The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Just bought this Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom

Ebay job. Shipped from Japan. Seller was great to deal with. Arrived in the UK in two working days.

Always wanted a black Custom, but can't really justifiy the expense of another Gibson right now; this looked like a good way to go.

Glad I went for it. It's an excellent guitar. Made in 1988, weighs 8.8lb, nicely played in, nitro finish, long neck tenon. The thing that always sets the copies apart for me is the poly finish; really alters the feel, so the nitro finish was a deciding factor in choosing an Orville by Gibson over a regular Orville or Burny or something. Fretboard isn't ebony, but is a nice dark piece of rosewood, so doesn't stand out too much. Plays and sounds lovely.

Check out that top-carve:

Came with some great old Seymour Duncans fitted.

Thought I'd share, but I don't think I'm allowed to post this in the main forums.

Re: Just bought this Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom

Nice guitar! I passed one of those up that was priced at $600 at the Columbus Guitar Show a few years ago. It was really nice, but the cash in my pocket was intended to be spent on a Junior. I didn't find a Junior there that I wanted and when I went back for the Custom, it was gone. It looked and played every bit as nice as a Gibson and would have made a nice affordable player.

All Access/Backstage Pass GotTheSilver's Avatar

Nice guitar! Congrats!

I was very impressed by the one Orville by Gibson Les Paul that I got to play unplugged for 90 seconds. I heard the owner playing it in a bar gig and it sounded great.

Hey Adam - nice guitar!! They are really good value instruments.

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

Those can be excellent guitars!

My buddy has a Burny and it's actually great (except for cheap electronics and so-so fretwork).

Nice

Congrats, great guitars, I have a OBG 335 & j-200 & a Orville LP Standard. Great values!!!!

I had an OBG Custom just like that one for a while. Not sure if these are chambered or what, but all the ones I've seen seem to be strangely light for a Custom. Mine was around 8.5lbs. Cool tone!

In the Zone/Backstage Pass Wisertime's Avatar

Adam, nice guitar. Good luck with it! (DMB nice too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.WillieVK View Post
    Those can be excellent guitars!

My buddy has a Burny and it's actually great (except for cheap electronics and so-so fretwork).
    A friend of a friend used to play a Burny Custom on our local circuit. He was a great player and always got a fantastic tone.

Quote Originally Posted by cryptozoo View Post
    I had an OBG Custom just like that one for a while. Not sure if these are chambered or what, but all the ones I've seen seem to be strangely light for a Custom. Mine was around 8.5lbs. Cool tone!

Yeah, it's a little lighter than my Standard, but it balances well, not neck heavy. I don't think it's chambered, it sure sounds great.

I just spent a while hacking out some riffs and licks on it through my 2203. It absolutely smokes! It doesn't feel like a cheap imitation at all, it feels and sounds like a great Les Paul. It has a lot of honest play wear, so I figured that was a sign that it sounded good before I bought it. I can see me putting a lot more miles on its clock though!

DMB70: Love that J-200!

1989 Orville:

Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

They made some great LP's from the 80's, kinda made USA Gibbo wake up.
    Top carves are sexy

The Orville By Gibson line is the higher end stuff, nitro finishes, 1 piece backs, US made electronics & the Orville brand is "lower end" sometimes multi piece backs, poly finishes, Japanese electronics. The monster flame OBG's, like Mike's, that I've seen have all been veneer's, but they might have made some with fully flamed caps. Also both lines have long tenon construction.

My 335 had Gibson Bill Lawrence "circuitboard" pick ups in it, but I didn't care for them so I swapped em for Antiquities. My Orville LP Standard is a 2 piece back, the original owner had upgraded the pots, caps & had a Burstbucker 2 & 3 in it, but I thought it sounded to much like my R9 so I put in a 498t & 490r. It's a cool hard rocking machine. IMO

Forum Moderator PatentAppliedFor's Avatar

and yes they have long neck tenons

Here is my 91 OBG Custom. Solid body, long neck tenon, 57 Classic's. Great guitar.
    http://images.lilypix.com/albums/use...10-7-9_024.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member
    Out here on the perimeter, stoned/immaculate

I got an Orville Custom back in the late '90's and I still have it. I changed out the pups and had it routed for a middle pup. It's one of the very few that I've seen that actually has an Ebony fingerboard. Great guitar all the way around. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I hadn't routed it as the middle pup gets in the way of my playing even with the pup lowered. I just thought it would look cool, and it does, but I never even use the middle pup. I had it wired in for awhile but now it's wired up standard.
    A smile relieves a heart that grieves.

