• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

stilwel

1975 Custom with original T-Tops (covers removed)

2lbmfb8.jpg

9kqzuv.jpg

Erwin Puke

Edwin!! Cool group of excellent tone generators. That 73 goldtop is a twin of my own 73, even down to the P90's and greening wear !!!! Mine has a Vibramate/Bigsby now, but still, TWINS!!!! I love mine dearly, buying it new when I graduated HS.

I really like this thread fellas. So much love for guitars I have allways championed, makes me happy.

Thanks alot Al, i adopted mine just 4 years ago so most of the blood sweat and tears (greening) is done by somebody else but the sound is beautyfull.
I was born in 1971 thats why i started looking for gibsons of that era and i'm a lucky man, i love the sound of the early seventy's gibsons and for the money i'm glad
that i wasn't born in 1968 :) or 1960......

Last but not least i love see the twin of the Goldtop... picture please

Grtz. Erwin

rockabilly69

Lots of good stuff, I'll throw my '72 into the mix:

sMJDO5x.jpg
Around 2002 I was standing in a Guitar Center and I watched a guy trade a LP custom and a blackface Twin just like that. At that time, Guitar Center had one guy working there that was a player. When he plugged that rig in and started playing I heard some of the best guitar tones I had heard a long time. It was both clean and ballsy at the same time! When GC finally got around to selling that combo it went for way too much money for me to get into it as I was just getting back into playing music fulltime and money was a bit tight. What a bummer.

deytookerjaabs

Around 2002 I was standing in a Guitar Center and I watched a guy trade a LP custom and a blackface Twin just like that. At that time, Guitar Center had one guy working there that was a player. When he plugged that rig in and started playing I heard some of the best guitar tones I had heard a long time. It was both clean and ballsy at the same time! When GC finally got around to selling that combo it went for way too much money for me to get into it as I was just getting back into playing music fulltime and money was a bit tight. What a bummer.

Thanks! Both represent a change from my usual "get the best deal you can." That Les Paul was the last thing I expected to walk out with after having a free day of trying 20 or 30 of them :hee really just for fun with no intent on purchasing. I remember telling the sales guy regarding it "I know you're asking top dollar, but I'm going to need you to hold this, tonight I'll sell my other guitar." Sold my historic for a little over 2K within a few hours on TGP.

For the Twin, I happened to have another couple days to myself down in Florida and in a shop full of vintage Fender amps it was, again, the last thing I expected to buy. I had to trust my ears versus a few supers/pro's/riveras/etc, and it was an okay price since no one is buying the heavy amps as of late. The JBL's sound amazing at small venue volume but I might get another set of less efficient original blackface twin speakers to get a tiny bit more grit. That said, it's PERFECT for Telecaster bridge honky tonk wailin', and with the Les Paul does great with the motown/blues group I play in.

rockabilly69

Thanks! Both represent a change from my usual "get the best deal you can." That Les Paul was the last thing I expected to walk out with after having a free day of trying 20 or 30 of them :hee really just for fun with no intent on purchasing. I remember telling the sales guy regarding it "I know you're asking top dollar, but I'm going to need you to hold this, tonight I'll sell my other guitar." Sold my historic for a little over 2K within a few hours on TGP.

For the Twin, I happened to have another couple days to myself down in Florida and in a shop full of vintage Fender amps it was, again, the last thing I expected to buy. I had to trust my ears versus a few supers/pro's/riveras/etc, and it was an okay price since no one is buying the heavy amps as of late. The JBL's sound amazing at small venue volume but I might get another set of less efficient original blackface twin speakers to get a tiny bit more grit. That said, it's PERFECT for Telecaster bridge honky tonk wailin', and with the Les Paul does great with the motown/blues group I play in.

For awhile I was giging with a '62 brown super and it had JBLs that also sounded great at low volume but I also wished for a bit more grind.

Shreddies

New to the forum, thought I'd start my first post off here with my 1978 Standard. This thing is an absolute beast and is in great shape for the year. Definitely one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever owned.

125n7gn.jpg

1zn8yz4.jpg

121qura.jpg

dpcmft.jpg

Kris Ford

New to the forum, thought I'd start my first post off here with my 1978 Standard. This thing is an absolute beast and is in great shape for the year. Definitely one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever owned.

125n7gn.jpg

1zn8yz4.jpg

121qura.jpg

dpcmft.jpg

Welcome!

That Painter Guy

1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom unplayed for 41 years...time capsule. My precious. Still has plastic cover on the pick guard, and the remove sticker. Its not a black and gold..its a black and chrome. Made specificly to match a Gibson Thunderbird Bass black/chrome as is this guitar.... A true requested custom. Yes my room is dirty, so is my wife. Enjoy \m/
PwU7SSq.jpg

Qn1jdtz.jpg

ur4vN61.jpg

LYwVnyV.jpg

D191aao.jpg

aTNp9gC.jpg

HQAL4b5.jpg

Q7uYKxs.jpg

825N1Li.jpg

uVMtjHz.jpg

Last edited:

Big Al

This thread just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Love it Fellas! I have so many, many great memories and experience with these under appreciated and much used guitars. Keep 'em coming, I am loving this!

Becker

70's? No. Norlin? Yes.

'85 LPC built 11/85. Got it in '86 or '87. All original except for strap locks.
KjpxsLW.jpg

'80 Standard stamped 5/7/80. Got it in the late '80's for next to nothing. All original except for strap locks and pickguard (previous owner couldn't find it, replaced it with a Gibson pickguard.)
vHPeAOy.jpg

latestarter

Some cool guitars in this thread. Here's my small contribution.

76 LE Explorer with 50's style tuners, MojoAxe plastic, mid 60's T Tops with ThroBak magnets. Large, possibly gigantic neck. Fire-breathing monster.

Ocf3rpU.jpg

Here's a late 70 SG I no longer own. Sounded great.

kAimiM2.jpg

Not 70's but still Norlin, and a great one...

KdMm7aC.jpg

One of my favorite guitars - it's light, honky, and has a great neck.

dAl5Biw.jpg

deytookerjaabs

Oh hey, this guy got one lightweight Norlin and another one with a hefty neck profile. Everyone likes to brag man but geez.......:wow Very nice examples! :peace2

latestarter

Oh hey, this guy got one lightweight Norlin and another one with a hefty neck profile. Everyone likes to brag man but geez.......:wow Very nice examples! :peace2

:hank cheers

To make me a little more humble, the SG and the 335, 355 I owned from the 70's all had narrow nuts. On reflection, I've had a lot of Norlins. I'll find the shots of the others at some stage. All I have left is the LE Explorer, Korina V (also bog neck) and the LE '54.

Progrocker111

My 30th anny and 73' Custom with stock jumbo frets & Grovers.

pMjF2Ky.jpg

dJSoqcw.jpg

I9ZLoiL.jpg

You sure the Custom is 73? These wider jumbo frets first appeared in 75, with reflector knobs too. I would bet your Custom is 75. Try to check pot codes to be sure. :)