• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sammy Hagar Gibson Red Rocker

dlmorley

Now apart from the headstock stuff, I think this is one of the best looking new LP's that's been out for ages!
Anyone know anything about these?
f664f35f-2bed-41eb-95c3-876f3cd5fc8a.jpg

mikev

I love Sammy. His was the first rock show I ever saw in 1980.
But yikes, that headstock is really horrible. Other than that, it's a nice looking Les Paul.

Ryan Givhan

buy it and get the head stock refinished. lol not to crazy about chickenfoot. worst guitar tone ever imo in that band. dont know why gibson would want to put their logo on one of their guitars.

Omega

I really love the finish. Headstock, not at all - ruins an otherwise beautiful presentation. Comes off as super-cheesy.

formula73

I'll echo everybody else: looks great but the hs has got to go. However, The Red Rocker will always be synonymous with a red Dean Baby ML. Just sayin...

MikeSlub

Administrator
Looks a lot like my 1996 Custom Shop quilt top - color was called "Ruby Red" at that time:

1996_Gibson_Les_Paul_Custom_Shop_Ruby_Red_Quilt.JPG

mikev

I'll echo everybody else: looks great but the hs has got to go. However, The Red Rocker will always be synonymous with a red Dean Baby ML. Just sayin...

He's played Gibsons quite a bit over the years, too. I usually picture him with his Explorer or a red LP.
Also, as a side note, I can't believe how good this guy looks for his age. He's flippin' 62. Amazing that a rock star looks that good for that age..

559653.jpg

Sammy%20Hagar%20First%20Avenue%20RNC%20Gustav.jpg

sonar

Is it much different from the pre-02, Wine Red Standard? Darker perhaps?

access

How many Red rocker guitars does this make now from different manufacturers?

Dont get me wrong, I actually liked Van Halen with Sammy, but really I could give a crap what guitar Sammy Hagar played! He's a front man first. It would be like a Chris Cornell signature model, or a Bryan Adams model.

(Oh crap.....now I just gave Gibson 2 new ideas!)

J.D.

These Les Paul artist versions have gotten *completely* out of hand. I mean the Les Paul is already an artist signature guitar (Les'). I guess I can understand the Jimmy Page, Billy F, and Gary Rossington ones as they are quite well known from many years of recording and performing. I don't recall seeing Sammy playing this guitar throughout his career like say Jimmy Page and his #1.

unsleeper

Also, as a side note, I can't believe how good this guy looks for his age. He's flippin' 62. Amazing that a rock star looks that good for that age..

Pretty soon his hit song's lyrics will be "I can't drive, I'M sixty -five!" :wah

:couch

mikev

How many Red rocker guitars does this make now from different manufacturers?

Dont get me wrong, I actually liked Van Halen with Sammy, but really I could give a crap what guitar Sammy Hagar played! He's a front man first. It would be like a Chris Cornell signature model, or a Bryan Adams model.

(Oh crap.....now I just gave Gibson 2 new ideas!)

Not exactly. He was the front man for VH, yea, but prior to that, during his solo career part one, he played guitar on almost every song live. And he has played a lot after that, too.
I guess it depends on ones exposure to him. I first bought his records as a kid in the 70's, then saw him when I was 14 in 1980. I never really liked the VH stuff with him. I thought it was kind of crap.
But you are right, he is most certainly a front man, and a good one at that. Great attitude, loves what he does and has a great voice.

Wookie

All Access/Backstage Pass
I have BIG respect for Hagar as a front man/singer AND Guitarist. But the headstock is FUGLY. I'll say it again in case the peeps at Gibson are reading this: That head stock is FRIGGIN UGLY!

If Hagar insists on having that gaudy Chickenfoot logo on there it should be small enough to fit BETWEEN the tuner post holes and be on the BACK of the headstock. Having it take up the entire width of the headstock is incredibly cheesy & gaudy, especially for a one-album supergroup that could disband at any moment and be completely passe by next year.

I do respect them as a band, they are all phenominal players, but there's NO reason for that band to get a signature axe.

AND I WILL ALSO AGREE that the finish on the body is INCREDIBLE!

Wookie

All Access/Backstage Pass
SURE IT'S GORGEOUS!!

Then you check out the neck and find that it plays LIKE BUTTA BABY! Cuz it's got that Plek thing going on.

Frets are crowned just right. Chords are effortless and bending notes allows you to grab just enough meat to put your SOUL into every virbato nuance.

The neck feels PERFECTLY chunky, yet slim shouldered and fast like you're holding onto your... OK you fill in the blanc

The pickups have the perfect low end girth and upper end bite that just says SEX through a cranked up tube amp.

Then you slide down to an A Chord.

And do a Pete Townsend whirlwind power slam and ring the heavens in Rock and Roll bliss, only to find that somebody has done rubbed chicken shit all over your headstock!!!

Needle goes flying off the record Brrrrrrrpppttt...

WTF!?!?

Schtang

the graphic of the headstock really lets the guitar down visually.