• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

congrats

hy there

here's my first pics

sg: 79 not much to say about, found it in GB around 92 - just a great sounding baby, just recently did a proper setup

lp: 73 or 74 with unusual color (maybe you know?) got it in 88 with all tuner-stuff changed, (both sides)
exchanged the PU for a Di Marzio (still have the original) and just love it

sorry, pics are so small! if you want to see at least some bigger:

http://s13.postimg.org/7bow4tdnr/portraits22015.jpg

gonna try it with better hosted tomorrow.

what do you think?

Last edited:

Progrocker111

hy there

lp: 73 or 74 with unusual color (maybe you know?) got it in 88 with all tuner-stuff changed, (both sides)
exchanged the PU for a Di Marzio (still have the original) and just love it

sorry, pics are so small! if you want to see at least some bigger:

http://s13.postimg.org/7bow4tdnr/portraits22015.jpg

gonna try it with better hosted tomorrow.

what do you think?

Wow, its a very rare 74/early 75 Les Paul Custom with rosewood top. Beautiful and really rare one. Try to put it in original condition, these can be really pricey. :)

congrats

Wow, its a very rare 74/early 75 Les Paul Custom with rosewood top. Beautiful and really rare one. Try to put it in original condition, these can be really pricey. :)
thanks very much!

i just did a "reply with Quote" and wrote down the whole story how i got this guitar. unfortunatly, after i hit the "preview" button, the text would show up as if it was posted, but only with "preview".
and whatever i do, i can't seem to copy the whole story into the "Your Message" Field anymore.
however, i might write the story at some other point in time, if someone wants to know how this beauty found it's way to switzerland and more important, - to me.

to my question:

what would be the needed changes to put it back to original?
the tuners have been changed, i can see the holes of the former ones. what were they?

is it possible, that the fine-tuning-system was on the guitar when it left the factory?
(somebody pointed me into this direction, since they are period-correct and probably even gibson)
what knobs are most likely original for this?
PU was changed for a Di Marzio (wich was very popular back in the 80's) but i can swap that any time.

i will soon check the parts inside, to find out wether it's a '73 / 74 or even 75, as you think)

any tipps you can give me?

Progrocker111

thanks very much!
any tipps you can give me?

Tuners wont be a problem, there should be "Waffleback" Kluson tuners. Tailpiece isnt a problem too, they are easily available. I see that you have extra thumbwheel under bridge, you can remove them, if you want. You need either patent number stickered T-Tops or with stamped patent number. It depends on manufacture date of the guitar. When its 73 or early 74 - you need stickered T-Tops. Both versions are available, but the earlier stickered are more expensive. Try to write here pots codes and serial number, then we will be wiser and we can date it fairly precisely. :)

congrats

thank you for assistance!

Sereal-Nr: 540028
with made in USA Stamp
Pot-Code is 1377523
if i remember right, this means week 23 of 1975, right?

that would mean that my guitar just turned 40, some weeks ago (mid june)

would you suggest to put on gold parts? to mee it looks, as if all parts, (even the ones that haven't been changed) are - or at least were - gold paintet. it just vanishes at some parts more then on others.
why you start about the t-tops? do you think the PUs are not original as well?
the one i swapped for the DiMarzio isn't a stickered t-top.
it just says PAT NO 2737842
what does that tell you?

what about the correct knobs? i have the "Speed-Knobs" black, see-thru from top, and removed them for the ones you see in the pics. can't remember wich ones she came with. (had both at some point)

if we have to move this to another thread, please let me know (admin) or just do so. thanks

Last edited:

guitplayer

Progs the expert on these.
But the pat# pickup is probably original being a 1975 MFD.
It might have come originally with the witch hat knobs.
The TP-6 tailpiece probably added on later.
Originally it would have a heavy(brass) TP.
Nice guitar!!!

Progrocker111

Interesting, its perhaps one of the last early 70s production from Kalamazoo. The one stamped T-Top is original then, so you only need one more. :)

Witchhat knobs are original on this guitar, they lasted until 75 like yours. So you wont it have difficult to restore it to stock condition.

parts

That brings back some memories..
It was a thing back around then mid 70s..to put that second set of thumb wheels. Some of us thought the sustain would increase by "locking down" the posts and keep the thin posts from bending..and stop the motion of the bridge posts..and stop intonation problems.

I still have the guitars..but none with the doubles..guess I ditched that years ago..
Plus..I play more "mature" now..so less carnage on the guitars..:ganz:ganz

kekehe

151004.jpg
https://muusikoiden.net/dyn/users/151004.jpg

Hello you all! I´m a newbie and just want to share a picture of my Norlin babies. Both are 1979 Standards. Tobacco burst is Kalamanzoo made and sherry burst is from Nashville. Tobacco weights 4,1 kg (9 lbs) and sherry is 4,55 kg (10 lbs). There are little differencies between them, for example neck is wider and has more shoulder in Kalamanzoo made. Soundwise I think that Nashville is little bit beefier sounding and Kalamanzoo little bit brighter. Both sound and sustain very well.

Last edited:

shred

Killer flame on the T-burst... It's so rare to get flame on all three pieces. Nice guitars :salude

Midnight Blues

My '72 Limited Edition '54 that I've had since '73:

My '76 Deluxe that I've had since around '77:

This is what it originally looked like (photo courtesy of Ludlow Guitars, NYC):

This what it looked like for the last 35 years or so after I had mods done shortly after I bought it:

This is what it looks like today after I had Bare Knuckles PG Blues installed and "Reflectors" put on:

Looks like the links changed, so...:

My '72 Limited Edition '54 that I've had since '73:

picture.php

picture.php

Newer picture:

picture.php

My '76 Deluxe that I've had since around '77:

This is what it originally looked like (photo courtesy of Ludlow Guitars, NYC):

picture.php

This what it looked like for the last 35 years or so after I had mods done shortly after I bought it:

picture.php

picture.php

This is what it looks like today after I had Bare Knuckles PG Blues installed and "Reflectors" put on:

picture.php

Newer picture:

picture.php

Last edited:

Kris Ford

Guess I'll flog this ol thing out again.:peace2
014_1.jpg

At one time...
afc9c4d4-5cf7-4526-8c5e-8ae29b949ca2.jpg

Natural now belongs to forum brother Jojo68.

guitplayer

Yep, I pulled the 74-75 t-tops out. Replaced
with a DDJ (80`s) MJ wound. And an old refurbished JB wound by MJ in 2012(neck).
That pickup was sweated/rusted from my 75 deluxe. Repurposed.
another angle. Spent alot of time getting this one right. Sweet guitar. 1969 pickguard I fitted.

Kris Ford

Yep, I pulled the 74-75 t-tops out. Replaced
with a DDJ (80`s) MJ wound. And an old refurbished JB wound by MJ in 2012(neck).
That pickup was sweated/rusted from my 75 deluxe. Repurposed.
another angle. Spent alot of time getting this one right. Sweet guitar. 1969 pickguard I fitted.

Dig it!

pete587

this is my 74? 72? era custom
i have no idea what year it really is ive had people say its a 71
because of the serial number etc etc
i do know it was purchased in about 73 74 by my uncle
imagejpeg
imagejpeg