• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

winered 76 standard

guitplayer

Cool, one of my old threads.
Heres the opening 1976.

These are good guitars. Sometimes heavy. But usally pretty consistent sounding. All that
70`s Rock was played on these(Norlins). Well most of it.:)

Big Al

Sorry - I really don't know what the fuss is about with 70's Les Paul standards. You had to be there at the time to remember what they were like out of the box. Most of them were awful. Just a Deluxe with humbuckers.

I worked in a music shop in the mid to late 70's. Played and sold dozens of them. Even the used ones that surfaced later (early 80's) were no better for having been owned and played for a few years. The singer in my band at the time (79') had a wine red 77 std. It was a pile of junk! Later, in another band, (81 to 84) our other guitarist had a 76' sunburst std and that wasn't any better.

The 70's models really turned me off Les Pauls for a long time.

The first decent Les Paul I remember was a 89'/90' pre-historic. I even recall the serial number 9 0189. Hanging up in Andy's in Denmark Street London. Sadly it was £3500 in 1991. Just couldn't afford it but it was a really nice guitar. Knocked spots off of any 70's Les Paul.

Of course, now we have the wonderful Historics. Thank the maker!

OK, feel free to slate me.

I too worked in a few music stores and was an authorized Gibson Repair Tech in the 70's. So sorry I haven't the cork sniffery credentials to agree with any of what you said. I pretty much have a very opposite view from those you express and me and the other ordinary folk who don't know any better will keep on enjoying these quite wonderful guitars. Most of them were awful??? No I very heartily disagree with that sentiment or assessment, whatever it is it is just plain wrong.
Just a Deluxe with hum buckers, that is too funny as a Les Paul Deluxe is just a Standard with mini humbuckers. It must be so satisfying to you to just slam them as you did.

troyvod

those 70's Gibsons are hit and miss for sure, weight is probably the biggest turn off in 70's Les Pauls i think, but there are some great ones out there. I have a beat 73 Deluxe that would be in my top 10 of Les Pauls, i've ever played, well into the triple figures. Even a mate who owns a bunch, including a couple of 50's examples reckons that guitar has something about it. Hey if you like it, stuff the haters.