• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

what is a guitar center Go ?

bluesroom

What is a guitar center Go and our they different or inferior in anyway ? Is this referring to ones made just for guitar center ?

I saw a 1958 lemon drop top that looked really good in one of the stores . Looked really authentic and was wondering if these are exclusive to guitr center .

cryptozoo

Yes exclusive, not inferior, although their resale value is amongst the lowest of all Historic LPs.

3th3r

The G0 (gee-zero, not gee-oh) is a plaintop R0, especially spec'd and ordered from Gibson Custom by Guitar Center.
G= Guitar Center
0= 1960 Reissue

1958 Reissues are not exclusive to Guitar Center

R

R9.

Yes exclusive, not inferior, although their resale value is amongst the lowest of all Historic LPs.
How is resale on these any different than an R7 or R8?
R7s have lower resale, if you ask me.

cryptozoo

How is resale on these any different than an R7 or R8?
R7s have lower resale, if you ask me.

Yeah, R7 is probably neck in neck. I see G0s as going for a little less, mainly because they're regularly available at GC. This means anyone can go on there and finance one, then get in a bind and have to unload it to pay rent.

cryptozoo

I'd say potentially realistic 'score!' level prices would be

GO or R7 - $1800
R8 - $1900-2k

SneakyK

I have a 2005 G0 and this was a web page GC had up at the time with the specs. Mine is pictured below.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2108814/LPG0.pdf

sneakycanons3.jpg

H&KMP5

From the link you posted:

The GC '60 Les Paul features a thinner finish and uses the purest form of Nitrocellulose that is available.

I too have a 2005 GO which really is a stellar guitar.

the purest forum of nitro ?

I left the guitar in 27 degree weather, brought it a very warm room by the hot stove and not a single check ?

How pure can it be ?

kharrison

My first Historic was a 2006 GO. I wish I had it back, it was a great guitar. Light and had great tone and I traded it for an R9 which turne out to be a dud. Now have an R8 that is close but still not as good as the GO I had.

DrewB

Kharrison, that's the Keith Richards Burst from the HRC in Boston in your avatar, isn't it? I was in there last month and was excited to see that one and Martin Barre's 00-18.

Oh, back on topic. I have a late '06 G0 that is lightweight and has a very vintage, hollow tone. The percussiveness of the neck pickup is almost Strat-like. I have felt at-home with a lot of Historic-series Les Paul necks, but I think the G0 necks are my favorite.

captaincanada

Here is thread I started on my 2006 G0:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171407

Much like others have posted, I bought this guitar because the neck was the best I had ever felt on a Les Paul. Well under 9 lbs too, so it's also rather light.

I don't know about the nitro being any different than any other Historic, but it has already checked in some spots..there are plenty of pictures in my thread that show the checking.

Either way, these are generally great guitars in my experience.

The Real MC

The G0s will eventually earn appreciation. Good bargain now if you want a player guitar. I shopped a lot of LPs with crap tonewood or bad fretwork until I found my 2006 G0. Very toneful woody sounding guitar with excellent feel. Tried three others at different GCs, all were consistently good which is sorely lacking from production LPs today. The G0 is a custom shop guitar made for GC that is modelled after a honeyburst 9-0299 which is in GC's possession and is pictured on page 120 of BOTB.

lespaul-full.jpg

frank4001

I picked up a 2006 G0 not long ago and I love everything about it...all stock, light and above all sounds great, plays and sounds in tune..

g6120

Bought a 60 os GO plain top darkburst a couple of years ago and Ive played all sorts of guitars far back as the late 1950s and that GO I bought from the Guitar Center is one of the best :wow Ive ever played .

Only second of course my :roflES 335:rofl my all time favorite .

kharrison

Kharrison, that's the Keith Richards Burst from the HRC in Boston in your avatar, isn't it? I was in there last month and was excited to see that one and Martin Barre's 00-18.

Oh, back on topic. I have a late '06 G0 that is lightweight and has a very vintage, hollow tone. The percussiveness of the neck pickup is almost Strat-like. I have felt at-home with a lot of Historic-series Les Paul necks, but I think the G0 necks are my favorite.

It was actually Mick Taylor's just looks cooler to call it Keiths :2cool

DrewB

I like the idea of it being Mick Taylor's way more than Keith's. It's a shame that Mick is practically anonymous to the general public.

captaincanada

Just a quick poll for all those participating in this thread, is your G0 your only Historic Les Paul?

For me it is:)

55Custom

a G0 is a Gibson Beano Signature guitar without the ten dollar alnico 3 magnets.

Actually, one of the best ever historics I tested was a G0 about five years ago. Great bang for the buck, if you find the right one.

Last edited: