• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1977 Les Paul 55 77 reissue

Janse

Thanks for the lead to Germany - took a look at it - the price dont scare but the look and case does - I like mint or close, like the one above from Dlacx wich looks very cool and cared for. Actually I found one in Japan - not tv - and the price :wow app 3700 us ! Now we are talking high price - and that might be too much unless its completely untouched .

Janse

Yes - the prices are rather high in Japan as I can see - dont know why but maybe due to many copies from the east made in these years - so they pay top price for originals - I just found a 55/74 - its about 1800 us + 55/77 - 2700 us ! But neither are tv - and that's what I want - even thoug the sunburst are nice as well - sp maybe I just have to buy a sunburst and then wait untill Dlacx is getting warm :) or somebody else - its crazy with these guitars - actually I can get a the brand new VOS for less - but the neck is thick as a baseball bat - and has no soul. But does anyone has any records of the fact that some 55/74 are called special - some model - then again - with diffrent imprint on the back of the headstock ! Also some are stamped made in usa + 55/77 etc - its like they just did them as they felt on the day of production :ha And also some with tuners in plastic - some in metal some gibson - some are Kluson - some pots dating 73 ! - really its a guitar that was first reissue and then did they know what they wanted - I think they did with the 55/77 - no wrap -tuneomatic etc just a bit more modern - and then again - in between the chairs - original - and then not ! ! I love it - a real personality. :ha

Janse

Dlacx - if you are on - how is your serial number + is it stamped made in usa - actually just found one on ebay - byt I really cant figure out when its from - the serial number goes beyond 77 i am sure its too long and no stamp - I dont remember the numbering on the one i had - but it seems wrong somehow - but could it then be from 78 -79 or later - a correct 77 should read 06xxxxxx ! Its a jungle with these serial numbers - especially in these years.:hmm

dlacx

031.jpg

Janse

Thanks Dlacx - that's how it should look in 77 - the one I found must be different year / copy or - but its not a 77 as far as I can see - but they made after 77 I think - so that might be why.
I still hunting - but its hard to find a nice one in tv and the correct year - have a sunburst on hold - so maybe I should go for that - untill a tv pops up for sale. Are even considering the 55/74 right now - found one of these as well - and they only come in sunburst as far as I have seen.

Janse

By the way - are there any of you guys that has any leads where to search for these LP 55 - while Dlacx is thinking :hmm - here in Denmark there is really not much to search for - to say the least - looked at the bay - but not many of these - one right now but with a neck problem - so where is the good shops ? Been aroung yahoo and google a million times - no luck.

Janse

Hi Out there - I think its time to say merry x-mas to your guys that posted on my thread - have not been lucky in my hunt so far - still searcing for the tv as Dlacx has - have the money but cant find any - so if you guys see one please let me know and I hope you enjoy the holidays - peace :salude

Chazinroch

I'm not a guitar player so forgive my ignorance. My friend is trying to unload a Les Paul. On the back of the headstock it reads

Les Paul 55-77
Made in USA
0xxx2xxx

It's a dark sun burst, with black PF90s and it does not say "Special" on the front of the headstock.

I think by convention of serial numbers this would be a 2002. Did they make these in 2002?

I don't know if forum rules allow, but what would this be worth? Rough range probably a 8/10 condition.

Thanks
A bass player...

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Chuck, when you sent me the pics, I didn't know that the serial number was a decal as opposed to inpressed. That changes everything. The "06" is a prefix, they also used a "00" prefix, which designates another year. So I'd believe it to be a 1977, rather than a 2002.

D'Mule

I'm not a guitar player so forgive my ignorance. My friend is trying to unload a Les Paul. On the back of the headstock it reads

Les Paul 55-77
Made in USA
0xxx2xxx

It's a dark sun burst, with black PF90s and it does not say "Special" on the front of the headstock.

I think by convention of serial numbers this would be a 2002. Did they make these in 2002?

I don't know if forum rules allow, but what would this be worth? Rough range probably a 8/10 condition.

Thanks
A bass player...

1977 Serial numbers don't follow the modern convention. '55-'77 was built as a reissue in 1977.

I had one, very cool guitar with plenty of mojo even though not historically correct to 1955. Alas, I sold it, even after investing some new frets in it (original low wide frets were very low) because I could not love the thin flat neck.

Chazinroch

Thanks for the info guys!! Watch out for Elmo, now that he has gone gold. Did he ever tell about the original gold '54 he used to own?

D'Mule

jrgtr42

THere's one (in sunburst) for sale on Craigslist Boston. DOn';t recall the price offhand - I'm pretty sure it's under $1000 US. It's popped up a few times over the past couple months, I've been tempted, but one look at my bank statement,
:(