• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Could the real Beano now resurface?

houndog31

Those few photos of Beano that we all know were shot on medium format film and are quite high quality, they could easily provide a grain pattern, or unique nick details, to compare with should someone want to try to authenticate.

Last edited:

troyad

I'm still rolling the dice and saying it's in Gibsons possession and this will be some kind of grand unveiling/rediscovering.
Hey, it could happen!

Beano Geno

I'm still rolling the dice and saying it's in Gibsons possession and this will be some kind of grand unveiling/rediscovering.
Hey, it could happen!

Ain't happening....although I'd like it to.:)

Red Baron

That guitar could be absolutely anywhere now... but there is a member who believes he knew where it once was and I have no reason to doubt him.

Regardless, even if Gibson had the original to use for reference, the signature reissues will only ever be in the ballpark.

slammintone

That guitar could be absolutely anywhere now... but there is a member who believes he knew where it once was and I have no reason to doubt him.

Regardless, even if Gibson had the original to use for reference, the signature reissues will only ever be in the ballpark.

There's the truth right there. You look at the neck measurements for the Green/Moore/Franks axes and no two are the same. It's a joke. Whether the Franks or the Beano, I'd just get the one that had the best neck and the lightest weight I could find.

goldtop0

Okay Chris,so can this be divulged.....where it once was?

57GoldTopAztec

The rumor I've heard on the interwebs is it is in the hands of a Londoner who once had access to Cream's first rehearsal space. He tried to unload it in the 70s, but suspicious collectors asked him questions and he cut out the sales effort.

He has supposedly shown it to a few friends who are sworn to secrecy. Somewhere along the line, a refin to black may have occurred.

MK.II

There's the truth right there. You look at the neck measurements for the Green/Moore/Franks axes and no two are the same. It's a joke. Whether the Franks or the Beano, I'd just get the one that had the best neck and the lightest weight I could find.

I seriously doubt they would be exact even if they had the actual beano guitar. I recently seen one of the Clapton '64 ES-335 reissues and some of the specs on it were way off when compared to pics of the original. And they HAD the original to copy when they made those. On the one I seen the f-hole positioning was wrong, the toggle switch positioning was off by at least an inch and the pickguard must have been smaller because it was farther away from the cutaway than the original's was. If the pickguard wasn't smaller then something else was askew for it to be farther away from the cutaway like that. I'm guessing that not all of the Clapton 335s had those issues though. That being said, I love custom shop Gibsons. :)

goldtop0

The rumor I've heard on the interwebs is it is in the hands of a Londoner who once had access to Cream's first rehearsal space. He tried to unload it in the 70s, but suspicious collectors asked him questions and he cut out the sales effort.

He has supposedly shown it to a few friends who are sworn to secrecy. Somewhere along the line, a refin to black may have occurred.

Now if one of his 'few friends' were to dob him in???
Thanks for that info 57.

Red Baron

Okay Chris,so can this be divulged.....where it once was?

In London Steve, and as 57GoldTopAztec mentioned, there are supposedly a number of people who know of its whereabouts. I heard that the person who stole the guitar sold it and the person who bought it has had it in his possession ever since.

hoss

In London Steve, and as 57GoldTopAztec mentioned, there are supposedly a number of people who know of its whereabouts. I heard that the person who stole the guitar sold it and the person who bought it has had it in his possession ever since.
And I suppose he knows it's Beano. Did he do the black refin?

Red Baron

I know nothing about a black refin hoss, and this person moved away from London years ago so I assume he probably hasn't heard anything himself since the 80's. FWIW he was active in the music scene there at the time and the other people who knew of the guitar's whereabouts were also muso's... that's all I know.

frazettafan

I know of one extremely strong candidate for being the Beano, but there was no way to actually confirm it. There will never be a way to say, with 100% certainty, that a given guitar is THE Beano. No owner is going to publicly claim that their guitar is the one, because the possibility of forfeiture is too high. We've all heard rumors of this and that, but it's never come to light, and never will, simply because there's no way to prove it, and no one with that guitar would want it proven.

Didn't Bernie Marsden reckon that one of his 'Burst's was the Beano? I'm sure I've heard that story a few times some years ago? :wah

StSpider

In the UK, if someone handles stolen goods they are guilty even if they are ignorant of the fact that the goods were stolen. As in any case the circumstances would be taken into account, but ignorance is no defence.

Under italian law for example, you become the rightful owner of an item, even if stolen, thanks to the uninterrupted possess of it for the course of 20 years and the premise that you acquired it not knowing that it was either stolen o someone else's.

mistersnappy

Its kinda strange to me that it was stolen during rehearsals/at a rehearsal space. That place couldn't have been common knowledge in such a large city...:hmm

55Custom

Did the original have any flame on it at all. All the pics I have seen of it shows that its a plaintop, without any "subtle flame."

TM1

In the U.K. the stolen item remains the property of the original purchaser for life. There is no statue on limitations on stolen goods.
So, the guitar still technically belongs to Eric and the person who stole it can still be prosecuted for as long as he lives as can the person who bought the stolen item.