I've got an Orville project that's just about finished. I kinda like this guitar. Made cheaply compared to a standard Gibson but still feels great and hopefully make a good player:
    (before pic)

Les Paul Forum Member
    Out here on the perimeter, stoned/immaculate

I see alot of these over here Kerry. I've had two myself. They are really cool guitars with glued on necks as opposed to neck thru the body construction.
    A smile relieves a heart that grieves.

Quote Originally Posted by gmann View Post
    I see alot of these over here Kerry. I've had two myself. They are really cool guitars with glued on necks as opposed to neck thru the body construction.
    The headstock is also scarfed on which is something you would hopefully not find on any standard Gibson but still a very good utility instrument. I'm hoping my Firebird/Tele hybrid will turn into my regular player.....

Les Paul Forum Member lefty lespaul's Avatar

Just got back form Japan myself. The amount of LPs over there was insane. Orville , Greco and Burny everywhere. Also Cheaper Grassroots and Blitz everywhere. Nice guitar.

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

These older Japanese copies are great guitars, i played many of them (from 70s and 80s) and really some of them could compare to current Gibson USA production without problems. These old Japanese VH pickups were nice too.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

1970 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

I got an Orville Custom back in the late '90's and I still have it. I changed out the pups and had it routed for a middle pup. It's one of the very few that I've seen that actually has an Ebony fingerboard. Great guitar all the way around. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I hadn't routed it as the middle pup gets in the way of my playing even with the pup lowered. I just thought it would look cool, and it does, but I never even use the middle pup. I had it wired in for awhile but now it's wired up standard.
    I have one of those, all mahogany and an ebony board. It gets more play time than any git in the house. Zhangbuckers, CTS pots and Russian PIO caps are the only changes.

Update

I am deeply in love with this guitar at the moment; I just can't stop playing it. It had sat in the case for quite a while and I'd thought of selling it a few times. I was just about to advertise it as for sale and then made the mistake of getting it out of the case and playing the damn thing. I played an entire gig with it on Friday without picking up my #1, and that's never happened before, even when I've picked up my much loved Tele or '67 SG Special for a couple of tunes. Glad I gave it another shot, it's definitely a keeper.

Apart from a set-up to my tastes the only mod I've done is to wire the pots and caps "50s" style, which really woke up the pickups. They both sound so much sweeter now. Thinking of adding a push/pull pot to get some out-of-phase tones.

Anyway, just wanted to come back here and say how it had worked out.

I probably should've added in the first post that I bought this guitar from somara.com

Ps. Interesting how this thread has been moved from Backstage, where I initially posted it, to The Other Gibsons...
    Last edited by Ad_02Std; 11-24-11 at 05:13 AM.

I have a 1988 Terada built orville by gibson double cut cherry les paul junior... Amazing guitar, with gibson usa p90, electronics and hardware and a very nice nitro finish, much like an older guitar. I love it, and it's staying.

I've also played some other of their orville by gibson line of reissues, and all were very nice. Plus I've had a 94 regular orville SG guitar, which while not being nitro was truly excelent and sometimes I think I should have kept that one too.

Overall nice guitars, if you choose them properly, much like any other brand.

Don't own either one of these now but they were both great guitars.

The best responses we get from an audience are when we do our worst material.
    - Frank Zappa

I bought /sold a lot of them back in 2001/2002. Very nice copies for the money. The best part is for the price of a real R9 you can have a whole collection of them.
    ........Each one, teach one.........

Do all OBG's have thin neck's? Mine had a very thin neck.

My 335 did, my LP didn't.
    The best responses we get from an audience are when we do our worst material.
    - Frank Zappa

Les Paul Forum Member

Man these are very well made...a lot better than the Korean and Chinese built modelsThw woods are higher quality. A bit better than the plain Orvilles and the Japan built Epis. I have found an Epi by Gibson I want. its kinda pricey but really like it.

Les Paul Forum Member

J45 would you ever consider selling the Orville by G firebird ?

I get your point, but would still like to see pix if you have any. I probably looks pretty cool.