• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960 Les Paul on Pawn Stars Tonight at 9:00 CST

JRW8214@AOL.COM

It was post 1970 pancake body with a volute neck, giant headstock with witch hat knobs. You could see it wasn't a vintage custon when he put the 60's/70's black case with no peble finish on the counter. The younger dad brought in an expert that set him straight.

So did they buy it or send the guy packing?

czarivan

So did they buy it or send the guy packing?

the guy was looking to get 25k and they broke his heart when they told him they'd give him 2k.

as he walked away from the shop he said that the value would have to go up by a lot before he sold it.... in at the rate it's going, that thing is going to unglue at the pancake any minute.

Mike M.

I watched that show as well. While I am NO expert I find it impossible to believe that the owner was so wrong about the year of the guitar. No way. That whole thing had to have been staged in an attempt to tell people "don't try to con us because we have ways of authenticating items."

Ad_02Std

Can you guys believe Steven Seagul(if thats how you spell it) has his own reality cop show now???

Steven-Seagull-Large.jpg

MapleFlame

A quick search of Wiki reveals that nobody named Rod was a member of either band... :hmm

Rev, I meant the Shows producers, I should have been clear on that. I must admit that the Guy (Rod) did a great job faking the I shocked look if that was the case. Yeah I gave up on reality TV after the first Bachelor, American Idol etc... It's just to scripted to even pay attention too.

Rev.WillieVK

Rev, I meant the Shows producers, I should have been clear on that. I must admit that the Guy (Rod) did a great job faking the I shocked look if that was the case.

'Rod' himself said that he played with Triumph and Toto in the '80s, then pawn owner says something like 'The hair band days...". Rod was presented as a professional touring musician and he probably is/was.

IMO Rod most likely believed the guy that sold it to him years ago, and was never curious enough to research it. OTOH even in the '80s a '60 LPC was not as cheap as a new one and lots of touring musicians would have retired the 'valuable' one.

Whatever. I just watched it because I got the heads-up from a friend and wanted to see the spectacle. At least it was a single-cut carved top Les Paul - I predicted it would be a yellow LP Special. :biggrin:

65fastbk

Rod never owned that guitar in the 90s.

That was SET UP for a TV show.

The only true part of that whole thing is he got to tour with those bands with his band opening. :)
end of story.

Rev.WillieVK

Ah, plausible deniability!

"I played with ZXYQ..."
You were never in ZXYQ!
"I mean I played on a stage with ZXYQ..."
You never played on a stage with ZXYQ!
"OK my band played on a tour with ZXYQ."
Your band never played on a tour with ZXYQ!
"Alright! OK. My band once played on a stage that was once played on by ZXYQ."

And yes, I hate 'reality TV' and know it is as fake as anything out there. I feel bad for Rod that he was shown as fairly clueless on national TV.

DHBucker

Toured with Triump and Toto????? what morons to think this was a 60 LP.

Exactly!! You would think he would have known about his own guitar IF he was playing with those bands as a member,hack, or warm up act. If he was the replacement for Ric Emmett he would have to be a good enough player to really KNOW his instrument. Or am I being a hardass? I thought he just made people believe the old airhead rock guitar player stereotype. And the "pawn stars" made us all say, "yep they really are what we think they are".....

I was so jazzed to think that we might actually see something cool and when they talked about their expert, I thought for a minute."Hmmm high dollar network show...they could afford to get the Ganz on there!!! Then I saw the body seam split and the headstock and the volute and I was bummed....I'll never watch that silly shit of a show (say that really fast while holding the tip of your tongue :bike ),again.

Tuco

Reality TV came from the USA

Speaking as an american, i apologise. "Reality" tv shows are the worst thing thats happened to tv in my humble opinion.

I thought "reality TV" came to the U.S. from Japan, via Great Britain. Although it seems that U.S. television producers milked it for all it was worth and then some . . . and then some more . . . and then . . . .

zombiwoof

I saw that episode and as soon as I saw the pancake body I knew it wasn't a 1960 LP. I was relieved when the "expert" they brought in verified this detail. He also pointed out the volute, which I hadn't noticed. If it was for real, I think the guy trying to sell the guitar hoped the shop wouldn't know the difference.

Al

27sauce

I could be mistaken but I think I recognized the expert from Cowtown Vintage.

Jim Barth

"I wouldn't get out of an electric chair to watch either".

THAT is funny.