probably oxidized, and blending in with the black plastic of the dogear cover. And guessing the decal was either stripped, or got painted over..probably an ooops, as I for one would never want a Gibson without a logo..but I would say that's not common to do.

Prot63

They're there..just probably oxidized, and blending in with the black plastic of the dogear cover. And guessing the decal was either stripped, or got painted over..probably an ooops, as I for one would never want a Gibson without a logo..but I would say that's not common to do.

So we agree...thx dude!
Personally I can't even imagine to do those things on one of my axes... I do leave all the original parts in the same conditions (if it's possible, of course) they were when the guitar was born!