• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Could the real Beano now resurface?

57GoldTopAztec

With all the attention brought on by the tribute model, maybe it will shake lose the real guitar.

I've read rumors of it still being in London, after the thief unsuccessfully tried to sell it in the '70s. There could not have been too many people who had access to the rehearsal space it was lifted from.

And it would be in Gibson and Clapton's financial interests to recover that guitar.

mistersnappy

That would be cool.

I'd be happy with more pics of Clappo with it. :salude

Garincha

I can't see why that should happen. The guitar is pretty much undocumented and would be the perfect guitar to silently slip on the market without raising any flags. If that wasn't already the case.

If the thief still has it, he is the only one who knows what he has. The known photos of that guitar are to scarce and too bad to give it away even if somebody would actively try to prove it is the real thing.

I think I've read somewhere in this forum about some high quality pics of the Beano sessions which were destroyed in a fire. Now if we'd still have these or some copys would surface, this would change everything. But if Gibson and/or Clapton couldn't get hold of better pics of the guitar I suppose there ain't any and the current owner might not know what he has or if he does, he can't prove it. It would be just another Burst that would be eventually sold in the vintage market.

R

R9.

Isn't there a statute of limitations on theft and wouldn't the thief technically be the legitimate owner now? :hmm

wizardmc

Gosh, with all the attention over the decades, at this point it probably is a goldtop with a Bigsby or something.

Seriously, refin, wipe the serial, and someone might own it today and not know it.

Last edited:

Garincha

Isn't there a statute of limitations on theft and wouldn't the thief technically be the legitimate owner now? :hmm

In Germany (and most parts of the world) the theft itself would fall under a statue of limitations and the thief would not be sentenced to something. But the guitar would still be property of Eric Clapton. You can't gain property of something that was stolen. It renders every following contract obsolete which would leave innocent buyers with the financial loss. They would have a claim against the thief though...

Now having said that, I know the english law can be surprisingly different to what is common in the rest of the world. Any english lawyer around here? ;)

StSpider

Depends on each country's law. Also depends if the actual possessor knows it's stolen goods, according to many laws.

marshall1987

As much as I would like for that to happen......................

How could you possibly authenticate an "undocumented" vintage Les Paul without knowing the serial number? Some folks might say: "What about the original sales receipt"? Good luck finding that.

Even if the "owner" of the Beano Burst stepped forward and admitted he had it in his possession, his story would most likely be dismissed by the experts and authorities, since they require iron-clad proof to substantiate the claim.

NOT A CHANCE. NADA. NOPE. AIN'T GONNA' HAPPEN.

just my $0.02. Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

Beano Geno

I wish it would resurface. I'd love to see/hear Clapton play it again!

Can't imagine any financial downside for Gibson. A lot of their recreations of other famous guitars have inconsistencies from the originals. The stir caused by the reappearance of the Beano would only heighten interest in Gibson's version. In our 24 hour a day information/media age the news would be spread, and no doubt, pique the interest/curiosity of many who had never even heard of Beano. I'm not saying it would cause anyone (who had never heard of Beano) to buy one, but it would create a buzz. I see no down side for Gibson or Clapton if it does resurface.:peace2

hoss

I asked this already in the Patty Boyd autobiography thread: In the 1990s she bought a 60s Burst as a memorabilia for her time with Eric and she still has the guitar.

Has anybody seen her Burst? Could it be Beano?

58Lover

Jebus, if true, that would be a VERY interesting question to pose to Ms. Boyd!!

slammintone

Could the Beano Burst re-surface?? I think Jimmy Hoffa re-surfacinig would be more likely.

MattD1960

I think there were some discriminating marks near the bridge of the beano, and the double white/black pick ups could also be used as a sorce of ID, i think its a possibility, buttt i think its highly unlikely the guitar will ever come about, I would LOVE to see it, or hear clapton play it again but its just never gonna happen

57GoldTopAztec

I could definitely see a few folks coming out of the woodwork claiming they stumbled upon Beano. And if the original thief still has the guitar, I think he could be tracked down by checking who had access to the rehearsal space that week.

Classic71

Depends on each country's law. Also depends if the actual possessor knows it's stolen goods, according to many laws.

In the UK, if someone handles stolen goods they are guilty even if they are ignorant of the fact that the goods were stolen. As in any case the circumstances would be taken into account, but ignorance is no defence.

Classic71

But I agree with Marshall1987, I don't know how Clapton could establish proof of ownership based on the photos I've seen, after this length of time.

I doubt he's even worried about getting it back, after all he parted company with Blackie and the cherry ES-335 after much longer relationships with both guitars, which he was obviously very attached to and bonded with over many years.

houndog31

Interesting thread but the likelihood that "the" thief at that time had any foresight that it would become a holy grail guitar 44 years later is ridiculous. This was a backstage, loading ramp job by a punk, most likely at a club or rehearsal space at a time when EC was a local (albeit popular with a small hip crowd) club act, before Cream and fame. That guitar was probably flipped for fast cash, then flipped again as a used guitar and soon any connection with EC was lost.

My guess is that Beano has been out there in circulation, unknowingly, perhaps modded or messed with, or maybe all intact, but impossible to confirm. Even EC himself has stated that he has little memory of it. The best detail that has surfaced is Peter Green's description in an interview that he recalled it had a narrow neck, and he would know the difference.

All we know is this:

1. Fairly plain top
2. Slim neck
3. Grovers
4. Double whites in neck position

Of the surviving Bursts that would narrow things down if in fact it was not modded.

Last edited: