• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anybody know Retrofret?

apossibleworld

Yes. Steve and Peter at Retrofret are fantastic. Their store is my favorite in the world and they make buying (and learning about) guitars as easy as can be. I would buy from them with no hesitation, and in fact, I do just that.

aperlm

Yes, wonderful staff and showroom. Highly recommend a visit if you're ever in Brooklyn.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I was wondering about them also.
Are they fairly new to the vintage guitar business?
:hmm

Rev.WillieVK

Anybody else know them?

Despite an inventory of what looks to be mostly jazz boxes :biggrin: I expected them to be better known here.

Anybody? Bueller?

apossibleworld

No, they've been around for 20 years. Their shop is on a block that has no street traffic, so nobody wanders in randomly. It's a really quiet and laid back place, where you can hang out and play very rare guitars with no hassle.

ps - I know my post-count here is low, but I'm a longtime lurker :)

The Boz 56

Steve Uhrik was a luthier at Guitar Trader in Red Bank NJ back "in the day". He was very involved in the Guitar Trader 59 Flametop run they did circa 1980 and was around when Guitar Trader had many beautiful vintage Bursts, Strats, Teles, Firebirds, etc. It got a littly crazy at GT at the end I hear but Steve is a great honest knowledgeable guy.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Steve Uhrik was a luthier at Guitar Trader in Red Bank NJ back "in the day". He was very involved in the Guitar Trader 59 Flametop run they did circa 1980 and was around when Guitar Trader had many beautiful vintage Bursts, Strats, Teles, Firebirds, etc. It got a littly crazy at GT at the end I hear but Steve is a great honest knowledgeable guy.

Thanks Boz! :dude:

sgtvjr

Pete writes for Vintage Guitar Magazine. I've done some trades with them and they are on the level.

aperlm

Check out the profile of Retrofret in the most recent issue of the Fretboard Journal.

Dire Wolf

Very impressive; he's been around a few nice guitars! :peace2

keef

Peter is a very nice guy and knows a LOT about prewar acoustic stuff of all sorts.

avincent52

Rev Willie
I can also vouch for the Retrofret guys and pretty much everything that's been said is on the level. My friend Brian wrote that FBJ story.
Of course, while they're good, reputable guys, the usual caveats apply about getting detailed descriptions of condition, understanding shipping and return policies, and just generally asking first to avoid disappointments and misunderstandings later.
Hope the deal works out well.

cheers
Allen

Rev.WillieVK

Thank you Boz, Keef, Allen and everybody! :dude:

I have passed all of this info to my buddy that wants to buy from them. :salude